Tv-out Cable

The Ipod Touch AV out cable is $59.99.... And, it has a chip built in that authenticates the cable, so building your own or using an old one is a no-go. Be glad that this is not the case.

Or is it? Craigix, can we PLEASE have at least one of your short, somewhat informative comments? I know that you will not answer us all, but at least SOME statement would be nice. ;)

The AV cable is much more than just a TV out cable. There are many different signals on the connector including line input, line output and some developer's stuff. If the developer stuff doesn't end up as a separate cable, it will likely be a female header that can mate to your own breadboard or circuit board. There's no protection or authentication on an open device like this. Also, I don't expect the pinout to match any existing devices out there as it was decided by me based on board routing.

MWeston said:
The AV cable is much more than just a TV out cable. There are many different signals on the connector including line input, line output and some developer's stuff. If the developer stuff doesn't end up as a separate cable, it will likely be a female header that can mate to your own breadboard or circuit board. There's no protection or authentication on an open device like this. Also, I don't expect the pinout to match any existing devices out there as it was decided by me based on board routing.
What type of connector is it? If I was looking for it on mouser or some other electronic's supplier, what would I be looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
MWeston said:
The AV cable is much more than just a TV out cable. There are many different signals on the connector including line input, line output and some developer's stuff.
GBAX.com (http://gbax.com/pandorax.html) describes the cable as "Pandora TV Cable: Connect your Pandora to a Television. SVideo with dual audio." I know the EXT connector is capable of much more than that. Is the "TV cable" at GBAX.com described as such for brevity and is indeed the full AV cable including line in (that's the feature I'm specifically looking for)?

I didn't include the cable in my pre-order because I wasn't sure. But if it's indeed the full AV with line in, I'll gladly transact again.

So, like sverm says, the website only mentions s-video. Is composite an option?

shmuck said:
So, like sverm says, the website only mentions s-video. Is composite an option?
You can get a converter cable that converts S-video into composite for only a few $. Ask your local electronics retailer (or google).

sverm said:
MWeston said:
The AV cable is much more than just a TV out cable. There are many different signals on the connector including line input, line output and some developer's stuff.
GBAX.com (http://gbax.com/pandorax.html) describes the cable as "Pandora TV Cable: Connect your Pandora to a Television. SVideo with dual audio." I know the EXT connector is capable of much more than that. Is the "TV cable" at GBAX.com described as such for brevity and is indeed the full AV cable including line in (that's the feature I'm specifically looking for)?

I didn't include the cable in my pre-order because I wasn't sure. But if it's indeed the full AV with line in, I'll gladly transact again.

+1. I want to know if it really does include all the other features. I ended up ordering one anyways, but it would be awesome if it came with all of those features.

DuFace said:
sverm said:
MWeston said:

+1. I want to know if it really does include all the other features. I ended up ordering one anyways, but it would be awesome if it came with all of those features.

This really needs to be addressed. MWeston mentioned something related to this, but I couldn't parse his sentence very well. Are we going to be buying another cable for line-in and GPIO or not? I prefer a breakout cable w/ all connectors.

As the description for the TV-out cable only lists the S-video and stereo audio connections, it is a safe bet that it includes only those connections. As far as I know, Openpandora has not expressed any intention to sell a full "breakout" cable. That doesn't necessarily mean they wont, they just haven't yet said they will.

Full pinouts / point descriptions will be provided when the Pandora ships. This post details exactly what points are available through the EXT port. This is the connector that plugs into the EXT port. Even if there isn't an official cable, you're free to roll your own breakout board / cable / whatever.

Back