Time for speculations: First dummy board video

Also, can we keep the way the nubs spin in circles endlessly? I prefer how fluid it is moving the nub without them being fixed in place. :p
Jerk!

loljk

Its annoying when im trying to move to the upper left corner and im pushing from the lower right of the nub. if im slightly off line it spins around killing my range of motion

Actually I prefer 4 action buttons, it's nicely symmetric with the dpad. We have a full keyboard if more buttons are needed. I rather use 4 action buttons, easy to find and remember, together with 2 hard to find keyboard buttons, than 6 action buttons that are all a bit hard to find and remember.

N64

StreetFighter 2-X

Darkstalkers 1-X

SegaGenesis

ptitSebs lots of PC-game ports...

could all use more action buttons.

I would leave a little space between the first two and the rest, like on N64 but with only one size,

because usually you got two main actions and several additional ones for which you have to move your thumb anyway, these could use their own 4 way orientation.

The idea was good at N64, but poorly executed, because the C-Buttons were too small and too high.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love glow in the dark keys (no backlight, you know the trouble with icp2). Even if they are not bright, it would help to know where the keys are (not recognize the symbol of the key) and where some special keys like space is.

Edit:

Something like this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/677643-fluorescent-stickers-instead-backlit-keyboard.html

Or this:

GlowInTheDarkKeypad.jpg

Edit2: Bigger glow in the dark stickers are avaible for 2$ per keyboard: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/521503560/fluorescence_Taiwan_chinese_language_Laptop_Keyboard.html

Last edited by a moderator:
N64

StreetFighter 2-X

Darkstalkers 1-X

SegaGenesis

ptitSebs lots of PC-game ports...

could all use more action buttons.

I would leave a little space between the first two and the rest, like on N64 but with only one size,

because usually you got two main actions and several additional ones for which you have to move your thumb anyway, these could use their own 4 way orientation.

The idea was good at N64, but poorly executed, because the C-Buttons were too small and too high.
Yes, 6 action buttons would be nice.  Would it be possible to make the action buttons a bit smaller and a tiny bit closer to each other then 6 would fit?

I would love glow in the dark keys (no backlight, you know the trouble with icp2). Even if they are not bright, it would help to know where the keys are (not recognize the symbol of the key) and where some special keys like space is.

Edit:

Something like this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/677643-fluorescent-stickers-instead-backlit-keyboard.html

Or this:

GlowInTheDarkKeypad.jpg

Edit2: Bigger glow in the dark stickers are avaible for 2$ per keyboard: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/521503560/fluorescence_Taiwan_chinese_language_Laptop_Keyboard.html
I would still really like a backlit keyboard, myselfAnd the issue with the iCP2 was craig, not the leds and keymat tbc

^If you can see the keys in the dark, why would you care if it's backlight or glow-in-the-dark ones?  I would go with the latter as no need to wast battery life if you can still see it in the dark.

And the issue with the iCP2 was craig, not the leds and keymat tbc
The issue with the icp2 was a bad manager who did not see how problematic last minute changes are. The cad file seemed legit with the change of the case. I think it was expensive to change it and to produce the changed one. Not sure if ED could afford it. I would prefer keyboard backlight too.

Its annoying when im trying to move to the upper left corner and im pushing from the lower right of the nub. if im slightly off line it spins around killing my range of motion
Don't push; either slide or pull. The edges of the nub are raised for a reason same as why the inner part has some friction-adding forms. You're supposed to keep your thumb on top of the nub :)

Don't push; either slide or pull. The edges of the nub are raised for a reason same as why the inner part has some friction-adding forms. You're supposed to keep your thumb on top of the nub :)
I have short thumbs and will use my device however I damn well please :p If need be I can take them off and reattach them with superglue though so its no big deal

Btw, my 1ghz wouldnt turn on yesterday :( I think it broke somehow

+ for having coloured user-programmable buttons

how about:

Power

<red>

<yellow>

<green>

<blue>

"Safe" mode, disable radios, mic, speakers etc

Love the look of the new nubs, wonder if these are an off the shelf component or purpose built for P2?

Glow in the Dark keys are useless onto a clamshell device tha rests mostly closed if not used. ;)

I say make a propper backlight right from the beginning, it shouldn't be that hard. And no, iCP2 fail had not much to do with the backlight!

Good point, but if you use a lot during day, you can keep using it during the night. But I see the problem if it stays in the pocket for a long time or lies on the table closed.

Glow in the dark also doesn't stay lit very long one the light input is gone (although I guess that might not be a problem if you can half close the lid and recharge them pretty much instantly).  But the main problem I see is that they're just not that bright compared to the blazing LCD situated just above.  If you look at the screen your pupils will shrink as to make the keys invisible anyway.

Glow in the dark also doesn't stay lit very long one the light input is gone (although I guess that might not be a problem if you can half close the lid and recharge them pretty much instantly).  But the main problem I see is that they're just not that bright compared to the blazing LCD situated just above.  If you look at the screen your pupils will shrink as to make the keys invisible anyway.
Actually I suspect that the screen would not be very effective at recharging the effect either,  it takes a lot more light exposure to effectively "recharge" a glow in the dark object than what the LCD puts out.

- Neelix

Back