Too Many Firmwares

Status
Not open for further replies.
unless core functionality is improved in some way

A major version change implies major changes. One major change needed is a decently done booting system. If it takes longer to boot that changes aren't there. Changes to the UI have been a higher priority than long needed system performance and coherency, which IMHO is a bad choice. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, 3.0.0 is NOT third party.
The FW is still done by GPH, with some help and ideas from craig, Fatih and me.
I did the graphical uplift, craig and Fatih did the help videos and the compressing of the software packages.
The rest is still done by GPH... and yes: It does boot longer again :(
does this mean that 3.x will by default include a compressed chunk of software? that thing craig has been talking about on irc? i advise against putting that stuff on by default. people can download themselves.

The boot times are long again? Bah, why would they do that? That makes no sense. I think i will stick with 2.0 ;)

@ epicenter why do you give a shit? Whether the new FW was a buggy mess or an elegant work of art it doesn't matter to you. You have no GP2X, no interest in it other than for bashing, so what is the point? Do you like bitching that much? Don't you have an XGP game you should be working on or something?

The boot times are long again? Bah, why would they do that? That makes no sense. I think i will stick with 2.0 ;)
What's adding to the time??? Is it loading new graphics?
Is there any way, say via dmesg or redirecting the console to a tty to find out what's happening?
Or has the clockspeed been throttled back earlier??
Seems a very unreasonable increase in boot-time.

@ epicenter why do you give a shit? Whether the new FW was a buggy mess or an elegant work of art it doesn't matter to you. You have no GP2X, no interest in it other than for bashing, so what is the point? Do you like bitching that much? Don't you have an XGP game you should be working on or something?
Morbid curiosity? .. I suppose you go to football games to scream at the audience because why should they watch from the sidelines if they can't take part in the game? They've got a lot of nerve, those fucks.

Still, Epi, it doesn't make sense.
Regardless what will be released - you bash about it.
It still wonders me why you didn't moan about the OpenGL port, because it uses the second CPU Core which means less battery life...

If you don't like the gp2x, simply don't care about it and at least don't try to moan about everything.
If I would moan about all things I don't like in this world, I would'nt have time to do anything else ever again...

Still, Epi, it doesn't make sense.
Regardless what will be released - you bash about it.
It still wonders me why you didn't moan about the OpenGL port, because it uses the second CPU Core which means less battery life...

If you don't like the gp2x, simply don't care about it and at least don't try to moan about everything.
If I would moan about all things I don't like in this world, I would'nt have time to do anything else ever again...
LOGIC, my only weakness!! How did you know?! I'VE BEEN BETRAYED!!
Getting.. dar

What's adding to the time??? Is it loading new graphics?
Is there any way, say via dmesg or redirecting the console to a tty to find out what's happening?
Or has the clockspeed been throttled back earlier??
Seems a very unreasonable increase in boot-time.

The boot process is an ugly mess... Sharp did the same with the Zaurus, they ditch sysvinit priority support and use hacked scripts...

He cannot moan about the OpenGL port, because he cannot try it, just like his recent remarks and votes should be removed from the GP2X file archive. How can you comment on something you can not try?

Oh, and if the GP2X can do amazing things like Egoboo (something I never thought I would see on the 2X!) why can it not do some simple 2D game? Oh wait, it can! It just has to be written for a GP2X not a PC, I would love to see your source code Epi.

Sorry for the off topicness...

He cannot moan about the OpenGL port, because he cannot try it, just like his recent remarks and votes should be removed from the GP2X file archive. How can you comment on something you can not try?

Oh, and if the GP2X can do amazing things like Egoboo (something I never thought I would see on the 2X!) why can it not do some simple 2D game? Oh wait, it can! It just has to be written for a GP2X not a PC, I would love to see your source code Epi.

Well Epicenter does actually have a GP2X. It was out of action before, but for all we know, he's soldered a new joystick on. Also, I've never actually seen a single comment written by Epicenter on the archives, so I don't know what you're on about there.

There seems to be a bit too much whining about Epicenter - if you don't like what he says, just ignore it. I think it'd be a change for the better if people weren't so defensive of the GP2X all the time, it does have its faults and if many people deny them (this does happen, I've no idea why) then there has to be something else to balance it out (which just happens to be Epicenter in this case, and sometimes JaqMs).

I haven't looked yet - I take it you mean rc scripts? (They use different init levels still..? (Don't know what they'd be used for in the gp2x))

Yes, you don't need some stuff running to play games (if you activated some daemons like telnet, or samba, etc), so they shouldn't be started before the menu, there's where the various script link number is useful, you can decide where on the boot process the menu can be booted, if you hack away a script that runs the daemons, menu, wtv, without careful planning you end up with the terrible boot time we have.

Check out this thread where Orkie referred that he was able to half the boot time with well planned booting process.

Why is GPH so little transparent on the firmware development?

I think he could be mixing him up with Eclipse.
I think so too. Who the hell is Eclipse anyway, most of his comments are quite rude and disrespectful, it must be very easy to put down people's work while hiding behind a handle...

- Alex

Um, you're definitely mixing me up with someone else. I don't post comments on the file archive, I don't believe I've ever posted one, and if I did it was nearly a year ago because I never visit it now.

I never said I couldn't write "a simple 2D game". However, what I'm writing isn't simple, and the GP2X won't support it to a degree I consider satisfactory. I have high standards, the GP2X does not meet them. Even when the code is written "For a GP2X, not a PC". By the way, other systems besides a PC will support it nicely, like the Dreamcast. If you can't respect my choice of development platform, it's your own fault and you're welcome to write your own version of it down the road if you feel so inclined to make it run on the GP2X. However I doubt that you will invest this effort.

I think it'd be a change for the better if people weren't so defensive of the GP2X all the time, it does have its faults and if many people deny them (this does happen, I've no idea why) then there has to be something else to balance it out (which just happens to be Epicenter in this case, and sometimes JaqMs).
Damn straight. There's so much namecalling of 'PSP fanboy', 'DS fanboy' or 'gp2x hater' these days. Not that this is new; the same thing happened with the GP32->GP2X transition. 'GP32 fanboy' and 'GP2X fanboy' factions... there's very few people on this forum with a viewpoint even close to 'objective' and 'non-biased'.

Yeah, I never thought I'd see myself defending Epicenter, but I think his criticisms of the 3.0.0 firmware are valid. (At the same time, I don't want to detract from the hard work that people HAVE put into it.) :)

I'm curious as to why the firmware development is so closed-door as well. Also, what gives with the boot time increase? I don't think anyone's actually provided a valid reason for that yet. If you guys don't know what you did to slow down the boot time, then just say so!

(random thought: has anyone looked at Upstart? http://upstart.ubuntu.com/ )
gp32_console

..there's very few people on this forum with a viewpoint even close to 'objective' and 'non-biased'.
A lot of the time you aren't one of those very few people either though ;)

Anyway, who cares about all that. As Orkie said, balance is good to have. The only time it all breaks down is when someone loses their cool, otherwise I don't see a problem.

PS - Longer boot time sucks, I don't think I'd update either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back