Release UAE4All 2.0

Lionheart showed graphical glitches on the original uae4all, maybe on uae4all 2.0 it works correctly.

I think I might have the adfs for that somewhere, I'll try it later on if I do?

Tried it - Lionheart runs as bad as before. Works, but severe gfx glitches in background and bottom.

Can now confirm that 48fps being the maximum is NOT a bug in drawing.cpp+linetoscr.h because when using the old versions of these files 48fps is also the max (while it's 50 with the old UAE4All).

Last edited by a moderator:
any progress on tracking down the sound bug then? :)

IIRC Lionheart made a big deal at the time of having possibly the most levels of parrallax scrolling seen up to that time in an Amiga game (for some reason the figure 19 levels comes vaguely to mind), so it's far from surprising there would be graphical glitches! I owned it, and found it very tough to play...

any progress on tracking down the sound bug then? :)
Yes, I can confirm that it's not caused by drawing.cpp+linetoscr.h. ;)

I thought drawing.cpp would somehow limit the max fps at 48fps causing the glitchy sound as side-effect but that's not the case.

Maybe custom.cpp or blitter.cpp cause it instead. Of course I'll have a look at audio.cpp and sound.cpp, too.

that's some progress at least! Hopefully the real code culprit will be located in due course! ;) I must try out the hard drive options again at some stage...

While trying to fix the flashing screen bug few days ago I activated the macro NO_THREADS (which didn't help fix the issue):

There's some code starting at line 343 in drawing.cpp marked with #ifdef NO_THREADS

I can't see this is the old version, looks like it's related to the frameskip code. Is this define required?
Thanks for the pointer. NO_THREADS was disabled in the Makefile. Enabled it and then rebuilt uae4all - but the screen is flashing as always. So I'll disable that define again.

I forgot to disable it again. After inspecting the src file custom.cpp for 4 hours today without any success I remembered this and disabled NO_THREADS: now the "48fps max"-bug is fixed! Max is 50fps again.

Thus also the sound issue (which was a byproduct) is fixed.

The new version runs well enough to be worthy of uploading to the repo so that anyone can enjoy it already now.

Because of that there's now a new thread in the Software-forum: http://boards.openpa...8770-uae4all-20

Sound doesn`t seem to be fixed for me!

I`m using the new uae4all, 68000, 1.3 1mb ram.. playing Rick Dangerous II.... the sound is playing but it`s grainy and weird!

I`ll try a few more...

When you said the sound is fixed... what games? or AGA only stuff??

GOOD work JOhn.. I`m really excited about this :) :) :)

Yes, save states are broken... unless this version`s save states are incompatible with the previous versions??

I`m using the new uae4all, 68000, 1.3 1mb ram.. playing Rick Dangerous II.... the sound is playing but it`s grainy and weird!

[...]

I meant the sound hickups every half second (for all games) - this is fixed.

Of course there may be other sound issues in some games.

edit: Rick Dangerous II plays without sound issues here both with A500- and A1200-settings.

name= said:
Yes' date=' save states are broken... unless this version`s save states are incompatible with the previous versions??[/quote']
Old savestates are definitely incompatible!

You could try to delete old ones and create a new savestate (still it could be that savestates generally don't work yet).

[...]

I meant the sound hickups every half second (for all games) - this is fixed.

Of course there may be other sound issues in some games.

edit: Rick Dangerous II plays without sound issues here both with A500- and A1200-settings.

name= said:
Yes' date=' save states are broken... unless this version`s save states are incompatible with the previous versions??[/quote']
Old savestates are definitely incompatible!

You could try to delete old ones and create a new savestate (still it could be that savestates generally don't work yet).

RIck Dangerous II works ok for you? sound wise?? could you give me your settings for both A500 and A1200 then please?? I`m pretty sure I have the right settings though...

ok this is weird! I can set up A500 and a A1200 with out a game in.. I reset and it will happily goto the disk holding white screen or the disk inserting pink screen.. as soon as I insert a disk and go back to emulation, it locks up good :(

RIck Dangerous II works ok for you? sound wise?? could you give me your settings for both A500 and A1200 then please?? I`m pretty sure I have the right settings though...
Only 1 active floppy drive, "fast" sound and:

A500: 68000, OCS, KS 1.3, 1MB chip-ram, no slow-&fast-ram (although 0.5MB chip- and 0.5MB slow-ram would be more correct I think)

A1200: 68020, AGA, KS 3.1, 2MB chip- and fast-ram, no slow-ram

Ok... I deleted the pnd and appdata... started over..

RIck Dangerous II plays :) sound is correct... weird, not sure what was going on.. I was deleting configs etc.. on well :)

Super stuff!

OOooookay, time to setup a hardfile and copy all my WHDLoaded games over.

Awesome, finally one nice way to load all games much faster than before.

Thanks a lot :)

save states in v2 are definitely broken.. go to save states. choose 1 and hit save and your back to the desktop..

Can you give some tips on setting up a hard file when you get it running? The one I was using on Panduae won't work here without reinstalling the workbench disks, which I can't do as the hard disk seems to replace df0 so i can't select the default drive?(or am I getting mixed up somewhere?)

(null)

Anyone feel like explaining the in/outs of the amiga? I've got superfrog on four disks? load them all up hope it works.

I've placed the fastboots into the folder.. what's a hard file?

OOooookay, time to setup a hardfile and copy all my WHDLoaded games over.

Awesome, finally one nice way to load all games much faster than before.

Thanks a lot :)
Well, I couldn't successfully boot a HD yet. Tried the one I've used in the past in WinUAE but it just went to the Amiga DOS screen.

So there might still be a bug.

Can you give some tips on setting up a hard file when you get it running? The one I was using on Panduae won't work here without reinstalling the workbench disks, which I can't do as the hard disk seems to replace df0 so i can't select the default drive?(or am I getting mixed up somewhere?)
The HDF also being "inserted" into DF0: is a tiny bug in the code - you can just replace it with an ADF. What's displayed in the harddisk-menu is what counts.

But according to the engineer you shouldn't use this emu to setup an HD because it'll last hours. Better set it up in WinUAE.

Also if the HD booted in pandeuae it should work here, too. Seems there's still a bug.

I had one previously setup for use with PandUAE with that doesn't seem to work on this either. Using that one before, I used to add my games directory deperate to the hardfile, which worked within PandUAE, but I could never seem to save anything within it, so I couldn't save any progress in games. I must try again to make another full hardfile which incorporates, I have a folder of WHDload files which I can (fingers crossed) bake into the hard disk!. I'm assuming even if we get a hard disk working, we'll have to run it at a low resolution, or does this version of UAE support up to 640x480?

I got Skidmarks 2 up and running yesterday, see to work fine at low res, but if you switch it to the higher res, the car graphics become messed up so it's tough to work out exactly what direction you're supposed to be driving in!

Back