Torrents

Peter R said:
Chip said:
And as tens of thousands of DMCA takedown requests have said, those Youtube videos are not authorized or endorsed by the artists any more than DCGM's torrents. It is illegal to make an unauthorized copy of a song, and when you view a youtube video, that song is copied into the RAM (and probably the browser cache) of your computer. As far as the law is concerned, every time you listen to an unauthorized song on Youtube, you've "stolen" it just as much as if you've downloaded it via Bittorrent.

Legality aside, you're still deriving enjoyment from the song without compensating the artist, producer or publisher. At least DCGM is being honest about his flagrant thievery. ;)
Thats an utterly stupid assumption you have made there. Most music artists have put popular music on there nowadays in return for ad revenue. Get with the times ;).

I would put it as some, at best. A couple do, but the vast majoirity of artists (especially the older ones who dont actively manage their e-peen) dont.
Personally I just use a subscription music service, its not tot terribly much and has a good wealth of content, and is generally simply easier than stealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goity said:
deezer.com is pretty good for listening to music legally, and much better quality than Youtube.
Great site, too bad it is not possible to select some artists. That's one of the examples why I think the music industry is doing a bad job. It should be possible to have easy access to "all" music available.
If that was possible, I would gladly pay for a service like deezer.

Peter R said:
Chip said:
And as tens of thousands of DMCA takedown requests have said, those Youtube videos are not authorized or endorsed by the artists any more than DCGM's torrents. It is illegal to make an unauthorized copy of a song, and when you view a youtube video, that song is copied into the RAM (and probably the browser cache) of your computer. As far as the law is concerned, every time you listen to an unauthorized song on Youtube, you've "stolen" it just as much as if you've downloaded it via Bittorrent.

Legality aside, you're still deriving enjoyment from the song without compensating the artist, producer or publisher. At least DCGM is being honest about his flagrant thievery. ;)
Thats an utterly stupid assumption you have made there. Most music artists have put popular music on there nowadays in return for ad revenue. Get with the times ;).

It's utterly stupid to assume that most artists do that. Vast majority don't give permission for their music to be posted on Youtube. Hundreds of videos are pulled every day because of this.

I will look into using places such as rapidshare, etc. Keep the advice coming :D

Oh, and I don't want to hear people saying "piracy is bad", because if I wanted peoples' opinions, I would ask :). Thanks.

Kind of off topic but what are the chances of getting pinched for downloading game "R0MZ" for systems that are no longer made like PC-Engine, SNES, MAME etc? Do they really go after those that download those, or do they pretty much not care?

I would recommend a membership too Napster, listen too all the music you want on your computer for free and then buy the tracks that you really really like as high quality drm free mp3 files. If even paying for the percentage of tracks you really want too keep is too much you could try one of the services like napster to go that let you load up your mp3 player with as much music as you want as long as you continue too pay the monthly fee (license needs too be renewed by plugging in the player every month) though i'm not a big fan of this because i don't really own the music and i can't burn it too cd's.

moz said:
i've always wondered what would happen if an artist/music company setup an anonoymous paypal or some other donation system for people to donate to if they have stolen there tracks with the payer giving what they thought the music was worth..........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Rainbows

DaveC said:
Kind of off topic but what are the chances of getting pinched for downloading game "R0MZ" for systems that are no longer made like PC-Engine, SNES, MAME etc? Do they really go after those that download those, or do they pretty much not care?

I don't think your question is off-topic since it boils down to the same main question daclassicgamingmaster is having. Don't know about the chances "they" would come after you, but unless a game is officially abandoned, the rights are still with its original owner. That means, they could come after you. Even if a game is officially abandoned, the owner of the rights has to state explicitly that it's allowed to copy the game, otherwise it's still illegal. You have to be careful what you pick.

Example: For a long time, the SCI games where considered abandoned and thus free to copy. However, Vivendi, as the new owner of the rights for these games, recently has decided to re-release them, seeing that the games are still popular with many people. That automatically makes downloading the old games illegal and they're actually sending out messages to sites hosting them to remove the downloads.

Actually I don't see 'piracy' (sharing really) as a crime, at worst it's a 'transmission of income'/redistribution of wealth, like progressive taxation and really it's just a shift to a new form of economy. The 'intellectual property' economy is a pipe dream and I hope it never comes to pass, knowledge should be free and shared like in science, not as in alchemy where everyone guards their knowledge.

As for safe downloading, you could try checking out the various anonymous networks. I tried a lot of them half a year ago and well, they're so-so the selection is generally crap etc. Maybe the best one's would be the japanese perfect dark and the german stealth net. Or you could just buy an anonymising service like the one from pirate bay, relaxx. I'm not familiar with that though. Luckily the ip regime isn't that bad over here.

I agree with Klikklak completely.
I know if I were a painter, filmmaker, musician, programmer, etc. my main goal would be to share my work with the world. If the only reason it is being produced is to make money, I won't support it. I know it takes time and effort to do create, which is why I donate to artists who choose to make their stuff free. However, most of my music comes from LimeWire ;)
I avoid downloading too much here, because Singapore's laws tend to be quite strict. I don't know the specifics on piracy, but I imagine it would be a pretty hefty fine with possible jail time and deportation.

DaveC said:
It all comes down to whether there's a will to chase you down. They're more likely to go for the distributors first.

But R0mz are not as glamourous a target (or as top heavy a corporate structure) so I'm guessing they're way down the list of lobbied filetypes <_<

I'd rather go to see an artist, than pay a third party for the right to enjoy their work.
GH3 said:
All record companies are evil, except the one that gave you a contract

klikklak said:
Actually I don't see 'piracy' (sharing really) as a crime, at worst it's a 'transmission of income'/redistribution of wealth, like progressive taxation and really it's just a shift to a new form of economy. The 'intellectual property' economy is a pipe dream and I hope it never comes to pass, knowledge should be free and shared like in science, not as in alchemy where everyone guards their knowledge.
How is obtaining something you could otherwise pay for through illegal means a "redistribution of wealth"? Progressive taxation would impose higher taxes on the rich and ease up on the poor... it wouldn't allow those with lower income too take things for free. Your justifications for your illegal activities are really not valid. If you think that under your Utopian anarchist economy people would continue too produce the volume of quality music you see today for free you are dreaming. The fact that illegal downloading is hurting the artists can't be denied, and while we have all downloaded music when we couldn't afford too buy it, it isn't something too be proud of and it is a crime because while its not the same as shoplifting, it is illegal under the law. If your somebody who thinks that they can break all the laws that they don't agree with, understand that society could not function if everyone had that same opinion, while your lifestyle will work just fine for you this is only because you are being shielded by those who follow the law... go ahead an live your life as you want but don't preach as if society should adopt your views because you are in fact a burden on society. I for one have downloaded a shit load of music in the past but did so with plenty of guilt and now that I can pay for it I do so.

Well here, I'll make more justifications (boo hoo). I only download music from artists who are established and rich. I don't think Led Zeppelin needs more money. Pink Floyd seems OK. Kanye West is too cocky for me to pay him more money.

I bought the new Ghostface album as well as the new Wu Tang because those artists have a dying audience in lieu of the new "crunk" and soulja boy trash. I try not to download music from artists who are hurting, because I like to support good music and I want it to keep coming.

Most of my music is old stuff anyway.

DaveC said:
it's called abandonware, because they don't make money from it anymore, except when they redistribute it on other, newer systems, like sega does on xbox live.

jakshep2 said:
DaveC said:
it's called abandonware, because they don't make money from it anymore, except when they redistribute it on other, newer systems, like sega does on xbox live.

Doesn't make it legal.

Jackd said:
How is obtaining something you could otherwise pay for through illegal means a "redistribution of wealth"? Progressive taxation would impose higher taxes on the rich and ease up on the poor... it wouldn't allow those with lower income too take things for free. Your justifications for your illegal activities are really not valid. If you think that under your Utopian anarchist economy people would continue too produce the volume of quality music you see today for free you are dreaming. The fact that illegal downloading is hurting the artists can't be denied, and while we have all downloaded music when we couldn't afford too buy it, it isn't something too be proud of and it is a crime because while its not the same as shoplifting, it is illegal under the law. If your somebody who thinks that they can break all the laws that they don't agree with, understand that society could not function if everyone had that same opinion, while your lifestyle will work just fine for you this is only because you are being shielded by those who follow the law... go ahead an live your life as you want but don't preach as if society should adopt your views because you are in fact a burden on society. I for one have downloaded a shit load of music in the past but did so with plenty of guilt and now that I can pay for it I do so.
Because when culture and science is accessible to all it creates wealth without money? Then the same people who had to pay through the nose for a few paltry songs on a cd can buy other things with that money and have more money to go around. Yes, I believe in utopian societies, even if that isn't a popular thing to say. I don't think people make things (and especially music) for the money, they do it because they've been inspired by good music, they have free time and because they like of it. Some people will still be able to make a living out of it. Your argument is as invalid as complaining about scribes losing their jobs because of the printing press. It is _not_ shoplifting because there is no loss, you can copy a digital thing without losing the original. You make it sound like you're morally superior because you had _guilt_ while downloading, how christian is that? Societies and economies change, deal with it.

How about the legality of certain Russian online music stores? Due to the lax laws in Russia, I think they are legal (over there) and they sell music for ridiculously low prices.
From what I remember, they aren't really legal outside of Russia though. I like to tell myself it's all legal and I'm okay because I pay, but I'm not so sure..

Back