Twitterix: X68000 Helped With Pandora`s.

Alpha2 said:
x68000 said:
Alpha2 said:
Well isnt that the reason for looking at places that can also do the MP in the UK. Right now it's just people volunteering there's nothing to assure their constant participation aside from the promise of free booze and pizza.
I'd give Craig slightly more credit than that. He's doing a top job considering the position he was put in.

Volunteering has nothing to with food and drink and everything to do with community participation, you should try it yourself.

I would if I could but I'm not anywhere near the UK nor do I have the technical skill required by the team to actually work on them, but I try to help by updating the Posts for the blog thread.
I have zero technical knowledge, but there are so many jobs to do! So many parts :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
x68000 said:
^ That was just a figure what seemed very comfortable to achieve for a small team to churn out. But more people will be there next week AFAIK and production will ramp up further.

UPDATE: I have been back over for another 3 hours but had to leave as I had some football to watch (Blackpool FTW!!) plus Craig had to pick Fatih up from the train station. Will be over later to pick up my production Pandora.

Be sure to make a review , some pics and maybe a vid :D

And thanks for helping me getting my Pandora quicker in my hands :D

Mithrildor said:
x68000 said:
^ That was just a figure what seemed very comfortable to achieve for a small team to churn out. But more people will be there next week AFAIK and production will ramp up further.

UPDATE: I have been back over for another 3 hours but had to leave as I had some football to watch (Blackpool FTW!!) plus Craig had to pick Fatih up from the train station. Will be over later to pick up my production Pandora.

Be sure to make a review , some pics and maybe a vid :D

And thanks for helping me getting my Pandora quicker in my hands :D
I'll be back over as much as possible over the next couple of weeks. Just want to see these units get out to all you guys who have patiently waited (mostly :p )

x68000 said:
Pleng said:
x68000 said:
Will be over later to pick up my production Pandora.

Cool. Can you grab mine while you're there? :D
If you live locally enough to pick it up, then yep! :p

Isn't that a case of kinda que jumping!?!

Mind you, i fairly early in the que anyway... hmm I don't drive... do they have a train station?

@Pleng

I think Craig will allow you to jump the line if you show up to help, and put in a days work. I think that is fair. I don't think you can just show up and claim one, unless you are in the first amount that is alocated to Craig out of the first 1000. So in that case, you can't jump the line unless you work for it!

Chris

x68000 said:
All i can answer here is that MWeston is working flat out on the board mods and making good progress.

Is there some kind of post-mod WiFi testing process?

jumpman said:
@Pleng

I think Craig will allow you to jump the line if you show up to help, and put in a days work. I think that is fair. I don't think you can just show up and claim one, unless you are in the first amount that is alocated to Craig out of the first 1000. So in that case, you can't jump the line unless you work for it!

Chris

Well I ordered within the first 40 minutes so I'm definitely in Craig's part of the first 1000. As for putting a day's work in... well... it's a 4+ hour train journey each direction so that's mean getting up VERY early in the morning.

Hmm... do the batteries come pre-charged?!

Pleng said:
jumpman said:
@Pleng

Chris

Well I ordered within the first 40 minutes so I'm definitely in Craig's part of the first 1000. As for putting a day's work in... well... it's a 4+ hour train journey each direction so that's mean getting up VERY early in the morning.

I am pretty sure you can get a cosy spot on the floor and can stay for a night :)

I can't understand the guys screaming "No Q jumping!". I wonder if they realize that if someone helps out for a full day, it will generate 10-20 Pandoras, so all other get their P earlier.

EDIT: small typo

Creature XL said:
I am pretty sure you can get a cos spot on the floor and can stay for a night :)

I can't understand the guys screaming "No Q jumping!". I wonder if they realize that if someone helps out for a full day, it will generate 10-20 Pandoras, so all other get their P earlier.

They help, they get their pandora early, it seems logical.
If I could I would be glad to come and help for a few days, but sadly I can't…
So I'll wait :)

KodeIn said:
Creature XL said:
I am pretty sure you can get a cos spot on the floor and can stay for a night :)

They help, they get their pandora early, it seems logical.
If I could I would be glad to come and help for a few days, but sadly I can't…
So I'll wait :)

thats two of us now.

Pleng said:
They have to have at least some charge. Lithium batteries tend to die when fully discharged.

The standard convention is to have them at about 40% for long-term storage (Lithium Ions, anyways, which are different than what's in the Pandora). This ensures minimal detriment to the battery's capacity over its life. Since batteries are often stored in warehouses (or in the device itself, on store shelves, perhaps) for a while before the consumer purchases, if the battery were completely full or completely empty, it could--theoretically--lose some of its total capacity just sitting there, idle.

They might discharge a bit by the time you get it just naturally (seems to just happen with rechargeable batteries) so the first thing you should do when you get your pandora is plug it in, before turning it on, to be especially safe. :)

paulguy said:
They might discharge a bit by the time you get it just naturally (seems to just happen with rechargeable batteries) so the first thing you should do when you get your pandora is plug it in, before turning it on, to be especially safe. :)

There is no way in hell I will plug my P into the wall outlet when it arrives.
I fire it up and use it until I go to bed. Then will be its chargin' time.

Creature XL said:
paulguy said:

I know it will be hard to resist, but if you really want to try and maximize the potential/lifespan of your battery, you should let it charge fully prior to first use. Or, at least plug it in and then start using it.

The detriment to the battery might be minimal if you just start using it, but the possibility exists that you're shaving weeks/months off its full life, especially if you accidentally run it dry. There's a reason this sage advice appears in the manual of every lithium powered device: there is truth to it.

Arkay Firestar said:
Creature XL said:
paulguy said:

I know it will be hard to resist, but if you really want to try and maximize the potential/lifespan of your battery, you should let it charge fully prior to first use. Or, at least plug it in and then start using it.

The detriment to the battery might be minimal if you just start using it, but the possibility exists that you're shaving weeks/months off its full life, especially if you accidentally run it dry. There's a reason this sage advice appears in the manual of every lithium powered device: there is truth to it.
The software should not let it discharge completely, to prevent this from happening. It's still not a good idea to discharge it over and over, but I wouldn't think once would cause any permanent damage, given the protections in place.

I had one of these, years back:

Image1.jpg

Didn't use it in six months and as such let the battery go flat. Since then it wouldn't hold a charge. I imagine LiOn/LiPo technology is better now, but still...

Well, according to Craig's twitter, X68000 picked up his newly assembled Pandora.

If I recall correctly someone (ED?) said that the instant you plug it in the first time to charge it turns on anyway (something about the way the OMAP it self was designed?) so it would seem even if you intend to start using it the moment it comes out of the box you might as well plug it in and do your set up.

Back