Touchscreen Concern

Frogboy

Wake me when it's over.
Website
Visit site
I have one concern regarding the touchscreen. You will notice one thing in common with almost every device or gaming handheld that uses a touchscreen. The screen resides right in the middle of where you would put your hands. This allows you to use it without actually removing either hand from the device. With Pandora's design, you will probably have to remove one of your hands and then press on the screen. I'm afraid that throwing off the balance (holding the left side while pressing the screen up high) might lead to some accidental drops especially if the game utilizes the touchscreen a lot. What do you guys think? Has anyone used a device that has a touchscreen similarly placed? Did this seem like a problem or are my worries unfounded?

Eh, I don't think it's that big of a deal. The weight won't be that bad, and the device can be held in one hand to begin with.

Edit: And besides, a design revision of the assumed magnitude at this stage is highly unlikely.

I'm more curious of how strong the touch screen is (against scratches and such). Also, if you'll notice fingerprints. Will it be suitable for iPhone-like interface (fingers)?

Though this is extraneous, how many pressure levels can it detect (if more than 1), and what's the resolution (I'm guessing the same as the screen itself, but just asking)?

There are some devices that are similarly designed I played around when I was working at Fry's Electronics. I never had a balancing, but this point of yours is actually pretty valid. In all honesty it kinda actually have to do with weight of the device. if it's extremely light, you can likely fake like you are chucking it at someone holding it open just with you thumb and side of your index finger. But if you are using the touch screen you are just using the stylus or finger nail and holding it at the bottom securely.

It all depends on the usage of the shoulder/action buttons in conjunction with the touchscreen and the final weight of the system and even where you are even trying to use it in like a train or something; this question kinda brings some of the other topics on here full circled.

Will the pandora have a heat sensor like the NDS? (i.e. for thermometer settings and what not?)

(the thermal sensor iirc was behind the touch screen)

I think you can get a pretty good sense if you just hold a Nintendo DS and pretend the touch screen is on the top. I think it would be nice if the touch screen could swivel around or flip back, but it's really not that big of a deal. With analogue sticks and a keyboard, I doubt the touchscreen will be used for intense gaming, and I don't think grip matters much if you're doing something simple like surfing the web.

It won't be used for movement and probably not aiming, if that's what you mean (geo12). However, there are plenty of genres that would benefit from the touch screen.

Depending on how big a project it would be, I'm considering making (or porting if possible) osu! for the Pandora. Ouendan is impossible without a touch screen, and it's one of the best games (if not THE best) for the DS.

Fold the screen back until it is flat. Then cradle the top portion in your hand and rest the bottom on your stomach (if it is big like mine), or along your arm. I would recommend a wrist strap, or some friction tape, or both.

I am not planning to use the touchscreen much, I hope my targus mouse will use the same interface (+ the scroll wheel and right-click :)).

It's far from a deal breaker, in fact, I'd still buy Pandora even without a touchscreen. It's not like they really have a choice where it is located but I think that some kind of tablet/swivel mode will make a great improvement in a later revision.

To be honest i don't think the touchscreen will work effectively in this position at all

I've done some experiments thinking about this, and whilst I have quite big hands, I don't think using the touch screen will be too much of a problem:
PandoraUsingGIMPMockup-1.jpg

I think the touch screen works fine. Try holding a DS and tapping the top screen with the stylus. The only issue is if the Hinge doesn't hold as well as the ds. If so just tuck a finger up behind the screen, no problems. Only area I'm not convinced about is FPS's. But we've got analog controllers for that. I could never properly get the hang of metroid on the ds. Alternately for FPS, you could just plug in a small mouse. They work on practically ANY surface these days, even your leg/knee if there's nothing else around.

My question, is how easy is it to see the screen in full sunlight. On my mobile phone it's hard to make out colours, but it's still very crisp and clear. On the DS on the other hand you can't see sweet F A in sunlight. Not that it matters. There's still no alternate to the Pandora so I'll buy it regardless. I'd say people need to shut the F up with all these pointless questions and just wait for it.... but the excitement and anticipation makes that hard doesn't it? ;)

Zarneth said:
I'd say people need to shut the F up with all these pointless questions and just wait for it.... but the excitement and anticipation makes that hard doesn't it? ;)
Yeah, it does but I can do that. These past few threads that I've started have really brought on the hate. I'll probably get banned from the community if I start a new one. :) I'll let someone else come up with stuff to talk about for a little while. <and the people rejoice>

Last edited by a moderator:
Zarneth said:
I think the touch screen works fine. Try holding a DS and tapping the top screen with the stylus. The only issue is if the Hinge doesn't hold as well as the ds. If so just tuck a finger up behind the screen, no problems. Only area I'm not convinced about is FPS's. But we've got analog controllers for that. I could never properly get the hang of metroid on the ds. Alternately for FPS, you could just plug in a small mouse. They work on practically ANY surface these days, even your leg/knee if there's nothing else around.

My question, is how easy is it to see the screen in full sunlight. On my mobile phone it's hard to make out colours, but it's still very crisp and clear. On the DS on the other hand you can't see sweet F A in sunlight. Not that it matters. There's still no alternate to the Pandora so I'll buy it regardless. I'd say people need to shut the F up with all these pointless questions and just wait for it.... but the excitement and anticipation makes that hard doesn't it? ;)
Yeah, the DS is completely unusable in sunlight.

Frogboy said:
Yeah, it does but I can do that. These past few threads that I've started have really brought on the hate. I'll probably get banned from the community if I start a new one. :) I'll let someone else come up with stuff to talk about for a little while. <and the people rejoice>
Teehee, We need some real photo's, not renders to calm everyone down I think. How 'bout to pass the time we start a poll so people can vote on their opinion on pointless polls. Just so we can see if it crashes the server (or the universe) :lol:

Zarneth said:
Frogboy said:
Teehee, We need some real photo's, not renders to calm everyone down I think. How 'bout to pass the time we start a poll so people can vote on their opinion on pointless polls. Just so we can see if it crashes the server (or the universe) :lol:

That wouldn't bother me, I know where my towel is (I am also a really cool frood, but that is off topic.)

Zarneth said:
My question, is how easy is it to see the screen in full sunlight.
Well, due to the design of the screen, it will not do well in sunlight. MWeston said that it would wash out or something like that. I think the other screens were harder and/or more expensive, and he probably figured most wouldn't be going out-of-doors with it often.

squeakypants said:
Yeah, the DS is completely unusable in sunlight.
Sadly, the GP2X to. :( It's because of these high-glare Display protection. I should try one of these special screen-Protection Foils, maybe there are some anti-reflective ones.
Could be a solution for the Pandora to, als long a touchscreen works with an additional Foil.

Back