Release UAE4All 2.0

I'm assuming even if we get a hard disk working, we'll have to run it at a low resolution, or does this version of UAE support up to 640x480?
Yes lores only (which 99.8% of Amiga games use) for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
THe high res mode of Skidmarks seems to work well enough, apart from the main models, everything looks perfectly crisp(if slightly flickery!). Does Pinball Illusions run properly then, IIRC it goes into high res in multiball mode? I didn't play Slam Tilt for long enough again to see if the same happens there, the scoreboard issue put me off there (although it runs great otherwise!)

The emu displays hires gfx - just shrunk down into lores...

In the future I'll try to improve the emu so that it'll use 640x*** resolutions instead of 320x*** as it does now (still for most games lores is fine).

thanks as ever for all your hard work, it is much appreciated!! :D

Managed to load the HDF I use in WinUAE. Tbh the fonts look terrible because of lores. It's best if you already know what's what because some texts become almost indecipherable.

When clicking on Run->WHDLoad a msgbox appears "Insert volume 'LAUNCH'".

When clicking on Drawers->Games the msgbox reads "Insert volume 'A-GAMES'" (A-GAMES is the first subdirectory in Software/Games/).

As "HD dir" I've selected the "Software"-folder I use in WinUAE which I've copied to my sd card.

(^ Fixed a small bug here where the entry above the selected item would be loaded when pressing the L-key.)

For some reason it doesn't seem to work.

it's a pity there's isn't a way to run the whd files directly from within the UAE GUI, that would be very handy indeed! I remember the old PSP Amiga emulators used to load their savestates directly without even needing to load up an adf, that was pretty cool :)

Yeah but PSPUAE didn't support WHDLoad at all. You can't load WHDLoad games without booting Workbench.

But you can create a high density ADF with WHDLoad and a WHDLoad game and then load this on an emulated A1200 (don't know how to create such an ADF though).

not a clue either, I only ever use the unregistered version of WHDload back in the day (not that I could have bought it from Ireland I reckon), so I've no idea of the more advanced features and capabilities of it really! I must copy across a few more AGA games and see how they work!

When incorporating AnotherGuest's sources I forgot to add the call to "resetHdConf()" when resetting the Amiga in the gui ([R]-trigger).

Now added this and loading HDF + HD-dir works!

Had to click in Workbench through Drawer->Games->B->BattleSquadron->BattleSquadron (the extra WHDLoad-menu didn't work) and then the game started.

Unlike the disk version the WHDLoad-version lets you use the 2nd firebutton to use your smartbombs (with the disk version you have to whirl around the joystick). The game ran as great as ever - 50fps without frameskip, perfectly smooth scrolling, clear sound.

I only ever use the unregistered version of WHDload back in the day (not that I could have bought it from Ireland I reckon)
There are registered WHDLoad users from Australia so I think Ireland should be possible...

Well, I got WHDLoad with all my games setup on my Amiga 4000 machine, which is connected in my network environment.

So I guess the best way is to use WinUAE to setup a Harddisk image, install the workbench on it, copy all the games over via network and use that on UAE4ALL, right? :)

Yep. And I suggest you don't use a Picasso Workbench setup. This is the reason everything is hard to read for me in uae4all because my HDF is using a ClassicWB setup made for 800x600 and higher resolutions.

With a FULL or LITE ClassicWB install (which is ideal for 640x256 resolutions) everything should be well readable. Will setup such an hdf myself now.

my laptop was having a bit of a disagreement last night running Winuae, so I discovered that using the classic WB Lite file, you can boot into it if you place a workbench disk into DF0: BEFORE botting up the emulated system. This loads up the hard file, but I couldn't get any WHD load games to run as it kept telling me I didn't have the required tool in my C directory. I'll have to try creating a proper HDF file at home this evening after work. I know I can add an external folder as a drive easily enough, is it possible to simply copy my games from there into the hard file, and is that an easy process?(if it's as simple as copy/paste I will be a tad embarassed!!)

You can also setup the harddisk in UAE4All if you have the 6 Workbench 3.1 disks in ADF-format. It'll just take a bit longer than in WinUAE I think.

Is it possible to simply copy my games from there into the hard file, and is that an easy process?(if it's as simple as copy/paste I will be a tad embarassed!!)
Yes I think simply copying works.

Btw., installed a ClassicWB Lite yesterday and now everything's well readable (just not pretty).

Lite also seems to boot faster.

I tried to setup the full version in UAE4ALL, the 6 disks went mostly without a hitch (apart from some missing printer driver errors), then it wanted to install WHDload and all that, that bit took ages, and I fell asleep, when I woke up my machine had hung completely, and when I hard rebooted, I had to reinstall the firmware. It does actually load up that hard drive file, but I don't think it was a complete installation, as it crashes very easily, probably didn't install all required files before it hung. Does your Lite version run the WHDload games ok? Maybe I'll try that one again as a proper install, and not just the quick boot I was doing!

No worries, I have my WINUAE up and running again (it decided it didn't like my Direct X drivers, so I had to download d updates etc), so that is working again, so I'll get to look at that properly this evening. Really didn't expect to see a portable hard drive version of an Amiga through UAE4ALL, this has been truly amazing progress!

my laptop was having a bit of a disagreement last night running Winuae, so I discovered that using the classic WB Lite file, you can boot into it if you place a workbench disk into DF0: BEFORE botting up the emulated system. This loads up the hard file, but I couldn't get any WHD load games to run as it kept telling me I didn't have the required tool in my C directory. I'll have to try creating a proper HDF file at home this evening after work. I know I can add an external folder as a drive easily enough, is it possible to simply copy my games from there into the hard file, and is that an easy process?(if it's as simple as copy/paste I will be a tad embarassed!!)

Hi Stouffa,

I had never used WHDLoad before but managed to set up HD with WHDLoad on and installed Heimdall 2 AGA.

After you have set up the HD using you workbench disks you then need to install WHDLoad. The reason you are getting the message about not having the correct tool is that you need to put installer.lha on the HD. I used this link below which practically explains the whole thing. You can set up in either WINUAE or UAE4ALL. It is much easier to setup in WINUAE and then just transfer Hardfile to the Pandora.

There were still a few other files that I needed from Aminet, but it was easier enough.

Hope it helps

:)

http://guide.abime.net/home3.htm

THe high res mode of Skidmarks seems to work well enough, apart from the main models, everything looks perfectly crisp(if slightly flickery!). Does Pinball Illusions run properly then, IIRC it goes into high res in multiball mode? I didn't play Slam Tilt for long enough again to see if the same happens there, the scoreboard issue put me off there (although it runs great otherwise!)
Pinball Illusions does go to Hi-res mode when you get multiball, it's also selectable as the default playing mode.

Unfortunately the screen looks very pixellated when Hi-res mode is turned on and emulation speed takes a nose dive.

I think John4p will be working on actually implementing proper high res screenmodes at some stage, but I imagine they will take a performance hit on the emulator performance?

Back