TV Cable ETA?

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
I ordered a TV out cable with my Pandora, but apparently there were none left, so I just wondered if there was a known ETA for a new batch? Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere (I couldn't find anything).

Not in a rush, just curious is all...

Last edited by a moderator:
actually no tv out to start with, but wizardstan has connectors and peca will be making some custom cables i believe

actually no tv out to start with, but wizardstan has connectors and peca will be making some custom cables i believe

Oh, okay. Cheers

Out of curiousity, how come a standard TV out (like HDMI) port wasn't used?

Standard TV-out, if integrated would be S-Video and audio. It means miniDIN + 3,5 jack or 2xRCA connecotrs. On the EXT port in addition beside - S-Video and stereo audio out - are stereo audio in, 2x UART and Vcc for level shifters. UARTs are configurable and could be taken as general processor in/out. Where are You put all those outputs.

Out of curiousity, how come a standard TV out (like HDMI) port wasn't used?
The OMAP processor used in the Pandora is a system on chip design which provides a single digital video output and a single analog video output. The digital output is connected to the touchscreen, the analog output can only provide S-Video quality. There is no space left in the Pandora to add in any additional video circuitry.

If the system on chip would have had two digital video outputs (like the newer OMAP 4 chips do), then HDMI or DVI-d would have been possible. However, since usage of HDMI has some pretty serious licensing cost attached to it (about $10.000 per year), DVI-d is a much more likely candidate.

The OMAP processor used in the Pandora is a system on chip design which provides a single digital video output and a single analog video output. The digital output is connected to the touchscreen, the analog output can only provide S-Video quality. There is no space left in the Pandora to add in any additional video circuitry.

If the system on chip would have had two digital video outputs (like the newer OMAP 4 chips do), then HDMI or DVI-d would have been possible. However, since usage of HDMI has some pretty serious licensing cost attached to it (about $10.000 per year), DVI-d is a much more likely candidate.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the OMAP3 does have two digital video outputs. The second video out is also made up of several GPIO lines, however, which MWeston needed to use for the keyboard and other controls, unfortunately. If we hadn't had the keyboard, I bet he could have found a way to make use of the second video line, but then we wouldn't have a keyboard: a rather poor tradeoff, in my opinion.

If we hadn't had the keyboard, I bet he could have found a way to make use of the second video line, but then we wouldn't have a keyboard: a rather poor tradeoff, in my opinion.
Agreed.

Thanks for the info everyone

Actually, I'm pretty sure the OMAP3 does have two digital video outputs. The second video out is also made up of several GPIO lines, however, which MWeston needed to use for the keyboard and other controls, unfortunately. If we hadn't had the keyboard, I bet he could have found a way to make use of the second video line, but then we wouldn't have a keyboard: a rather poor tradeoff, in my opinion.
Oh? I didn't know. Thanks for the info. :p

No, that doesn't make any sense at all. :)

The keyboard is controlled by a dedicated row/column scanner built into the PMIC chip. The game buttons (GPIO) are using up the camera interface. There is no second digital (standard) display interface on OMAP3. The second display that OMAP3 could support is just a little SPI or SRAM interface type typical of a small display in a camera to show who is calling and the time or something, not a full blown high res screen (or DVI, HDMI, etc.).

Oh that's interesting, after reading TI documents, i always though the camera interface was free. But it's the buttons ! That's Hacking :lol: .

The keyboard is controlled by a dedicated row/column scanner built into the PMIC chip. The game buttons (GPIO) are using up the camera interface. There is no second digital (standard) display interface on OMAP3. The second display that OMAP3 could support is just a little SPI or SRAM interface type typical of a small display in a camera to show who is calling and the time or something, not a full blown high res screen (or DVI, HDMI, etc.).
How monumentally bizarre. I swear I read the specs for the 3530 when I first got my BeagleBoard and saw that the second digital video was indeed a second set of lines which could be reconfigured for GPIO duty, but now I'm rereading it and that is quite obviously not the case. Where did this idea of mine come from? Did I read the OMAP4 spec by mistake?

so who's first to mod one a little serial driven lcd in the back of the screen lid for twitter/email notifications? :)

Back