Tv Out Does Not Work.

Robotube

Still Fresh
I've gone through 2 TV out cables from GamePark Holdings (one with Male Svideo, and one with Female) and both return same results. I get a b&W flipping incomprehensible image. I know something is being sent, but it will not decipher properly on my TV. You can faintly make out an icon or 2 from the main menu, but its unusable.

Any recommendations to fix this? I am in the US and use NTSC. Will a svideo to composite dongle fix this? Wiggling the cable does not change the picture, BTW.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Robotube posted on Aug 14 2006 at 06:14 PM said:
I've gone through 2 TV out cables from GamePark Holdings (one with Male Svideo, and one with Female) and both return same results. I get a b&W flipping incomprehensible image. I know something is being sent, but it will not decipher properly on my TV. You can faintly make out an icon or 2 from the main menu, but its unusable.

Any recommendations to fix this? I am in the US and use NTSC. Will a svideo to composite dongle fix this? Wiggling the cable does not change the picture, BTW.

Any help is very much appreciated.
How does your TV get to S-Video mode? Does any regular equipment (DVD, consoles etc) use S-Video properly?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same sort of problem - out-of-sync grey image - by hand-wiring into the s-video end of the gp2x lead I managed to get a stable black & white image on my son's TV..

This was pin 3 of the s-video connector.. this pin is the 'intensity' pin - hence no colour.

I guess pins 3 & 4 need to be combined to get a composite image..?

http://pinouts.ru/Video/SVideo_pinout.shtml

Kev

Tried 2 TV's...one with straight Svideo built in to the TV, and one old TV with am RF modulator that accepts Svideo. Both TVs are the same deal.

Honestly, I have not tried other devices with the Svideo. I should give that a shot, but since it fails on 2 TV's I am guessing its not the Svideo leads on the TV set.

Kevcal: Interesting. Would buying the SV-Composite adapter take care of this do you think? So strange that some people get this working out of the box and others have to jump through hoops.

No idea what would get it going... :(

I have noticed though that my S-video/composite lead has an arrow going from composite to s-video on it (ie points opposite way to what I guess I need!).

So I guess I'm just using a composite-to-svideo convertor rather than the other way around ;) Don't know what the difference is at the moment.

I'll have a look through some boxes in my garage to see whether I have the right lead hanging around somewhere..

Can't think why they'd just not put a composite connection on - the quality would have been good enough.

Kev

Odd...I didn't think those converters (if they're just dongles) had any electronics that would govern the "direction" of the conversion. Usually they're just hardwired, in which case it wouldn't make a difference where the signal was going.

Well, I am at work (where we do loads of video production) so I have some equipment here to test it out. I will try it on some equipment here and let you know what happens.

Thanks for all your input and advice...this is a fantastic board.

Yep...we have a Sony Production Monitor here that accepts both NTSC and PAL and it gives me the crazy B&W flipping screen on both settings. It seems like a Sync problem. I really wonder if this could possibly be a firmware botch?

I'm running 2.0, but hmm...could firmware screw that up? I'm just not totally convinced that I have bad hardware. I think if it were bad, I'd be getting no picture at all....and there is definitely a signal going through.

Robotube posted on Aug 15 2006 at 02:54 PM said:
Odd...I didn't think those converters (if they're just dongles) had any electronics that would govern the "direction" of the conversion. Usually they're just hardwired, in which case it wouldn't make a difference where the signal was going.
I would assume that there is some amount of electronics in the converter.
SV -> Comp: You might get away with connecting lum & hue together but you really need to make sure that (a) one signal doesn't feed back into the other and (b) if both the signals are at their peak at the same time you're potentially feeding a double strength signal to the composite.
Comp -> SV: You need electronics to separate the comp signal back into lum and hue signals. I doubt you'd get away with sending the composite to both pins and hoping.
Damn automatic smiley convertions :)

Robotube posted on Aug 15 2006 at 04:47 PM said:
I wonder if this would solve my problems? I am skeptical, but eh, thought I'd throw it out there:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search
Should work. The basic SV -> Comp is done by connecting the ground lines together and placing a 470pF capacitor between the hue(chromiance) and the composite pin. This doesn't produce the best quality, but should give a stable picture. Click for one of many articles about this

I have the same problem my self. By mistake I posted in the gp32 forums, but my thread deals with the exact same problem.

I got the "bad" male tv-out cable, despite I ordered it just weeks ago. A bit worrying that the female one did not work for you either. Strange thing is, that if I choose NTSC I get (some) colours, though extremly poor quality, and certain (especially white) areas flickering in all different colours.

paeryn posted on Aug 15 2006 at 05:27 PM said:
Robotube posted on Aug 15 2006 at 04:47 PM said:
I wonder if this would solve my problems? I am skeptical, but eh, thought I'd throw it out there:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search
Should work. The basic SV -> Comp is done by connecting the ground lines together and placing a 470pF capacitor between the hue(chromiance) and the composite pin. This doesn't produce the best quality, but should give a stable picture. Click for one of many articles about this

I have used this method in adding a composite option onto my TV-out cable. It works a treat for me! Also the picture is quite decent, as good as the composite video can give I reckon, and I still have Svideo when the TV-supports it.

Back