Release UAE4All 2.0

I used whdload versions, you can add a directory from the same hard drive menu, you just have to highlight the required directory and press L to select it, then it'll appear on your desktop when you boot up!

I used whdload versions, you can add a directory from the same hard drive menu, you just have to highlight the required directory and press L to select it, then it'll appear on your desktop when you boot up!

Nice, i didnt know that would work, i assumed you could only load either a dir or a file.

tnx for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if you can copy games directly onto the system.hdf through UAE4ALL or if you have to do it on WinUAE? I think I tried on WinUAE and seemed to run out of space for some unknown reason. I find it easier to do it this way instead :) (oh and glad to help BTW)

I'm not sure if you can copy games directly onto the system.hdf through UAE4ALL or if you have to do it on WinUAE? I think I tried on WinUAE and seemed to run out of space for some unknown reason. I find it easier to do it this way instead :) (oh and glad to help BTW)

Cool, and i am glad to get the help :p

how do i run the games btw?

I see them on the desktop in a folder, and the folder contains an install file, and some colicon and con files, no idea however how to execute them.

Am i missing something?

I see them on the desktop in a folder, and the folder contains an install file, and some colicon and con files, no idea however how to execute them.

Am i missing something?

If you have downloaded the WHDload file, you should be able to run the install file and insert the appropriate disks (which of course you own original copies of), and go from there!! ;)

Am i missing something?

If you have downloaded the WHDload file, you should be able to run the install file and insert the appropriate disks (which of course you own original copies of), and go from there!! ;)

Ah so you basically install the game with the floppy inserted and then you can play it afterwards by selecting it from the drawer?

I am a noob at amiga OS.

wont that fill the hd image up?

I thought that WHDload files allowed us to run a game directly without the need of installation.

Whdload files are basically install files for floppy games that were never designed to be run from hard disk. Once all data files have been copied correctly, then you can run the games from your had disk. If you use a Hard disk diretory in conjunction with the system.hdf file as explained before, you won't run out of space as the two are treated seperately (if that makes sense?) I've PM'd you a better explanation ;)

Whdload files are basically install files for floppy games that were never designed to be run from hard disk. Once all data files have been copied correctly, then you can run the games from your had disk. If you use a Hard disk diretory in conjunction with the system.hdf file as explained before, you won't run out of space as the two are treated seperately (if that makes sense?) I've PM'd you a better explanation ;)

Tnx, il look at my pm :)

Is there a way to run uae4all with a certain configuration-file specified and directly launching emulation without showing the option-menu?

I do know about manually mounting a PND and running (modified) start-scripts, but as far as I can see none of the uae4all-binaries accept command-line-parameters.

I really would like to do stuff like building my own bashscript that

1) unzips a WHDLoad-game, if not already existant in some Game-directory

2) modifies the user-startup-file in the "<HarddiskDirectory>/S/"-directory

3) mounts the UAE4all-pnd

4) runs uae4all with a specified config-file that directly starts emulation

5) asks if you want to remove the unpacked game-data

or simply runs some adf-disk directly with a certain uae4all-config.

now if you took that bashscript made a different one for each game, could you then use pickles front end to display the list of bashscripts for each different game?

I'm not experienced with Pickles front-end. No idea in which way it can be configured. But it might work. I myself wasn't necessarily planning to use that launcher, but maybe implement it in to my own (dirty) modification of cplay, which is a python-ncurces music-player (text-only). You can configure any command-line player you want in that player. My slight modified version, which i call "clauncher" launches certain scripts for files that or located in certain directories. So in the end for e.g. SNES games the snes-emulator-pnd is being mounted and the emulator run with the game directly being launched. Nothing special program-wise.

There is also whd-game-launcher called WHDRunner which i might be able to use in order to do what i think about. But it would need a little modification too. And so i might as well once again write my own bash-script with more or less automation for the differences between the various whdload-games. I din't look that much into it so far.

Currently this should all be doable, just that everytime the uae4all-menu will show up, you have to press the right-located shoulder-button to start the emulation. And if I would need different configurations for different games (not sure how often this would occur since whdload does some automated configuration to the amiga-system as well AFAIK), then I would have to temporarily replace the main-config of uae4all since i can't specify a alternate one while starting the emulator.

All together I haven't been working on this lately very much. I just tried out to get one whdload-game running and remembered that several months ago I was thinking about solutions to this already.

(written in a hurry)

Finally I did what you said and upgraded UAE4ALL to version 2 now. (I kept v1 until now, because I use savestates, but I was told here in this thread before, that v2 allows the user to choose to run the old version, too).

Okay... did the upgrade, started it, chose "Old" version, then tried to mount a disk image.. but no luck.

Whenever I choose a disk image, afterwards the disk slot still says "insert disk image".

What could be wrong here?

Thanks,

Daniel

I took a closer look on what "whdrunner" does. It comes with a WHDLoad.xml that has an entry for each WHDGame (2665 so far) like the following one:

Code:
<Game Name="'Allo 'Allo! Cartoon Fun!" FileName="AlloAllo_v1.0.zip" ScrnshotFilename="A\'Allo_'Allo!_Cartoon_Fun!.png" UseMouse="False" PalNTSC="0" Cd="dh1:AlloAllo;" WHDLoad="AlloAllo.slave PRELOAD; CUSTOM1=1;" UAEConfig="collision_level=playfields|cpu_speed=real|immediate_blits=false|cpu_compatible=false|cpu_cycle_exact=false|blitter_cycle_exact=false|cycle_exact=false" />

As you can see it also stores some settings for the emulator, which we can not apply in that form with UAE4ALL. But at least I was able to use it to automatically configure the user-startup of my Workbench, so that the game directly launches (except for the need to still press the right-shoulder-button to pass the uae4all-menu at the beginning).

While I did not try to modify whdrunner itself, I wrote myself a primitive (and most likely badly coded) bash-script, that takes a WHDLoad-Game-Zip as argument, unzips it, modifies the user-startup of your Workbench and launches UAE4ALL. Additionally it backups/restores the games-config for UAE4ALL (the default config is being overwritten and restored later). So you can simply save changes for the current WHDLoad-game to the current general config.

The whole thing still can use some improvement and is nothing for someone who ain't got at least very basic knowledge about bash-scripts as you would need to modify some paths to make it work for you, but I could share it if someone is interested. Also you need to have set up uae4all, a working Amiga-Harddisk-directory (not a -file) and WHDLoad yourself and fetched the WHDLoad.xml from the whdrunner-zip.

Am I the only one? Again UAE stopped working and I had to reinstall the PND. Unlike the last time I could enter the emulator's menu but my Pandora froze when I reseted the Amiga to load from an adf.

The only freeze I had during the tests that I did in the last week (didn't use uae4all before that in a while), was when I was trying some emulator-shortkeys and pressed LShoulder-button + l (that is the small character "L" not "Left" or a large "i"). I'm not even sure what that's for, but it might be the shortkey for loading savestates and the crash might have occured because there was no savestate or a very old one from a different version. Just guessing.

But I'm surprised that reinstalling the PND makes a change. I can't explain that to myself. Deleting the appfolder ... ok ... I would expect that to make a difference. But reinstalling ... strange.

Maybe some SDHC-card problem? Though I don't see how or why. If it stops working for you frequently you could try to install the pnd to NAND or a different SDHC-card. I'm just picking in the dark.

The only freeze I had during the tests that I did in the last week (didn't use uae4all before that in a while), was when I was trying some emulator-shortkeys and pressed LShoulder-button + l (that is the small character "L" not "Left" or a large "i"). I'm not even sure what that's for, but it might be the shortkey for loading savestates and the crash might have occured because there was no savestate or a very old one from a different version. Just guessing.

But I'm surprised that reinstalling the PND makes a change. I can't explain that to myself. Deleting the appfolder ... ok ... I would expect that to make a difference. But reinstalling ... strange.

Maybe some SDHC-card problem? Though I don't see how or why. If it stops working for you frequently you could try to install the pnd to NAND or a different SDHC-card. I'm just picking in the dark.

I doubt that this comes from a faulty SDHC-card as it is the only problem I have encountered so far with this card. No other strange effects like loosing data or corrupted dirs and such. And it is a Sandisk from a reliable retailer (reichelt). Must be something other...

I'll try to get a reproducible result.

Yeah its a save thing I think. I wondered if it happens if you save when the amiga was loading. ie just as a boss approached in saint dragon and agony I saved it. Later the saves were corrupted or crap and uae crashed. I was meaning to delete old saves cos maybe on was messing things up.

Does whdload have to be used with winuae? Which version of whdload should I download? The download I got has tons of seperate files and such. Looks messy. I want to run cd 32 games and a1200 cd games etc. Which generally works best whdload or a hardisk file created in winuae? Gonna have to figure this stuff out. Someone should write a tutorial for this emulator, whdload, hd files etc.

Right how the hell do I get whdload games to work. I have the whdload installer folder and I have aga banshee adfs. What am I doing wrong? If I put the adfs in the disk drives and select install from the whdload file nothing happens.edit do i have to create hd disk executeables in winuae and then transfer them to the pandora?

Back