Twitterix: New Vid In The Works

Guys, really? Can we please try to stay (relatively) on topic? Small digressions are all well and good, but this is starting to get a bit out of hand.

Bruce Campbell rocks! But anyway, eagerly awaiting the next video. I hope it shows more analogue nub action, and perhaps some dosbox goodness. Blake Stone would be a nice demo. But whatever Craigix has prepared is good enough for me. Hope to see it soon.

I would love to see emulation in action, perhaps some showing off of the computing features of the Pandora, maybe even browsing the web! I would like to know how that looks.

Jourdy288 said:
I would love to see emulation in action, perhaps some showing off of the computing features of the Pandora, maybe even browsing the web! I would like to know how that looks.
er... i'm sorry, but we've already seen this. go look through his older videos.

edit: wait, what do you mean by "computing features"?

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be too early not having the final case yet, but I'd really like to see stuff like:
1. Full round view of the case while things are running
2. Some video close up of just tweaking the analog nubs, d-pad and buttons
3. Some action of the screen hinge being closed and opened so we get an idea of the tightness of the hinge and whether it has lock in points ala the DS or not, etc.

I've seen the software and it looks very nice. Now I want to see a video that really shows what the device will be like when we get it.
It may be too early for such a case and buttons demo, though, as it sounds like the case company will most likely have to do some fine tuning still.

I'd like to see one of the nubs controlling the mouse cursor. All we've seen so far is the touchscreen for that (unless someone would care to enlighten me).

Xian Long said:
Jourdy288 said:

Using it as a PC.

Jourdy288 said:
Xian Long said:
Jourdy288 said:

Using it as a PC.
well, what features do you want to see? most of the basic functions have already been covered.

wermy said:
God Ginrai said:
No, I don't see any connection between bears and Reavers.
-God Ginrai

Dude, it was just a joke. :)

Of course. But a joke is supposed to make sense in some way for it to be recognized as funny. His joke made no connection to the conversation at all, yet it was phrased in such a way that it had to make a connection to the conversation to make sense.

Vorporeal said:
Guys, really? Can we please try to stay (relatively) on topic? Small digressions are all well and good, but this is starting to get a bit out of hand.

+1.

The only things I'd really like to see in a video right now is Red Alert on DOSBox (overclocked) and N64. I know the latter probably won't be happening for a while, and the former is something I would be more likely see Pickle go through the trouble of doing than Craig, IMHO.

-God Ginrai

dflemstr said:
Arch is my second distro of choice. I like their packaging policy a lot, however I tend to miss the more "modern" features that other distros have (Such as PackageKit, Upstart, DKMS or even PulseAudio - yes, pulse can be built + configured to not suck). It's not that Arch doesn't have them, but rather that the whole distro seems to expect you not to use these more modern frameworks.

If you don't want to customize every aspect of your distribution and just want a system that "works" after installing it, I'd recommend to look at the Chakra project; an Arch-based distro that uses KDE-mod as its default DE and has a live CD that's very easy to use.

Heh - I got Arch on all my systems.

Heck, the complete stuff I do for the Pandora (keyboard design, etc.) and the gp2x Shop (invoices, calculations, etc.) is done using my ArchLinux :)
Hehe, basically, I run an OpenSource shop (SuSE Linux server with osCommerce) which I use and administer with a Linux computer (Arch) and where I sell mostly OpenSource handhelds.
Cool :)

Last edited:
dflemstr said:
Arch is my second distro of choice. I like their packaging policy a lot, however I tend to miss the more "modern" features that other distros have (Such as PackageKit, Upstart, DKMS or even PulseAudio - yes, pulse can be built + configured to not suck). It's not that Arch doesn't have them, but rather that the whole distro seems to expect you not to use these more modern frameworks.

If you don't want to customize every aspect of your distribution and just want a system that "works" after installing it, I'd recommend to look at the Chakra project; an Arch-based distro that uses KDE-mod as its default DE and has a live CD that's very easy to use.

So wait, is this like Archie, except for KDE? Do they have their own repositories? Or are they basically a more user-oriented Live CD for Arch?

-God Ginrai

I use Arch Linux on my Linux laptop.

For reasons other than my username being Archaemic.

E] I named the laptop pardus ages ago, after all, and it doesn't run Pardus Linux :p

I use it primarily for the rolling release system.

Archaemic said:
I use Arch Linux on my Linux laptop.

For reasons other than my username being Archaemic.

E] I named the laptop pardus ages ago, after all, and it doesn't run Pardus Linux :p

I use it primarily for the rolling release system.

Another Archlinux user here!

I came from Red Hat, Suse 6.1-6.2-7, Debian...OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, DragonFly BSD, Gentooo and finally Archlinux!

I find it quite nice, an active userbase and the AUR community plus the voting system a great way for adding packages.

God Ginrai said:
dflemstr said:

So wait, is this like Archie, except for KDE? Do they have their own repositories? Or are they basically a more user-oriented Live CD for Arch?
OK, let me explain:
Very many Arch users use KDE (I daresay, the majority), and if you want to use KDE on Arch (referring to vanilla Arch here, not Chakra), you'll probably use the "kde-mod" version of KDE. This KDE version has been modified to be more modular and Arch friendly, having the feature that it allows you to choose EXACTLY which parts of KDE to install.
Say for example that if you want Kate without the whole kdesdk, or Marble without the whole kdeedu package, it's possible to arrange. You can Google kde-mod for more info.

Arch also has, besides the "kde-mod", a repository called "kde-extra" or somesuch, that contains various KDE-related applications not part of the official KDE packages, or any distro other than Arch for that matter. You'll find pretty unique and cutting-edge stuff in that repo, and the very excellent "Shaman" pacman front-end.

Chakra was basically created by the guys that provide those two repositories for Arch, because they thought it was too difficult to set up a system based on kde-mod and their packages (which it in reality isn't imo). They made their Live CD in order to give users a similar installation experience to what you get with Ubuntu or Fedora, and to give users a fully working kde-mod based system off the bat. This includes the integration of Shaman and all that other nifty stuff. That's all there is to it, really. I sometimes use it as a starting point when I don't have hours to spend on Arch configuration.

If you want to check it out, you can always try the live CD in a VM and see if it's for you. It's alpha software, but then again, isn't most Arch software that in a sense? :p

dflemstr said:
God Ginrai said:
dflemstr said:

OK, let me explain:
Very many Arch users use KDE (I daresay, the majority), and if you want to use KDE on Arch (referring to vanilla Arch here, not Chakra), you'll probably use the "kde-mod" version of KDE. This KDE version has been modified to be more modular and Arch friendly, having the feature that it allows you to choose EXACTLY which parts of KDE to install.
Say for example that if you want Kate without the whole kdesdk, or Marble without the whole kdeedu package, it's possible to arrange. You can Google kde-mod for more info.

Arch also has, besides the "kde-mod", a repository called "kde-extra" or somesuch, that contains various KDE-related applications not part of the official KDE packages, or any distro other than Arch for that matter. You'll find pretty unique and cutting-edge stuff in that repo, and the very excellent "Shaman" pacman front-end.

Chakra was basically created by the guys that provide those two repositories for Arch, because they thought it was too difficult to set up a system based on kde-mod and their packages (which it in reality isn't imo). They made their Live CD in order to give users a similar installation experience to what you get with Ubuntu or Fedora, and to give users a fully working kde-mod based system off the bat. This includes the integration of Shaman and all that other nifty stuff. That's all there is to it, really. I sometimes use it as a starting point when I don't have hours to spend on Arch configuration.

If you want to check it out, you can always try the live CD in a VM and see if it's for you. It's alpha software, but then again, isn't most Arch software that in a sense? :p

So it is an Arch install. I saw that there seem to be a lot of bug reports for it. Have you ever had any problems with it? (Also, do you think it would be a good idea if I'm installing Arch on a laptop?) I'm basically about to update my Windows Vista partition to 7 without formatting, and installing Arch by formatting my Fedora partition, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
So it is an Arch install. I saw that there seem to be a lot of bug reports for it. Have you ever had any problems with it? (Also, do you think it would be a good idea if I'm installing Arch on a laptop?) I'm basically about to update my Windows Vista partition to 7 without formatting, and installing Arch by formatting my Fedora partition, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this.
The installer can be buggy, and doesn't support LVM automatically, which might be necessary to migrate your Fedora partitions (that probably are on LVM).
The rest is just normal Arch packages, though, so you should be fine.

If you don't want to take any risks, just go the normal Arch installation route and follow this guide to get kdemod packages afterwards. If you want to configure every aspect of your OS as is the Arch way, this probably is the way to go anyways.
BTW, note that Arch does very little automatically (almost nothing actually), so you'll probably have to edit your "grub/menu.lst" manually to get access to your Windows partition after the Arch installation (but I bet that you expected that already).

Also note that if you want to upgrade to Windows 7, please do so before you install Arch, because Windows installers are known for wiping MBRs and messing up partition tables and causing errors that only can be fixed by installing boot loaders such as GRUB.
Also, if you happen to have Windows on a partition other than the very first on your hard disk (aka /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 etc in Linux lingo) you are probably screwed, since Windows installers always assume that the Windows installation is located on the first partition for some reason, so if you upgrade to Win7 and then reboot your computer without having some kind of Live CD, you probably won't be able to get beyond the Windows boot loader any time soon, since it only looks for Windows on /dev/sda1 or fails otherwise.

TheRain said:
It might be too early not having the final case yet, but I'd really like to see stuff like:
1. Full round view of the case while things are running
2. Some video close up of just tweaking the analog nubs, d-pad and buttons
3. Some action of the screen hinge being closed and opened so we get an idea of the tightness of the hinge and whether it has lock in points ala the DS or not, etc.

I've seen the software and it looks very nice. Now I want to see a video that really shows what the device will be like when we get it.
It may be too early for such a case and buttons demo, though, as it sounds like the case company will most likely have to do some fine tuning still.
While Craigx may be putting up a new Pandora video, I don't think he has the hardware to show much of what you want.
The case is still under development. While they have gotten to the point of authorizing the case moulding company to produce the final case design, there currently is no case in this final configuration in existence. This is my understanding from reading Craigx, Mweston, and Evildragon on this forum and the official blog.
So, I don't think there is a Pandora prototype with correct d-pad, analog nub, and hinged case in Craigx's possession to show what you are asking for.

I would be happy to see some video produced with the new video out cable, though.
Direct Pandora to S-video to video capture card should give some great views of the Pandora in operation without Mr. Shakycam handheld video of a 4" screen.

Back