Unboxing The Pandora Dev Kit

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Since the forums here were down I posted some hardware p0rn over at my blog.

Rather than re-enter it all here, take a peek; nothing new to see, but some new pics of things you've already seen :) Its not the latest pcb, but pretty recent (looks like the 128KMB model for me.)

The devs are super busy, so I imagine as a few of us who got/getting the devkit reveal themselves we might be able to answer few queswtions as we figure things out, or take a few choice pics, etc. (Mike has said its okay to gab, but I also don't want to step on anyones toes or post info that is or will be inaccurate, so don't expect me to give away any surprises!)

The one pic that turned out well (I suck with a camera):

http://www.codejedi.com/blogmedia/entertai...ra/IMG_1037.JPG

The blog entry is here:
http://www.codejedi.com/cgi-bin/blog.cgi/e...t_unboxing.blog

"maybe a few people will enjoy the pics; a few more will be relieved that things are in motion; finally still even more will be happy that there is another conduit for some information without bugging the poor guys."

FWIW last night I got the OS booting and noodled around, and kept a log of the boot post and dmesg stuff, bvut alas I won't have too much time until Monday. (Fiunny enough.. my wife was sure I was constructina bomb when this mysterios package arrives and out comes a few little pcb's with wires all over the place :)

jeff

Christmas comes when the Pandora ships!

At this point, some news are always good news B) And even more if they are accompanied by some photographs.

Here it is the list of the visible parts in your photos, copied from thinkl33t blog:
CODE
1x WG7210 - Wireless & BT Module including TI WL1251, WL1251FE and WL1251PM
2x ALVC00 - Low Voltage 2 input NAND Gate
1x TWL4030CI - TI Audio & Power Management Chip
1x 8JA98/JWI92 - [Micron RAM Package] atop TI OMAP 3530 SoC
1x WY245 - TI 32-BIT DUAL-SUPPLY BUS TRANSCEIVER
1x ATMega8L - Atmel ATmega8L Micro Controller (may be 2 of these)
1x WE245 - TI 8-BIT DUAL-SUPPLY BUS TRANSCEIVER
1x TI 1773 - ?

EDIT: Ups, parag0n was faster on this ;)

It's amazing to see how small is the Omap compared to the USB socket, isn't it? And those two gigantic -in comparison- card readers are not CF sized, but SD :) This whole thing is small, indeed.

Yum!

I'm wondering what the Atmel controller(s) are used for and if we can program them! :D

We have been chatting about this on IRC, and we suspect they are used as I/O expanders for the analog sticks, game controls, and keyboard

Great to finally see a high resolution image of the PCB. Although I have to admit that I am a little bit concerned about the lack of test points. MWeston stated that
MWeston said:
I will have a termination point for every signal I was able to fan out from the processor, implemented or not and all connectors and headers for the entire Pandora will be documented and freely available; Subject to that "at your own risk and voided warranty" clause of course.....

Now, I didn't expect an abundance of TPs like in the new DSi (DSi teardown), but the MK2 dev board looks like any interesting signal beside the obvious KPBL or JTAG would only be available at SMD components or vias. This wouldn't be a bad thing per se, any hardware hacker is used to such soldering. But I fear that many signals (e.g. camera connetions) just didn't made it out from under the BGA package, otherwise there would be much more open ends. And I wanted to mod a nice and fast camera in there :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the revision with the 256 or 128 mb of ram?

learn to read. Can't repeat it often enough
He mentions it a few times: He assumes its the 128mb version but he doesn't need more memory for what he wants to do anyway
//Edit: (Or do I mix that with someone else now? Atleast this one says 128KMB (K is prolly wrong..) in the first post)

Virtually all the Pandoras sent out to developers are the 128MB model, as these were already produced. The 256MB model is reserved for special cases such as a kernel developer adding in support for 256MB of RAM.

He most definitely has a 128MB model, if he didn't request a 256MB model.

Mine is on the way here, but is held up thanks to the Thanksgiving Holidays. Sigh.

I definately do have the 128MB model (in fact I made a note to request that as I really don't need more for what I want to do before the production model comes my way. If theres very few of the bigger model, better to send it to someone else.)

[ 0.000000] Memory: 128MB = 128MB total
[ 0.000000] Memory: 118072KB available (3140K code, 226K data, 132K init)

If I typed K, well, twas in a hurry :)

jeff

Hollenderster said:
Great to finally see a high resolution image of the PCB. Although I have to admit that I am a little bit concerned about the lack of test points. MWeston stated that

He did also state that he used a lot of the previously available points for other things like the new Wifi/BT combo package, new Analog controls, and other things.

parag0n said:
We have been chatting about this on IRC, and we suspect they are used as I/O expanders for the analog sticks, game controls, and keyboard
Nope, all that stuff is handled by OMAP and TWL.

i hate to ask such a nooob question but does the Pandora have a built~in microphone ? as im sure i had read at least twice before that the panda would have a mic.Also if there is an in~built mic,can it be used for general use like pidgen? . again sorry for not paying attention ! Thanx

paddy said:
does the Pandora have a built~in microphone ?
can it be used for general use like pidgen?
from openpandora.ca: QUOTE
- Internal microphone plus ability to connect external microphone through headset

So yes it has, and yes it can be used for any program that uses a microphone.

Back