Unfair to Intelleco

theoriginalmogwai

Still Fresh
This is a small rant at the extremely unfair treatment that SOME of people (only a small number) here have inflicted on Intelleco.

So what if the emulator didn't live upto expectations (in some peoples minds), it's still not fair to have a go at the author. Many of THOSE people who did have a do not truly appreciate the amount of work that goes into writing an emalator.

These guy's give up many hours (in some cases) of their UNPAID time to produce this software. I suspect this COULD be one of the reasons why many applications are private beta's, not released, or we have to wait a very long time for a release (even though the application is good enough to release). That kind of a

All I'm sayin' is lay of 'em. When I got my GP32 last year - this community was a lot more friendly and respectful than it is now. I'm very reluctant to release my work - I know my software is not that great, but it's about giving back to what is still a very lively community. However, who would want to give back when you have people that are likely to be overly critical for no REAL reason.

Remember - most of the very best software on the GP32 is freeware - don't attack that hand that feeds you.

Just my £0.02 worth.

people were only annoyed with the guy becuase he said his emulator was fullspeed with sound.

it wasn't

people wanted to play full speed mario cart with sound.

they couldn't

SO, if you have waited for a bit of software to come out for months and it just does not do what it says its going to do, then i think people are entitled to get a little miffed, also he has not released the source so nobody can work on it now......which a damn shame as that was the closest the gp32 community got to a Good snes emu.

Excellent point well made.

Please don't give up on releasing your software though.

I love to download new stuff to test out what people have done. Even if it is buggy or not very good, I enjoyed all the homebrew sfuff in Craig's competition but most of all the thrill of knowing it was all coming for me to try free.

How many times have you bought a game and found you hardly play it ?

If it is homebrew at least you didn't pay for it and often it is better than anything else available. e.g. GPdoom vs GBA Games , Mame vs anything you can buy on a PC.

Another 4 penneth ;-)

the word fullspeed was thrown around so much during the wip reports of the emu and the results speak for theself the whole thing was hyped and exagerated, the feedback given was very missleading, people were disapointed, people moaned, its what happens u can be sure the only reason for the amount of moans was due to it being final release and no source and the reason for the source not being release also really didn't help

Hello Sensible GP32.

Thanx for your comments. You said:-

SO, if you have waited for a bit of software to come out for months and it just does not do what it says its going to do, then i think people are entitled to get a little miffed, also he has not released the source so nobody can work on it now......which a damn shame as that was the closest the gp32 community got to a Good snes emu.

What entitlement? If it was a piece software that you had to pay for - then people are entitled to be miffed. I disagree in this instance. Of course people are allowed to be disappointed, but not entitled. Telling a developer his software is not up to standard is one thing, having a go is another.

It's upto Intelleco whether or not he releases his sources. And do you really think he is likely to?

T.O.M.

everyone was entitled to their own oppnions, i was very excited at the prospect of this snes emu, i had followed it closely, and so had ALOT of other people.

i was very happy with the features that the snes emu overall it was a good emu' but there was no speed increase from the last version. which had come out months before.

and regarding the source, people wouldn't Hijack it in anyway or form, if it was released Credit would be given.

its just a big dissapointment to me, im sure alot of people felt the same way too.

Yeah, all respect for the guy for his hard work. And if it was only 50% with no sound? well, you still wouldn't have paid for it, and I don't complain about sofware that is free. HOWEVER, some people bought a GP on the strength of his comments, he could have been more carefull. Also bragging that no one would equal his effort, and not realeasing his sources (which are based on someone elses major efforts, who wants the sources released) is a bit bad form, in my opinion.

/agree Sensi

complete respect to Intelleco on his effort, time and obvious skill, but with all the false pre-release hype, it left a real bitter taste in my mouth, thats the problem here.

Agree and appreciate Intelleco's efforts - however, at the very least he should have made some notes/statements about the state that it was in and that he didn't have the time to get it to where he promised it would be - or something came up.

Something that helps people to understand why it's not what it was promised to be.

I hope he sees that people are eager about his work - but it seems like a few have burned by hype now - and we all could do without the hype. The new genesis Emulator is a perfect example of release - underpromised and overdelivered.

HZ :ph34r:

Personally I don't like GP32 SNES emulation because the GBA has a big range of ported SNES games like Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Final Fight, some of those wierd shooting games, Super Mario Advance 2 and 3, and several other odds and sods. I get the impression usually people just wanna freeload off the big N, and that they demand perfection in doing so. If you wanna play a more complex non-ported game like Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger or Mario Kart, you're asking for a lot from a current generation handheld emulating 16-bit architecture. The GP32 is powerful, but programmers aren't all powerful. Rome wasn't built in a day. Take what you get and don't buy a console just for emulation of one system, regardless! Nintendo themselves already cater for this market well enough IMO!

With Sega, it's different. Both their portables had horrible battery life and bad screens, there's no real choice. Commodore and Atari, well, do I need to explain? No deterioration/corrosion of tapes/disks! That was once upon a time the 'true' purpose of emulation (and I'm talking about 8 years ago). People forgot once Nesticle (NES) came out, but they had fun so it was alright, and generally people were hobbyists. When UltraHLE (N64) and Bleem! came out, chaos broke out. One thing worse than emulating a current gen system decently: charging money for it.

Um, the point is be grateful for what you get. Asking for Mario Kart to be emulated is a lot. But asking for it full speed? No way! If someone says their unreleased emu does that, odds are they're lying. History shows emu programmers who complain and exaggerate are forgotten. Does anyone remember Genem? If so do you remember why it was discontinued? It was discontinued 2 odd days after Genecyst came out. The story behind it is, sardu (genecyst auth) refused to give Genem author his source (I think his was closed source too!). Genecyst at that point had LOW compatibility and no sound, the speed was the only true improvement. Genem is the technological equvilent of GenEmu in terms of speed and compatibility. Nothing prevented him from bettering him. He just piked. That is how sites and IRC recorded the story, anyway.

Not that I'm saying this Intelleco fella's a liar or unimportant. I'm just saying history teaches you sometimes.

I don't recall ever hearing Intellecto claiming that any of the mode 7(Mario Kart, Pilot Wings etc..) games would run at full speed. In fact, if I remember correctly, he said in an old news item that even when the emu runs most games at full speed these would still not be playable.

Maybe someone with a better memory can help me out here, anyone remember reading that news item a long time ago?

Oh, and on the subject of Nintendo, here's a nice article I found recently:

http://www.geekcomix.com/vgh/fourth/nesbad.shtml

And I agree with tomjack264, snes9xgp is cool for a lot of games. :)

well I dont see the big problem I think snes9x was damn good work so what if its not full speed its near with no sound and i find frame skip 2 is fine on metroid and the menu is better so a big hand for Intelleco just wish he'd realeace the sorce code so someone else could carry on with it but thats up to him i think its like finishing someone else's painting.

I have nothing but praise and thanks for Intellecto, he ported the emulator in his own time and some of the remarks I have seen towards him are disgusting. I am ashamed to be part of this crowd now where all that happens is people demand for what they don't have and bitch when they do have it but its is not quite perfect.

He tried his best, and I have to admit he got pretty far with it and many games run full speed to me (156Mhz version), even many that are not full speed are still playable and I genuinely have had much enjoyement from his work recently.

All the whiners will do is prevent people from trying to port in the future. I fully understand now why Ryleh has not released most of his emulators

I would though of liked to see Intellecto release the source code as he has now himself finished with the project, although if I were him, after all the disrespect I had seen would not release the source code at all.

It may be a busy time in the GP32 scene but it is a dark time too...

I must argee at this point. SNES9x is a great emulator but i doesn't live up his hype. Maybe we should think twice before hyping a emulator again?

its a shame it stopped now if i could have just 1 less frame skip for me it would have been playable with sound as i'm not 2 picky as long as i can have sound! Sadly my gp32 does not overclock at all + well 166mhz from what i've heard would have been perfect for my wantings its just a shame development has stopped when it was so close 2 being playable for me

Yo,

I never really cared that it wasn't fullspeed. I never expected it to be what was posted before. I mean, I never believed it would be that fast. I'm surprised that others were sucked in by such a claim. Anyways, why I'm pissed at Intellecto is that he decided to officially call it quits on the emulator, but he just killed it. No release of source code. With the source code released, someone else could have easily picked it up to continue it. There are so many little options that could have been added easily if the source was released.

THAT'S why I'm pissed at Intellecto.

He could easily fix my faith in him, just be releasing his source. But he's too much of an ass to do that.

Rattboi posted on Sep 5 2003 at 06:59 PM said:
Yo,

I never really cared that it wasn't fullspeed. I never expected it to be what was posted before. I mean, I never believed it would be that fast. I'm surprised that others were sucked in by such a claim. Anyways, why I'm pissed at Intellecto is that he decided to officially call it quits on the emulator, but he just killed it. No release of source code. With the source code released, someone else could have easily picked it up to continue it. There are so many little options that could have been added easily if the source was released.

THAT'S why I'm pissed at Intellecto.

He could easily fix my faith in him, just be releasing his source. But he's too much of an ass to do that.
I must corect myself i have to argree a full 100% at Rattboi (didn't he (Rattboi) made a wonderswam emulator to and gave the source away?).

Release the source or give it to someone (wasn't the guy that made litle john also thinking about adding SNES support to litle john? I'm pretty sure he can make some great work of the Snes9x source)

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep reading that argument over and over. "If he released the code, someone else could pick it up and continue the project."

If someone has that kind of program skills, why don't they just start with the same code he did, and port it themselves? From looking at the program it doesn't seem like the guy knows a lot of "speed enhancing commands" that no one else knows.

As I've said before, everyone not happy with the free software available on the GP32 can apply for a full refund.

Back