Tips for saving up money?

Depending on your morals getting an E-ink reader can really save you money..

But morality comes into play here. (YAR HAR DIDDLY DEE)

Also a common thing is to look for wifi routers near you. Chances are you might be able to figure out the default password for it and well. morals.

There's always ways to save money. Cheat systems, exploit loopholes in governmental funding programs, bring a laptop too a coffee shop, or sodding MC Donald's these days.

Furniture browse the free section of Craigslist. Heck you could MAKE money if you put a bit of time in it.

Check out thrift stores. NOT chain ones, the local small hole in the wall ones ran by old Christian ladies are the best!

Go to stores that seem like they should be dollar stores but aren't, look around odd places for food. I'm not joking our local menards has insanely cheap name brand food prices plus the 11% rebate.

Check coupons, make your own food. Find an antique cookbook you'll get some amazing, cheap, easy to make healthy recipes.

Heathy equals your body can process it all. Which means less empty calories or lack of things.

When I used to ( have time to cook) I would make foods that would definitely be considered unhealthy by most, but it was all natural fats and proteins which we need. If you spend a bit more on good quality food you'll eat less.

Look at pasta dishes, don't live off of ramen. I've been there..

Look at your transportation and think about what you can do.

Stop snacking. Seriously, don't buy crisps and other addicting things. Make large quantities of good quality food. Eat the left overs, or get things like cheeses or fruits and things to eat. If like everybody else in the world except me make salades.

Oh yes go to local farmers markets or depending on where you live grow a tiny garden if you have a deck to your apartment. You can do this easily I've seen people grow tomatoes and lettuce on tiny apartment balconies with ease. Also tending to your garden is therapeutic, and help ease boredom as well as give you fresh air.

Learn how to can! Get a vaccum dealer for meats, buy them on sale, cut them, seal them and freeze them. They'll last and absurdly long time!

Hell I was looking into van dwelling and did research on how to survive... maybe you should also look at ways to make money. Take stupid surveys for money, you know look up these things.

Not having girlfriend confirmed to save money. Just went through break up. Not crying about bank account though. Was able to make big ticket purchase instantly.

The power. Linux Action Show put me on Ting.
Funny. Ting put me off the Linux Action Show.
Also a common thing is to look for wifi routers near you. Chances are you might be able to figure out the default password for it and well. morals.
There are better ways to save money than this kind of dubious behaviour. You can also just go to a place with free WiFi access instead.

There are better ways to save money than this kind of dubious behaviour. You can also just go to a place with free WiFi access instead.
Sometimes leaving the house sucks. A middle ground would be splitting the cost with a neighbor.

I grew up in st.paul which is a stone throw away from Minneapolis. If you're in the us and paying attention to the news you'll understand why that says a lot.

There are many ways to save money. You just need to mostly do self eluavation. If you live in a bigger city I know some cellphone companies offer little wifi hotspots with unlimited data if you're in a concrete jungle.

The only reason why I'm not doing it is because I live in the countryside which means I don't get coverage...

honestly trying to increase your happiness can save you money. I notice I tend to buy things to coup with my issues, but when I'm "content" or happy I don't see a need. If your life is full you don't need to fill the empty parts with materialistic things you really don't need.

Just an observation and might be a bit too abstract to be taken as advice.

This may or may not feel relevant, as saving time still can cost money, but was just reading this earlier:
bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40703519

Hey guys, I never mentioned it here, but I was gifted furniture by someone. Not new, but not worn out like my old furniture.

Anyway, I got put on a prepaid debit card to manage my finances. $60 USD is on there right now, and I'm declaring it the start of my Pyra savings. Not quite sure how saving will work though. Maybe they'll keep adding money to the card each week, letting me build Pyra money on there, or maybe they'll only add on weeks when the card is low, letting me build Pyra money in my account. We'll see.

The first test is making it to next Wednesday with all $60 still on there. Wish me luck.

Why on earth would anyone save up money on a prepaid credit card? Whats wrong with keeping the notes in your pocket where they belong?

Well, they said they wanted me to be able to spend online like I usually do, they just wanted to limit it. Before I had my PayPal tied directly to my bank account. Now I can only spend what's on the card.

Admittedly, it would probably help me save more if I couldn't spend online at all...

Why on earth would anyone save up money on a prepaid credit card? Whats wrong with keeping the notes in your pocket where they belong?
Many person just cant save money that way. They need a dedicated saving space, a piggy bank.
Since he is a bit old, to have a piggy shaped thing stored somewhere, a bank account can do as good.
But sure a pre-paid credit card is probably not the best way to save money. Banks do provide accounts for saving

just saying, pseudo having money at you bank is totally different than having it in your hand.
Imaginary numbers on a screen are easy to give away but dont you dare touch my cash, its mine, MINE! Muhahaha!
Eh, i mean, it only has a value if you have it in your hand, and your brain tries to keep that.
Just imagine its a fancy video game where you need to collect cash, or something like that.

latest

I was actually just looking for a grown up piggy bank but now I have to spend some money and go hunt for this one :oops:

saving money starts with staying offline I think xD

Or perhaps just getting rid of your credit cards. Real life shops still take cash here at least, and they do in most places I suspect, so one thing you could do it get a card that only works in ATMs (assuming they haven't closed all of them near you already) and only spend cash in real shops that sell you food and more essential things (although depending where you are there are still plenty of ways to spend cash frivolously - just watch Brewsters Millions for example, but it is at least harder). It might mean that clothes and things are more expensive, but perhaps you could get a responsible adult to help with that. If you can't explain why you need something you saw on the internet, maybe that's a good reason why you don't actually need it.

Perhaps a more abstract point, but I'm thinking that it may be worth looking closely at small, repeated expenditure, and considering how it could be eliminated by a much larger one-off purchase. Bicycles look expensive (certainly the comfortable & safe ones), but if it saves you bus tickets (£4 per ticket) or petrol costs (50p per mile), it's easily worth it.

I (and I assume other humans) have a strange instinct to think that small expenditures, no matter how numerous, are always more frugal than any large one...

Guys, bad news. Long story short, I had to make a TP run. >_>

Card status now: $55 and change.

I'll be sure to remember to get TP during my grocery shopping next month, so it doesn't come off my card again.

Bicycles look expensive (certainly the comfortable & safe ones), but if it saves you bus tickets (£4 per ticket) or petrol costs (50p per mile), it's easily worth it.
I bought a relatively cheap bike (that still cost me about 100 days of public transport), but I spent almost the same again after buying it getting it just the way I liked and maintainable. From pannier bags, bells, pumps, different tyres, new inner tubes, inner tube patches and kit, helmet, tyre levers, spanners, bicycle computer (speedometer), various bike locks. Nowadays I can fix most things on it though, and know where I can get cheap new drivechains, saddles that cost half the bus fare, and can make tyres last years, it just took a little longer than I initially expected to get to this point.

Really? My bike was only €75,- and serviced me for years (a few small repairs every now and then, but nothing mayor).

We have a special word for those in the Netherlands, a "stationsfiets" or "train station bike".

Mine was 20 bucks...
Worked for a year now, but i had a flat tire just yesterday.

Yeah, I think the market for cheap bikes (under about 600EUR) is very small here, so economies of scale don't really apply (or they can articifially inflate the prices somewhat I could say if I were being uncharatable). There's definitely two kinds of bike shop here, ones where their cheapest brake blocks cost nearly 20EUR, while you can get a pair for well under 2EUR in the right kind of shop.

Well guys, I went bipolar again and picked up Persona 5 for around $32.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be banned from the Pyra community before the Pyra is even out. I'm also pretty sure I'm gonna quit Persona 5 after five hours, but at least that's five less hours you guys have to put up with me.

Damn, that next psych appointment needs to happen soon.

Back