Ucla Iranian-american Student Tazed Multiple Times

By this time the student had begun to walk toward the door with his backpack when an officer approached him and grabbed his arm.....
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

You guys in the UC sstem need to have your ID cards on you at all times when you are on campus?
My UW system college let anyone go into the Library, hell they could get into any building. If, someone wanted to use the computer lab they had to use thier user name and pass. So, I would imagine that the UC has that sort of set up for computers.

Oh well, it was an odd use of force in a public area, and it goes to show that people have technology, camera phone, on them and will use it.

By this time the student had begun to walk toward the door with his backpack when an officer approached him and grabbed his arm.....
I'm loving the consistent trend of anti-American sentiment in your posts. You're coming across like a real charming character.

Yes, unfortunately, incidents like this sometimes happen, and not always in the US. (look what happened in Britain, the terror suspect who was shot to death, sought in connection to the train bombings, and it turns out he was innocent.) Police brutality has a long history, long before 9/11, too. It is unfortunate such events happen but something like calling the US a 'police state' or implying such incidents reflect the wider state of affairs is nonsense. Regardless I hope the officers involved lose their jobs and charges are filed against them, because their actions were completely unjustified.

After watching the video (which is more 'listening to' the video, you can't see anything), it paints a slightly different picture. His race aside, the guy was not cooperative at all. He wouldn't stand up when told to for entire MINUTES, seemingly to prove a point. Also, I can't really think of your average person, after being shocked with a tazer, would respond immediately by yelling about the Patriot Act? With all the college students who love to try to make a point through civil disobedience, he could've been trying to be melodramatic and bring attention by refusing to comply with anything the officers told him to do. Regardless of your race, if you continue to refuse lawful instructions by the police again and again for MINUTES I'm pretty sure they are authorized to use non-lethal force to get you into custody.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Epicentre: The guy on the train ran. For a different reason, yes, but he ran none the less, after the bombings, of course he got shot.

Also, America is the retard of the world. My motto (when speaking to America):

We brought you into this, and we can sure as hell take you out of it! *hits the launch button"

I'm loving the consistent trend of anti-American sentiment in your posts. You're coming across like a real charming character.

Yes, unfortunately, incidents like this sometimes happen, and not always in the US. (look what happened in Britain, the terror suspect who was shot to death, sought in connection to the train bombings, and it turns out he was innocent.) Police brutality has a long history, long before 9/11, too. It is unfortunate such events happen but something like calling the US a 'police state' or implying such incidents reflect the wider state of affairs is nonsense. Regardless I hope the officers involved lose their jobs and charges are filed against them, because their actions were completely unjustified.

After watching the video (which is more 'listening to' the video, you can't see anything), it paints a slightly different picture. His race aside, the guy was not cooperative at all. He wouldn't stand up when told to for entire MINUTES, seemingly to prove a point. Also, I can't really think of your average person, after being shocked with a tazer, would respond immediately by yelling about the Patriot Act? With all the college students who love to try to make a point through civil disobedience, he could've been trying to be melodramatic and bring attention by refusing to comply with anything the officers told him to do. Regardless of your race, if you continue to refuse lawful instructions by the police again and again for MINUTES I'm pretty sure they are authorized to use non-lethal force to get you into custody.
Stand up when youre tazed ???
do you know the effect of a tazer. It cramps muscles and immobilize the subject they could have yelled stand up all night for all i care

He kinda has a point there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tazer

Earlier models of Taser needed the dart-like electrodes to embed in the skin and superficial muscle tissues layers; newer versions of the projectiles use a shaped pulse / arc of electricity which disrupt nerve and muscle function without needing the metal prongs on the projectile to penetrate the skin.

@Epicentre: The guy on the train ran. For a different reason, yes, but he ran none the less, after the bombings, of course he got shot.

We brought you into this, and we can sure as hell take you out of it! *hits the launch button"

That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. When have we ever used a nuclear weapon? Twice, against an enemy who started a war with us, in the same confrontation. And that's it. You make it sound like we're nuking Iraq and Afghanistan. :rolleyes:

At any rate, why did this student not leave when told to? Maybe he was trying to get the officers to show up and make a scene. I'm not saying he did, but with how many liberal hippies there are at colleges who LOVE to demonstrate, it's not unheard of.

At any rate, why did this student not leave when told to? Maybe he was trying to get the officers to show up and make a scene. I'm not saying he did, but with how many liberal hippies there are at colleges who LOVE to demonstrate, it's not unheard of.
Maybe he just had work to do?

That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. When have we ever used a nuclear weapon? Twice, against an enemy who started a war with us, in the same confrontation. And that's it. You make it sound like we're nuking Iraq and Afghanistan. :rolleyes:

Ahem, used twice, offered many more times. While reading a book on the history of the atomic bomb (i can get it from my library and quote it if you want) i was startled to read how, when france first asked the US for aid in vietnam, the first thing that the US offered was not troops or cash, but 2-5 ATOMIC BOMBS. There are other cases, but that is the one that stuck in my mind the most. And then there were the days of the cold war when canada just sat here desperatly hoping that the idiots down south didn't fly off the handle, because we knew that those missiles would go more or less right over top of us. In regards to japan, it had already surrendered, the US merely wanted to show off. So in, conclusion, do you really wonder why the states comes across as "trigger happy" when it comes to Nuclear weaponry?

While reading a book on the history of the atomic bomb (i can get it from my library and quote it if you want) i was startled to read how, when france first asked the US for aid in vietnam, the first thing that the US offered was not troops or cash, but 2-5 ATOMIC BOMBS.
I've never heard of this bit, but I know a hell of a lot more about WW2 than Vietnam. So I won't comment on it.

There are other cases, but that is the one that stuck in my mind the most. And then there were the days of the cold war when canada just sat here desperatly hoping that the idiots down south didn't fly off the handle, because we knew that those missiles would go more or less right over top of us.
ICBMs passing over Canada wouldn't have caused any harm to Canada, just the target they landed on. While Soviet nuclear weapons were probably not the most accurate things in the world they shouldn't have landed a whole country away. :p Regardless, if a nuclear war between the US and USSR did break out the real concern would be nuclear fallout, not what route the ICBMs took to get to the states.

In regards to japan, it had already surrendered, the US merely wanted to show off.
The US dropped the 2 atomic bombs on August 6 and August 9 of 1945. Japan surrendered August 15 of that same year, and signed the Instrument of Surrender on September 2. These dates are worldwide-known fact and aren't open to dispute. So ... what are you talking about? :p

So in, conclusion, do you really wonder why the states comes across as "trigger happy" when it comes to Nuclear weaponry?
Yes. Again, we're the only country to ever use them, and we only used them once. So I definitely do question this.

If an ICBM's propulsion failed for some reason, it could have landed in canada, and if the states launched nukes, we were quite justified to be afriad the russia's would have failed over canada.

I wasn't sure about japan, i had heard somewhere that they were opening surrender talks when the states bombed them.

Because you are the only country ever to use the most destructive weapon currently in possesion of mankind, you get a certain stigma attached to you.

Back