Release Thunderbird

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Thunderbird, the mail client from Mozilla.

In fact, it's "Earlybird", the beta version of Thunderbird.

preview3.png

Note that it comes without any extension or language pack, but extension (like Lightning, the Calendar module) can be installed from within Thunderbird :) .

For language pack, you can find them here, and then I suggest you install a Laguage Switcher AddOn.

On first start, if you are on a Fat32 SDCard, you may have an error message at the creation of the profile (thunderbird_error.png). Just validate and ignore the error, the profile is created just fine.

History log

========

Build 03

----------

• Fresh new build
  • Updates sources to v40
Build 02

----------

• Added gnugp inside the PND, so hopefully enigmail is usable
Build 01

----------

• Initial build
  • Based on Earlybird v28
Enigmail for the Pandora is here: enigmail-1.6-linux-arm-gcc3.xpi.zip, it's a little hacked version to make it instalable on Pandora.

Attachments

• enigmail-1.6-linux-arm-gcc3.xpi.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
Last edited by a moderator:
post-5182-0-66700000-1396551534.png

Seems to launch, but no idea if it really works (I haven't setup anything to do a real test).

I will publish an updated Thunderbird PND (with gnugp inside) and a hacked experimental enigmail.xpi soon...

thunderbird_enigmail.png

Woohoo! Encrypted Thunderbirds are go!

So, I update the Thunderbird PND to add gnupg to the PND.

After updating to build 02, you can try enigmail. But you have to grab the hacked version I have posted in 1st post (the normal version won't install on anything else then x86).

I have no idea if it really run, I just now it launch, so please report sucess/ failure.

Build 02

----------

• Added gnugp inside the PND, so hopefully enigmail is usable

Oh YES! Mail works pretty good. But unfortunately Lightning plugin does not work for me :(

I can load the calendar-tab, but it is kind of broken (it shows the calendar toolbar twice and everything is greyed out). After switching back and forth (to inbox and back to the calendar tab) there is only one calendar toolbar, but still everything is greyed out. Also I can't change to week, multiweek or month view, or create or view any events ... I also tried the seperate UI plugin for lightning, same problem ...

Thank you. I have been waiting a long time for this. Downloading now.

Oh YES! Mail works pretty good. But unfortunately Lightning plugin does not work for me :(

I can load the calendar-tab, but it is kind of broken (it shows the calendar toolbar twice and everything is greyed out). After switching back and forth (to inbox and back to the calendar tab) there is only one calendar toolbar, but still everything is greyed out. Also I can't change to week, multiweek or month view, or create or view any events ... I also tried the seperate UI plugin for lightning, same problem ...
Yes, I see that. It seems there are some undefined classes(lightning_error.png). Some things missing in my compilation? :( That doesn't look easy to fix.

... just noticed another problem: the window doesn't fit the screen. when you go fullscreen and open a long mail, the scroll bar (and bottom-most part of the mail) vanish behind the taskbar. Looks like several parts of the UI have have a fixed minimum-size.

About Lightning, I have no idea what I am talking about, but ... ;) ... it sais something about .js files, could it be a missing Java-support? Also Firefox can't run Java apps because there is no plugin for it?

Anyway, thanks a lot for trying. I can imagine bringing it this far was already quite a challenge, and in principle it runs very well!

... just noticed another problem: the window doesn't fit the screen. when you go fullscreen and open a long mail, the scroll bar (and bottom-most part of the mail) vanish behind the taskbar. Looks like several parts of the UI have have a fixed minimum-size.

About Lightning, I have no idea what I am talking about, but ... ;) ... it sais something about .js files, could it be a missing Java-support? Also Firefox can't run Java apps because there is no plugin for it?

Anyway, thanks a lot for trying. I can imagine bringing it this far was already quite a challenge, and in principle it runs very well!
The Fullscreen sometime goes bigger than screen yes. Do Alt-Space to bring X11 System menu and go back non-fullscreen to make the screen the right size. UI Sizing is difficult to track, I wont do that before it's fully functionnal.

JS should be present. It is compiled in. And don't mix Java and JavaScript. For Java, you will most probably need the Java PND installed and running. JavaScript should run out of the box.

Dude you are genuinely amazing.

That add on for enigmail *seems* to be working. It's not recognising my private key so I've not yet encrypted/decrypted any emails and I won't attempt so until Saturday when my fiancee is back just in case I bugger my key up and then I can't read her emails :p

But I will test Saturday when she's back and therefore if I screw up the keys I can just remake them :p  

The Fullscreen sometime goes bigger than screen yes. Do Alt-Space to bring X11 System menu and go back non-fullscreen to make the screen the right size. UI Sizing is difficult to track, I wont do that before it's fully functionnal.
When I said "fullscreen" I actually wanted to say "maximise", sorry.

I used some of the provided options to get smaller toolbars and fit more of the message on the screen (e.g. use smaller icons, not text). I think it is quite usable that way. Only the mail header is a bit too large for my taste, and the window falls off the screen on the bottom. Probably the Lightning plugin will have a similar problem, almost everything seems to have fixed minimum size ... it surely makes sense to think this fine-tuning last, as you said.

Back