Tv Tuner Combo Gps Usb Stick!

the pandora will already be running under a linux kernel, but whether they choose to include these modules in it is another story. There are already many usb tv tuners working in linux distros, but i agree, would be very nice to include that and maybe get kaffeine or something :)
OR MYTHTV!!! haha..

Drivers for GPS should be easy but dunno about TV part. I guess there are drivers for Avermedia devices too.

Judging by a recent commit to the usb.ids files, the VendorID/ProductID are:

07ca b808 AVerTV DVB-T Volar (USB 2.0)

A quick google on those id's gives this info for demodulators, tuners, etc.:

AVerMedia AverTV DVB-T Volar 71x25x11 MT2060 DIB0700

Further info say that this is supported by the "dvb-usb-dib0700" driver, and appears in some Debian compatibility lists.

Assuming this is a normal USB composite device (where it appears as a hub that contains both a GPS and a TV Tuner), it should be supported already. The GPS bit is supported with almost zero effort because it's just a USB serial device, but the TV bit would need that module loaded and a kernel recent enough to have it etc.

I'd say the chances are good. I've yet to see a TV Tuner device that isn't supported on Linux within about a year of it's release though.

I'm not saying the above is 100% accurate (you buy it and it doesn't work, don't come crying to me!) but I'm pretty sure it'd work just fine.

hereitcomes said:
the pandora will already be running under a linux kernel, but whether they choose to include these modules in it is another story. There are already many usb tv tuners working in linux distros, but i agree, would be very nice to include that and maybe get kaffeine or something :)
OR MYTHTV!!! haha..
You laugh, but this device should be able to handle a myth frontend. In fact, I'm working on getting my dev environment set up so I can create a minimal frontend for pandora using the gmyth libraries. I'll have to be within wi-fi range of my backend, but this should be very nice for lounging in the back yard while catching up on my watchlist.

Running a backend on it would be absolute folly, though.

As for using a USB TV tuner with your Pandora, it may be doable, but I imagine you'll have to boot your own linux distro from SD card in order to make it happen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that it won't be easy to add hardware support to the base pre-installed OS that resides on the NAND. It's not impossible, but I don't think this is a project to be undertaken lightly. That said, Middo, if you do get it working, please share. I'd consider buying one of these just for the novelty of trying it out next time I'm in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
_Sterling said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that it won't be easy to add hardware support to the base pre-installed OS that resides on the NAND. It's not impossible, but I don't think this is a project to be undertaken lightly.
I don't believe that will be a practical problem. First, it should be possible to update the kernel on the NAND filesystem somehow. On the Nokias this is done with a utility. Secondly, even if it's too tricky for the layman to do, you can still load whatever driver you want to that kernel. You may have to build that kernel from source somewhere else before you build the driver (for kernel version / driver module version compatibility), but after that it's just to load the driver module (a file) to your SD card and 'insmod' it, and hey presto - your NAND kernel has the driver loaded.

The only problem would be if the base kernel had left out the overall feature support (in this case, USB support), but that should rarely be a problem and I doubt it would be in this case.

Tor said:
You may have to build that kernel from source somewhere else before you build the driver (for kernel version / driver module version compatibility)
That right there is the tricky part. I'm sure the dev team will eventually release enough details about the kernel they use for this to be possible, but I haven't seen those details published anywhere yet. They're not in the wiki or here on the forums. I'm not a kernel or driver developer, but my understanding is that in order to build a module for a given distribution, you need the kernel's source along with any patches it's been compiled with. Hence, you either need the build details for the system on the NAND, or you need to build your own kernel and boot from SD card in order to install and use a new module. Either way, I wouldn't recommend this route for the novice user unless they're very determined and have copious free time at their disposal.

but after that it's just to load the driver module (a file) to your SD card and 'insmod' it, and hey presto - your NAND kernel has the driver loaded.

That's encouraging. I have a few USB peripherals in mind that I've been a little worried about driver support for, and was hoping I wouldn't have to dual-boot my Pandora every time I wanted the extra functionality. Good to know I may be able to just cross-compile the drivers and have it run.

From the product page:
- Low Power Consumption: GPS Function (0.23A); GPS and DVB-T Functions (0.4A)

How much power do the pandora USB ports provide?

when will you actually need both at the same time? I'd rather get two separate units and have the option use one in another device when its not being used.

Drack said:
From the product page:
- Low Power Consumption: GPS Function (0.23A); GPS and DVB-T Functions (0.4A)

How much power do the pandora USB ports provide?

Should be able to source enough to drive that. Even driver work shouldn't be a problem since these things are little more than a tuner to provide a digital video stream to decode. The real problem is going to be getting an MPEG2/MPEG4 stream to play back through the DSP path as the CPU's not likely to have enough oomph to keep up with anything more than MPEG2 at low to medium bitrates.
_Sterling said:
As for using a USB TV tuner with your Pandora, it may be doable, but I imagine you'll have to boot your own linux distro from SD card in order to make it happen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that it won't be easy to add hardware support to the base pre-installed OS that resides on the NAND. It's not impossible, but I don't think this is a project to be undertaken lightly. That said, Middo, if you do get it working, please share. I'd consider buying one of these just for the novelty of trying it out next time I'm in Europe.
The only complicated thing is going to be building a kernel module from the source trees provided and placing it in the right place and making it load up. There's nothing keeping you from dropping it on the NAND (other than you'll have to re-flash the NAND if you botch the process..) from off an SD with you on a console window- it'd be better if you come up with an .ipk/.opk of the module and it's management scripting so it's cleanly added and can be cleanly removed, but that's a wholly different game.

Booting something like Xbuntu off of the SD would make it EASIER yet, but it's not at all difficult.

_Sterling said:
In fact, I'm working on getting my dev environment set up so I can create a minimal frontend for pandora using the gmyth libraries. I'll have to be within wi-fi range of my backend, but this should be very nice for lounging in the back yard while catching up on my watchlist.
This is one of the main reasons I bought the Pandora for in the hopes someone would be working on something like this. If you do try a frontend I am willing to help if I can.

This does not help those of us in the US since this does not have an ATSC tuner, but it does solve one of the problems with GPS devices on the Pandora. Since this device has a tuner in it, it probably operates in high speed. This means it should be possible to connect this device directly to the USB port on the Pandora without a HUB.

DAP said:
This does not help those of us in the US since this does not have an ATSC tuner
Nobody cares about you Americans.
Oh wait, I'm an American. It looks like I forgot because our leadership is on a completely different page than its people are.

The real problem is going to be getting an MPEG2/MPEG4 stream to play back through the DSP path as the CPU's not likely to have enough oomph to keep up with anything more than MPEG2 at low to medium bitrates.

That's not a problem, that's something to stop us from getting bored! :)

Sounds good to me, I have my DVB-T stick ready and waiting for delivery of my Pandora!

Having all the modules in the world should only slow down build time, not boot time. If udev is running and MODULES and KMOD are set I believe it should recognize and load the drivers in the right order for just about anything you can think of and shove in it. *if* the driver exists for the architecture and not everything does.

on their site says:

> For HDTV (H.264) Live Preview
> -Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or equivalent
> something about 512 megs of ram

Maybe that's their windows software, perhaps it'll work with tvtime or xawtv.

ed. All I see in the angostrom tree is mythtv but it's in there.

lardman said:
That's not a problem, that's something to stop us from getting bored! :)
Well, I don't know if there's any hardware accel support built into any of the TV apps that would be doing the display of the DVB feed to the screen- yet. It's that part that's only a transient problem as the rest is already handled as others have noted.

Sounds good to me, I have my DVB-T stick ready and waiting for delivery of my Pandora!

Heh... By the by...the folks concerned about ATSC support should note that the same applies for them- if it's supported under Linux, there's probably a way to get the tuner to provide the MPEG feeds off of the tuner to the DSP. The only snag will be processing them into the DSP and then out on to the screen, which is the same general task whether it's DVB or ATSC.

Man this with and the TV out cable we will be able to watch TV through the Pandora, on our TV! :lol:

Back