Timing Out/Process Error

UpTreeLooking

Still Fresh
Well I just recently got a GP32 and got my smartmedia cards today.
So I go through installing the driver and authorization process. But I'm having problems with the PC-Link.
Well first some times when I load it it Times Out. Then when I try to format the SMC it has some process error (Whether this is the gp or the computer idk), and then the formatting times out.

I've tried reinstalling the Pc-Link. I've tried 3 diff USB ports. And I've also tried on my dad's laptop.

I have no clue what's wrong. I'm thinking it's something with my GP or something wrong that I'm doing.

Also I don't think my SMC are defective because I've tried using 2 different ones.

Timeouts... mind telling me when? As in how far through files?

I'm guessing 256Kb, which is usually a sympton of, say, using Pacrom on a windows 98 system, but can be other things.

Also, to get it originally recognised, you have to turn on the GP32, plug it in, then go to PC-Link mode in that order, and TEHN load up PL-Link on the computer. Oh, and if you either quit PC-Link, or exit link-mode, you need to turn off GP32/back on/re-plug in in order to avoid errors.

That's a brief advice thingamy - tell me if it works or not.

I tried it in that order and i still get errors

steps of what happens:
Click file then format
"do you want to format" I click ok
"an error occured in GP32 during process" i click ok
"you will lost all data in SMC. process anyway?" i click yes
the now formating windcomes up and it unresponsive for about half a minuet and then the Time Out box comes up.

Also sometimes i get a commincation error.

one more thing: what about card readers?

Are they a good solution? I'm asking because I heard that once you get the folders set up on them there're better then Pc-Link. (also i'm heading to the mall tonight so i could pick up one)

If they are a good solution, could someone give me a load down on the way to use them for GP?

Card readers work great, a lot faster and more flexible. The only thing you can't use the cardreader for is installing ZPK files.

Does anyone know what's the source of my problem?
Is it my computer, or my gp32, or me that's doing something wrong. I went on to the gp32emu board and someone has basically the same problem as me and they got theirs recently from gbax.com just like me.

This is exactly what I was getting (I got my GP32 last week). It turned out to be the PC I was using, I tried it in my other PC and it was fine.

Sorry, no real techy stuff to help you, just bad USB interface/drivers/whatever to blame I guess.....

Well I tried it on my dad's laptop with the same result. I went over to gp32emu boards and someone had the same exact problem. But the thing is he got his recently and got it from gbax.com(where i got mine). He said he sent it back and they're going to check it out.

Hopefully it'll turn out to be a problem that they can fix.

*sigh* why can't things work on the first try?

alright well I sent gbax some emails. They said for me to send the GP32 back to them and get a refund or a replacement, but I can't decide what to do. I could get a refund and then buy one from play-asia, or I could hope for the best and get a replacement. Anyone have any suggestions?

Many hundreds/thousands(?) of people have bought from GBAx with no problems - I would grab another from them. They've been nice to you so far...

I got mine from GBax also. I was convinced it must have been the cable that was faulty, tried it in another PC and it was fine. I strongly suggest you try it in another PC (other than your dads laptop). Maybe one at work/school/college whatever.
It's worth giving it another go than going to the trouble of sending it back right?

well the thing is my USB is working fine with my mp3 player. I'm almost positive it's the gp32. Why? Because well one thing mp3 player works fine, and someone else posted a topic at gp32emu with the same problem and they just got it recently from gbax. Maybe their was one group of GP32s that when they installed the FLUs they installed them wrong and messed the wirering :unsure:.

sorry for bringing this topic back up again and again. it's just i really want this sorted out.

UpYOURS....!

Tell me have you been able to install the free LAUNCHER, and run any progs..? Have you been able to play any MP3s.. IF yes then your GP32 is working and invest in a card reader. IF NO the get a replacement. My GP32 had the same probs but the answer to my quest. was no and i got a replavcment.

AS for process error, its cos of the shitty PC-link and GP32 thats always gonna be there. I always get it and have to reformat my smc card to get rid of any probs and reinstall AAALLL the progs again.....! Thats why a GP32 is not for kids but for nerds...!

P.S: i am sure there ar e a few with no probs.. but sometime you will always get a process error and time out..!

Back