Too Many Firmwares

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem isn't that one user has the godly dexterity required to effectively use such a terribly designed stick. (By the way, it was made to be a media player, not a game machine, as you hint at) The problem is that most users lack that sort of dexterity apparently, including myself and everyone I personally know who owns or has owned a GP2X.

So for the very same reason that I can't distribute a game that depends on a D-Pad modification only a select few people have performed, I also can't rely on this apparent stick-manipulating skill-set no one has.

I have a Mk1 and although I can deal with the stick, as Epicentre says, it has major flaws. But epicenter, stop putting the GP2x down. I support it because GPH will have more capital to design the GP3x. I hope Craig find a bloody translator to speed to the only person with sense in GPH, their engineer. Then the GP3x can be a decent handheld. The GP2x isn't all bad but I agree the stick sucks, I don't play mine enough to justify a Dpad mod though...

I have a Mk1 and although I can deal with the stick, as Epicentre says, it has major flaws. But epicenter, stop putting the GP2x down.
Direct your complaints to WarmfluffyUK who insisted on my response which you deemed inflammatory. I did not begin this debate of my own will. My opinions were requested.

sam fisher said:
I hope Craig find a bloody translator to speed to the only person with sense in GPH, their engineer. Then the GP3x can be a decent handheld.
If there's someone with sense at GPH, it's not the engineer. He did a pretty horrible job, and he was copying an already-complete design from MagicEyes. Didn't even trace it effectively.. ;) All that's good about the GP2X is user-created. Users creating emulators and other software to make the machine fun, correct faults in the firmware, even reverse-engineer the hardware and write correct kernel modules for it (a la the MMU Hack, which GPH couldn't figure out on their own because they didn't understand the design they copied, or the chipset that was the center of that design). I blame the engineer's obvious lack of any serious engineering background in general. At any rate, if it were not for the community, GPH would have nothing and wouldn't have even created a blip on the radar against all the other low-quality MP4 players out there with astonishingly similar hardware inside and out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand people's frustrations with the stick. However, I don't have a problem with using it at all.

It did feel a little odd first in that physically it's like an analogue stick, but behaves like a digital - but once I got used to it it's fine.

I must say though, that the NGPC thumbstick is far superior to that of the gp2x - if, at any point, there are any mods to turn the gp2x stick in to one like that of the NGPC then I'd be very tempted to go through with it (even at the risk of breaking my gp2x).

I have a Mk1 and although I can deal with the stick, as Epicentre says, it has major flaws. But epicenter, stop putting the GP2x down.
Direct your complaints to WarmfluffyUK who insisted on my response which you deemed inflammatory. I did not begin this debate of my own will. My opinions were requested.

sam fisher said:
I hope Craig find a bloody translator to speed to the only person with sense in GPH, their engineer. Then the GP3x can be a decent handheld.
If there's someone with sense at GPH, it's not the engineer. He did a pretty horrible job, and he was copying an already-complete design from MagicEyes. Didn't even trace it effectively.. ;) All that's good about the GP2X is user-created. Users creating emulators and other software to make the machine fun, correct faults in the firmware, even reverse-engineer the hardware and write correct kernel modules for it (a la the MMU Hack, which GPH couldn't figure out on their own because they didn't understand the design they copied, or the chipset that was the center of that design). I blame the engineer's obvious lack of any serious engineering background in general. At any rate, if it were not for the community, GPH would have nothing and wouldn't have even created a blip on the radar against all the other low-quality MP4 players out there with astonishingly similar hardware inside and out.
Well hes working for idiots, he was probably told to change some things etc. I want them to find the ones that made the GP32 again :S

:p, if he managed to design the GP32, surely he could put together something decent. People should stop being "skintey" with their money, if they want a decent GP3x, they will have to pay more, and i'm happy to pay twice the GP2x's price for one when they are made, if they are made.

Just like to add (sorry to go off topic again...) I always enjoy reading Epicenters replies even if some people do see them as 'uncalled for' negative comments. I don't think he went off topic, and points about the problems not addressed by new firmware are valid. GPH should be looking at 'revising' the stick, and fixing any outstanding bugs, not jazzing up the front end with a help / skins...

I also understand the issues relating to the blitter. I have had nothing but trouble with SDL, ie. slow in software mode, glitchy flickering in both software and hardware mode and still slow in HW for some of the stuff I have been testing out. Thanks to Alexs reply I will take a more indepth look at the minimal lib to see if I can get more out of the GP2X. The stick really does **** me off tbh - it's the main issue for me. One of the irritations I have with it is the diagonal, the contacts coming back and closing after you have already changed direction... Sure you can handle it in code, but it winds me up no end :p

Getting back on topic... I am still on FW 2.0.0, is it worth upgrading to 2.1.1 or should I now be going to 2.1.2 even though it appears to just be 2.1.1???

Thing is (dont ask me why as I have no idea), pc FPS's and the wii (since similar controls are used) give me major motion sickness

dcgm - I'm ok with PC FPSs (apart from those terrible Descent games), but would always get motion sickness with console FPSs eg. Unreal Tournament on the DC. Although, oddly not with the 360's.. maybe because they've cut down on the 'bobbing' when moving.

:p, if he managed to design the GP32, surely he could put together something decent. People should stop being "skintey" with their money, if they want a decent GP3x, they will have to pay more, and i'm happy to pay twice the GP2x's price for one when they are made, if they are made.
I wouldn't pay $380 for a handheld, at that price I would get a decent laptop for God's sake. So many people seem to already look past the GP2X, and it didn't even pass a year since the MK2 was released. This is all very puzzling to me. The GP2X is just getting started. More and more original homebrew is released every month, and there are some nice commercial games on the horizon such as Rapid Raccoon, Crocodingus, Wind and Water and most likely a slew of many others that I missed or that weren't announced yet. Show a little patience and support :)

- Alex

I'm with you, Alex, but it seems to be the way these days. They're already talking about the next Xbox, for example. I'd rather appreciate what I have than pine for something more (edit: that's a general comment about myself, not directed at anyone here).

I wouldn't pay $380 for a handheld, at that price I would get a decent laptop for God's sake. So many people seem to already look past the GP2X, and it didn't even pass a year since the MK2 was released. This is all very puzzling to me. The GP2X is just getting started. More and more original homebrew is released every month, and there are some nice commercial games on the horizon such as Rapid Raccoon, Crocodingus, Wind and Water and most likely a slew of many others that I missed or that weren't announced yet. Show a little patience and support :)

- Alex
Its been over a year since the MK1's though! Also, unlike with a mainstream console, Craig has admitted GPH don't even know what a god damn emulator is, and the one technician GPH have was an intern when the GP32 was made by gamepark. They don't have any idea what sort of design would even be good, yes we can decode Avi file thats at Megabytes per second using the fucking SoC hardware, but its no fucking use for games or emulators is it? I mean FFS. Someone needs to learn Korean and go and talk to their damn "korean only" speaking engineer and bloody explain to him a few simple facts! The i.mx31 SoC is the perfect candidate for a new system released in 2008 or whatever, 533mhz ARM11, FPU etc. It would rock. But if they do make another one we'll have another fucking DVD playing in a handheld case again maybe with a single 266mhz ARM920T. Maybe they'll use a cheaper on with a damn 940. They have no idea how to pick a bloody control stick even FFS.

Why do threads even have topic? Isn't there a threshold when moderators... erm... moderate? :unsure:
Because it's a valid topic and planning ahead is good?

Sam, did you become an anti-GP2X zealot over night? The little bugger has A LOT of power under the hood, and has a lot of software to prove it. For all you know GPH won't ever produce anything at all. It's good to do with what you have, and that's not to say don't plan ahead, but don't be so ready to dismiss the present in favour of a future that may never be.

- Alex

With many superior handheld consoles and linux platforms out there, it's important to have standards. The GP2X isn't the only game in town. The increasing number of threads regarding 'new revisions' or 'the GP3x' is indicative that this variety of dissent is not uncommon. However openly posting problems with the GP2X garners heaps and heaps of flaming (I've recieved more than my fair share of it.) So the dissenters take a different approach.

With many superior handheld consoles and linux platforms out there, it's important to have standards. The GP2X isn't the only game in town. The increasing number of threads regarding 'new revisions' or 'the GP3x' is indicative that this variety of dissent is not uncommon. However openly posting problems with the GP2X garners heaps and heaps of flaming (I've recieved more than my fair share of it.) So the dissenters take a different approach.
Ah, you and your pack of rebellious wolves. :rolleyes:

- Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back