Time for speculations: First dummy board video

Well, they best absorb UV light since it's higher frequency than visible light and thus higher energy (for the same given amplitude). Actually, it probably works even better on X-rays, but is pretty indifferent to Radio 2.

But either way, they still recharge using visible light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not in favor of anything that glows automatically without having an option to switch it off. It can be distracting, and I can thumb-type blindly anyway.

I'm fine with a keyboard backlight if that's what people want. I would probably very rarely use it myself, but that's OK - as long as it can be switched off, no damage is done.

Well, they best absorb UV light since it's higher frequency than visible light and thus higher energy (for the same given amplitude). Actually, it probably works even better on X-rays, but is pretty indifferent to Radio 2.

But either way, they still recharge using visible light.
I might be speaking out of my butt here (please someone with more clue tell me if I am), but I don't think it works that way. Fluorescense happens when specific frequencies of EM radiation excite electrons to move to a higher energy level. The electrons then collapse back in more than one step, causing several photons to be emitted with different (lower) frequencies than the initial one. The absorbed, emitted and reflected frequencies depend on the material. But the material must be able to absorb the frequency the EM radiation comes in, eg. have an energy level at electron energy level + photon energy. It's not just about the total energy in unless you're talking about wide-spectrum enough EM radiation to contain both visible light and the frequencies resulting in fluorescense, like daylight or incandescent bulb.

EDIT: not all energy state drops emit photons :p

I can thumb-type blindly anyway.
I can almost do the same, but I have to see the location of the keys (not the symbols) to type on them. I often use my Pandora in bed with light turned off (sleeping girl friend), this would be great for me :) .

I'm not in favor of anything that glows automatically without having an option to switch it off. It can be distracting, and I can thumb-type blindly anyway.

I'm fine with a keyboard backlight if that's what people want. I would probably very rarely use it myself, but that's OK - as long as it can be switched off, no damage is done.
Same here. It should be possible to acticate and deactivate.

I need backlighting especcially for the Fn-symbols.

Can't we have 2 keymats. One for glow in the dark, one for normal use? You can order different cases now (black and silver), why can't you order different keymats? So everyone can get what he wants :) . Maybe charge 5$ or something more for the glow in the feature.

Manufacturing two type of keymats (normal ones, glow in the dark ones) in large enough quantities so that a manufacturer accept the order is not possible (or rather not affordable). IIRC they had to order at least 10000 pandora cases to find a manufacturer, and they had a hard time to find someone accepting an order that small…

Since the plastics will be different, each variant of the keymat may need its custom-made mold (and mold making is fÙ¢#ng expensive) depending on the plastics used (plastic tend to retract after molding, but that shrinking depends of the materials, the additives etc. used in the plastic).

Honestly, forget it!

I'd rather have a nice backlit keyboard, that kind of leds don't suck that much power from batteries (don't forget that they don't need to be as bright as backlight in a screen).

Can't we have 2 keymats. One for glow in the dark, one for normal use? You can order different cases now (black and silver), why can't you order different keymats? So everyone can get what he wants :) . Maybe charge 5$ or something more for the glow in the feature.
1. Glow in the dark stuff is complete bollocks inside of a clamshell. It's either backlight or nothing.

2. Changing a keymat in a second? Your a magician! Your definition of "possibility to activate and deactivate" is interesting though.

@B-Zar I don't know the internals of it myself. I only speak from experience of old (but not that old) GITD clock-faces that could charge from incandescent light through (mostly UV-opaque) glass, and combining that with your assertion that it works best with UV, which sounds likely to me.

The stuff about elevated electrons sounds very like metallic reflection to me. That would suggest that that elevated state can't persist for more than an instant, and certainly not the many minutes expected of phosphorescent paint. I suspect there's an actual reversible chemical change going on internally which gradually achieves entropy in absence of input light by releasing light - that light release might very well be due to electrons settling down, but I don't know. Like I say, I'm very much out of my depth here.

@B-Zar I don't know the internals of it myself. I only speak from experience of old (but not that old) GITD clock-faces that could charge from incandescent light through (mostly UV-opaque) glass, and combining that with your assertion that it works best with UV, which sounds likely to me.
Most of those old clocks used radium or tritium in the paint so that they could keep emitting light even with very low exposure to light.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_dials

There is actually glow-in-the-dark paint that needs about 1 minute sunlight to glow for approx. 12 hours.

It's patented though, and probably not easy to get.
Strontium aluminate is patented?  It's been used for more than 20 years, so the patents are presumably expired now.

There is actually glow-in-the-dark paint that needs about 1 minute sunlight to glow for approx. 12 hours.

It's patented though, and probably not easy to get.
 Strontium aluminate is patented?  It's been used for more than 20 years, so the patents are presumably expired now.
There's a more recent one, it has been produced by some company about two years ago (it's from UK).

I know "The One" watches use it. It's a lot better than that old one.

I only speak from experience of old (but not that old) GITD clock-faces
Most of those old clocks used radium or tritium in the paint so that they could keep emitting light even with very low exposure to light.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_dials
Yeah, I know about those, which is why I wrote 'but not that old'. The one I'm thinking of was probably made late '60s, early '70s and would dim to nothing in under an hour after the light was turned out, so it had no independent source of energy.

@B-ZaR Cheers for the link. I'm still largely none the wiser once it moves into quantum mechanics, but the similarity to reflection and fluorescence is interesting.

2. Changing a keymat in a second? Your a magician! Your definition of "possibility to activate and deactivate" is interesting though.
Nope but I can decide during my order which one I want. So people who don't want it, just have a normal keymat and people who want to use, can have a glow in the dark keymat.

The clam shell preventing light is probably a bigger problem.

Back