Top 10 Film's Ever!

firefly1201 posted on Mar 19 2005 at 06:37 PM said:
joeybob posted on Sep 4 2004 at 09:27 PM said:
wow alot of people also love the movie Donnie Darko

'tis a very cool film. You can spend ages pondering over the ending ;)

It seemed overly pessimistic and depressing to me, to be honest. And no don't say "that's because life is like that" because it's not, maybe only if you're a rich, not-too-bright and depressed teenager with too much time on his hands. But I digress...

markusdragon, I like almost all of the other films on your list (especially Brazil) but I haven't seen Akira yet. Would you say it's worth seeing for somebody who really dislikes cutesy Japanese anime or mindless violence? I know nothing about the film except that it gets high ratings on IMDB.com and it's a Japanese animation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Matrix (only #1 didn't like the others much)
House on Haunted Hill
Out Cold (Especially the Drug Test Scene were the guy shits in the cup instead of peeing :lol: )
American Pie Series
Totoro (best children's Anime Ever)
Brave Little Toaster
Eurotrip
Destroying America

Esn posted on Mar 20 2005 at 01:35 AM said:
markusdragon, I like almost all of the other films on your list (especially Brazil) but I haven't seen Akira yet. Would you say it's worth seeing for somebody who really dislikes cutesy Japanese anime or mindless violence? I know nothing about the film except that it gets high ratings on IMDB.com and it's a Japanese animation.

What's to be said about Akira... well, it's neither cutesy or mindless (but it is violent). It's kind of a weird psychological thriller based on the final couple of books of a long running manga. If you can get your head around it, it's a great film, and a milestone in Cinematography. If not, it's probably a disturbing and violent experience.

markusdragon posted on Mar 20 2005 at 02:52 AM said:
Esn posted on Mar 20 2005 at 01:35 AM said:
markusdragon, I like almost all of the other films on your list (especially Brazil) but I haven't seen Akira yet.  Would you say it's worth seeing for somebody who really dislikes cutesy Japanese anime or mindless violence?  I know nothing about the film except that it gets high ratings on IMDB.com and it's a Japanese animation.

What's to be said about Akira... well, it's neither cutesy or mindless (but it is violent). It's kind of a weird psychological thriller based on the final couple of books of a long running manga. If you can get your head around it, it's a great film, and a milestone in Cinematography. If not, it's probably a disturbing and violent experience.
Akira is the best film I've ever seen, The first time i saw it i was about 7 and didn't understand a thing but still loved its visual. I watched it a few years later a it still impresses me. I Think it was made in 88 and it looks better than alot of new anime/manga films. If you were to watch it get the subtitled ver ( we got both sub and dub) cause the american voices don't really suit the characters.

Lost in Translation
Home Alone 2
The Naked Gun
The Naked Gun 2 1/2 the smell of fear
Naked Gun 33 1/3 the final insult
Office space
Falling Down
Purely Belter
Kingpin
Loaded weapon

I just saw saw (Heh), one of the most brilliant films I have ever watched, and I didn't even know it until the last minute and a half. I could tell you why I loved it, but it would ruin the plot for you.

The only complaint I have is the actor that played Lawrence, I've seen monkies that act better. He did remind me of Caboose from RvB though.

Akira,
Princess Mononoke,
Happy Gilmore,
Basil the great mouse detective,
Blue streak,
The Godfather Trilogy (all three),
Goodfellas,
Fantasia.

(There are loads more but these are ten of them, not in any order) :rolleyes:

finty posted on Mar 20 2005 at 05:25 PM said:
I just saw saw (Heh), one of the most brilliant films I have ever watched, and I didn't even know it until the last minute and a half. I could tell you why I loved it, but it would ruin the plot for you.

The only complaint I have is the actor that played Lawrence, I've seen monkies that act better. He did remind me of Caboose from RvB though.
Which movie did you see? :huh:

The ending to Saw is much better than the shitty sixth sence which anyone who was into movies could see a mile off.

Saw is one of the best independent films to go mainstream i've seen, much better than the blair witch project. And shot in only 17 days, the guy who plays Adam is the writer of it. The other guy, Lawrence, is Cary Elwes who is actually quite famous - remember robin hood men in tights?

The reason the acting looks shit is probably because there were no rehearsals, it was shot and cut in real time I believe.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Just out of curiosity, how many people here don't mind watching a movie with subtitles? This can include foreign or "silent" movies.

Almost all of my favorite films are foreign. I'm going to pick up a subtitled copy of Turkish Star Wars, a pretty rare thing, on Wednesday (bought it on ebay, then realized that the guy lives in Toronto which is where I live). Everybody really ought to see that movie; it's PERFECT to watch with friends & pretty much makes film criticism moot (look at the IMDB ratings; people either give it 1 or 10, with little in between!). It's complete crap that's truly adorable. :p

Esn posted on Mar 22 2005 at 06:37 AM said:
Just out of curiosity at how many people here don't mind watching a movie with subtitles? This can include foreign or "silent" movies.

Almost all of my favorite films are foreign. I'm going to pick up a subtitled copy of Turkish Star Wars, a pretty rare thing, on Wednesday (bought it on ebay, then realized that the guy lives in Toronto which is where I live). Everybody really ought to see that movie; it's PERFECT to watch with friends & pretty much makes film criticism moot (look at the IMDB ratings; people either give it 1 or 10, with little in between!). It's complete crap that's truly adorable. :p

LMAO! I don't think I've seen a film get an average of 10 from just one group of people before.

But yeah. subtitles. Three of the films I named in my list were in a foriegn language, and all three I watched subbed. I think I watched one of them fansubbed, come to think of it...

I don't care. I'lll watched sub films but sometimes have to rewind cause sometime jap take ages to say little thngs and really quick to say longer things.

the only dubbiong i like is cowboy bebop, but if i have the chance to watch it subbed i will...

i watched a movie awhile ago (don't remeber which) but the dubbing was different than the subbing and done a lot worse... for example in the subbing a guy said "you killed everybody i know and now you will die for the sins you made" not exactly like that don't remeber the full line but in dubbing it came out "DIE!". Who knows why but i never listen to dubbing.

I like subtitles, it helps a lot with some films like I used it with all three parts of the Godfather for helping with knowing what was happening and obviously helps a hell of a lot when you're watching a foreign language film :lol: , but dubbing is extremely annoying, it's horrible!! B)

Back