Time To Make Some Money

hedwards said:
lincruste said:
You might want to spend that unwanted money of yours by donating to developers. Their work WILL make Pandora live.
This. While I wouldn't have been likely to spend any more money on the console up front, donating is something that I'd be far more likely to do once I've got hardware in my hands and a clear idea what I'm donating for.
Me too ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Xenu said:
I think it's time for OP-team to make some money out of this. Increase the price from $330 to $349 wont make much difference. Why not double that increase to $369 or $379 for all the hard unpaid work you do? Or if you don't like money ;) why not increase the price and hire a code monkey to polish the software since that seems to be a disapointment with many users. If people knew that some of the money went directly to a software developer I think that they would be willing to pay $369 or $379 - I know I would.

I think it's awesome that you're volunteering to send them a check for the difference on what you paid!!! Good for you man! I'm assuming you're doing just that right? Or is this one of those things that everyone else should do? :)

Nailz said:
Xenu said:
I think it's time for OP-team to make some money out of this. Increase the price from $330 to $349 wont make much difference. Why not double that increase to $369 or $379 for all the hard unpaid work you do? Or if you don't like money ;) why not increase the price and hire a code monkey to polish the software since that seems to be a disapointment with many users. If people knew that some of the money went directly to a software developer I think that they would be willing to pay $369 or $379 - I know I would.

I think it's awesome that you're volunteering to send them a check for the difference on what you paid!!! Good for you man! I'm assuming you're doing just that right? Or is this one of those things that everyone else should do? :)
Yeah thanks xenu
when you've sent the cheque,please let us all know, so we can all give you a pat on the back.Its peoples generosity like that which keeps the pandora project going.
Well done

If you think of the Pandora as a console then it is expensive.

If you think of it as a full blown pocket computer then it's pretty good value.

If you think of it as both (and you should) then it's a real bargain even if the price rises a little...

BaDToaD said:
If you think of the Pandora as a console then it is expensive.

If you think of it as a full blown pocket computer then it's pretty good value.

If you think of it as both (and you should) then it's a real bargain even if the price rises a little...
It is, but only if you have the money to spend on such things. A Bently for only 250k is a bargain, but I doubt many people would be buying one at that price anyways.

Xenu said:
I think it's time for OP-team to make some money out of this. Increase the price from $330 to $349 wont make much difference.

Actually I'd say $349 is the same as $330 two years ago - if you get about +3% per year. Wheres the increase? ;-)

wil hood said:
Nailz said:
Xenu said:

Yeah thanks xenu
when you've sent the cheque,please let us all know, so we can all give you a pat on the back.Its peoples generosity like that which keeps the pandora project going.
Well done

You guys are too modest: it's heroes like you, that mock people who suggest ways to support and expand the project, who to whom we really owe a debt of gratitude to.

Kicker said:
people who suggest ways to support and expand the project

It takes a bit more than to suggest upping the price to "support" and "expand" the project.
It would need some elaboration to fill this post with reasons why upping the price beyond $349 would be a bad idea, but as English is not my first language, I won't sacrifice the time for it.

It would actually work out ok for the dev team to up the price to $500 maybe. They are only a few people, there is no big staff to feed, costs are low, cause most of the work is outsourced. There are enough geeks out there who got some money to waste and they sell globally via internet, so they reach their audience pretty well. First batchers could sell their devices for a pretty good price on ebay. OPT will lose their depts, buy some nice cars, houses and are happy.

Now it's up to you to tell what _is_ the "project". What is the idea behind all this?

mali said:
It would actually work out ok for the dev team to up the price to $500 maybe. They are only a few people, there is no big staff to feed, costs are low, cause most of the work is outsourced. There are enough geeks out there who got some money to waste and they sell globally via internet, so they reach their audience pretty well. First batchers could sell their devices for a pretty good price on ebay. OPT will lose their depts, buy some nice cars, houses and are happy.

Admittedly, I'm only 1 person, but $500 is more than I make in a week. Granted I haven't received mine yet, but I don't think that the Pandoras are really worth more than a week's wages. I mean that's nearly half a month's rent right there, or a month's if you're really lucky. I just don't see people being willing to buy enough of them at that cost to make it work out well.

The decision to up the price to $350 was smart, as has been pointed out, that's basically a non-raise, when you account for 2 years worth of inflation, even a price cut if you consider the real rate of inflation. A price hike of that magnitude would require a significant reason in order to justify it. In the end, I just don't picture them making any more money, they might even make less money as people decide they'd rather have a large game library from Sony or Nintendo for the price.

Kicker said:
You guys are too modest: it's heroes like you, that mock people who suggest ways to support and expand the project, who to whom we really owe a debt of gratitude to.

Man, you guys and your "owing a debt of gratitude", that's a huge theme out here isn't it. There's no mocking involved here, I just want to make sure that if he is worried about the OPT getting some extra money that he's indeed writing them a check for it...

It's like the people suggesting new games, programs, software, etc., and then saying "I don't know how to code any of it and I don't want to be involved, but it sounds cool".

How am I supporting you may ask? Well, I signed up for this day one, lived with the hassle of the whole credit card rejection issue, spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to get a wire transfer done with my bank, waited about 18+ months to get one. When I do get mine, I will load it up with software and games, report bugs should I find any and enjoy what people put out there, as I am one of those who doesn't code or do artwork or music, which I would assume is about 90% of us.

So you'll pardon me if when someone comes up with these "we should all pony up some more dough" threads, I just want to actually see the original poster do just that...

What would be fairer is if everyone payed a subscription,say $5 a month, to download what they want from the apps store,that way no one would feel penalised for being a second or third batcher and the money could go to the developers.Thats a suggestion the op team could think about.

wil hood said:
What would be fairer is if everyone payed a subscription,say $5 a month, to download what they want from the apps store,that way no one would feel penalised for being a second or third batcher and the money could go to the developers.Thats a suggestion the op team could think about.
All around bad idea. The logistics would be a major headache. Plus, I'm not a fan of subscription software.

mali said:
Now it's up to you to tell what _is_ the "project". What is the idea behind all this?
:ph34r:

You've got me there: I have some pretty heavily loaded expectations and plans. I mostly just meant "These guys, here, doing a thing that is good, so they know they can continue to do it and make a living, and so others will know they can too." But I also meant Open Source Hardware in general: making people expect to own and understand their electronics.

But yes, a more practical suggestion would be for them to sell branded accessories or t-shirts or something.

Alerino said:
with intensive marketing,
I believe that Craig tried that with the GP2X (paying for space in some big magazines) and found that intensive marketing isn't worth it with these sorts of devices - they just don't work that way. They get spread by word of mouth; from the bottom rather than from the top.

I mean, look at this community. For an outsider coming in, it looks a bit like a strange city with its own economy and customs. Usually the community forums are controlled by the company; here it's the other way around.

Esn said:
I believe that Craig tried that with the GP2X (paying for space in some big magazines) and found that intensive marketing isn't worth it with these sorts of devices - they just don't work that way. They get spread by word of mouth; from the bottom rather than from the top.

I mean, look at this community. For an outsider coming in, it looks a bit like a strange city with its own economy and customs. Usually the community forums are controlled by the company; here it's the other way around.
Provided you have a good product, word of mouth is extremely valuable. Having somebody show you how it works, especially if they're not being paid to is a huge motivating factor for a lot of people to buy something. I personally wasn't going to buy a GBA sp until I saw somebody using one and was like, that's pretty cool. I'm sure that as these devices make their way out and people use them in public that'll happen as well.

Also, we have no weird customs here, that thread about nubs was totally normal for amoral perverts.

hedwards said:
Also, we have no weird customs here, that thread about nubs was totally normal for amoral perverts.

Speaking as a new person, the two months jokes are pretty tired.

Nailz said:
So you'll pardon me if when someone comes up with these "we should all pony up some more dough" threads, I just want to actually see the original poster do just that...

Why should I? I have bought my pandora with extra everything on, and I gave money to the developers fund. This was the market price we first batchers paid. And it included a higher risk. We paid what we should pay at that time. Now when the second batch is soon to be coming, the risk is much lower the software will be much more mature, and the pandora team should get money for all their work. If I buy a second pandora, and I probably will, I have no problem in paying a fair price for it.

I'm not a fan of donations, so if you want to throw more money to the Pandora project you can buy my iPhone game which I'm releasing in a few days.

That way you get A) An awesome cartoon adventure game and B) to help fund further Pandora goodness.

Back