Elektronika BK-0010
Robotron KC 85/1
Atari ST
Commodore 128
Commodore Amiga
Acorn Archimedes
SAM Coupé

That is all.

You're my hero. (for the rest of the day, anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ SefSermak...
Bahahahahaha! What on earth are you on about??? Im stunned... Its ALL about the keyboard... thats why we are all here patiently waiting for our clamshell Wiz like device with built in keyboard and nubs... Its ALL about the layout of ALL the controls.

You didnt think we hadnt noticed other devices on the market that are available today did you??? :lol:

(Am I a fanboy? NO! Im 34... Im a FanMAN and its not cos my deeply anticipated console is in anyway famous or fashionable/trendy or that some celebrity was seen with one in Paris/L.A. or cos its "the most powerful handheld in the world" (it isnt) Its cos we want it the way we all said we wanted it and that my learned friend is with a keyboard!) ;)

The keyboard is what's going to make emulation of older computers so PERFECT.
The keyboard is a major feature for me.

On screen keyboards suck, and therefore I will never buy an Apple product. You just don't get the tactile pleasure of a real keyboard and it hurts your fingers. Seriously, do you consider Apple iPad/iPhone/Touch a legit long term gaming platform? You would sit there for hours pressing against a glass screen?

cbox said:
On screen keyboards suck, and therefore I will never buy an Apple product. You just don't get the tactile pleasure of a real keyboard and it hurts your fingers. Seriously, do you consider Apple iPad/iPhone/Touch a legit long term gaming platform? You would sit there for hours pressing against a glass screen?
... yes?

Clarification : I wouldn't type on it, but games designed for a touch screen? Yea, I'd play those.

I also fit into the category that can't get used to an on-screen keyboard. I'd rather have tactile feedback.

I quite like the iPhone kboard and I can use it well/fast. But it's got to be these capacative style ones, the pandora resistive style like on DS I don't really like so much, ok for navigating around desktop and menu but not for typing, especially anything long. Even one of those screens would only be good for thumbs, so would need to be on the bottom of pandora where nubs and kboard are currently, the lid screen would be a fingering affair...ahem

plus I get the impression all the hax0r dev l33t types would prefer kboard for doing their coding, much as I will prefer using a proper kboard for when I'm typing a text message or word docu. And I think it was these dev types that were the spawn of this project so their valued input was aquired early doors

and those amiga and c64 consoles need kboard right? And blindly feeling around a touchscreen for dpad is knightmare enough [yes iPhone] so I'd hate to try playing with a whole sequence of touchscreen keys... I'd need independently working eyes like an iguana

yay kboard I say

mali said:
ricki said:
For me a hard keyboard is absolutely necessary!
Would you like a German layout, or are you ok with the English version? I'll start a discussion about it in the near future. If we take first and second batchers, we might reach the necessary 1000 for an alternative layout.
I use the en-us layout on a german keyboard. I don't care about umlaute. Even in my business e-mail I use ae, ue, oe and ss. I would want an english layout. But it would be a good thing to have the choice between different flavors imo.

Original Direction of this thread:
old-car-new-boxes.jpg

New Direction:
car_flying_off_cliff.jpg

Anyways, I like the fact the Pandora has a physical keyboard. I can use my iPod Touch's on screen keyboard just fine mostly. But it's still hit or miss sometimes. And it doesn't have that feeling that I'm typing on something (e.g. a keyboard).

And don't even get me started about typing with a joystick and a action button. Thats just plain tedious and takes too long.

Attachments

• old-car-new-boxes.jpg
    old-car-new-boxes.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 98
  • car_flying_off_cliff.jpg
    car_flying_off_cliff.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 95
the keyboard is the most important part, if it didn't have that then I would just stick with my F200, for all the classic 8 bit software you NEED the keyboard, try playing Microprose F15 strike eagle or Zork without it, plus many current games and apps need a keyboard to be usable, lot's of stuff written for the Pandora will use the keyboard for shortcuts etc, it may not be Igeneration trendy, but I value function over a trendy gadget that does nothing but what it's makers permit.

as for the TI994a, I had one of those back in the day, what a mess it was, a 16 bit computer that was slower than most 8 bit machines and TI left Peek and Poke out of the BASIC to force people to buy the expansion pack/rom/ram/drive if they wanted to code in assembler or use high res mode or sprites, ummmm!, does the simulator realistically pause for garbage collection every few minutes when running BASIC programs? :rolleyes: , that's one thing they could have safely left out imo

not to mention TI's infamous attempt to grab all software by claiming anything written on a TI computer was the property of TI, that went down really well in the day :blink:

ahhh, fun days..

call char 65,"0,0,0,0,ff,ff,0,0"
call hchar 65,20,0,32

(or something like that) ;) , still had lot'sa fun with it though, wrote my first data compression routine on one (for an adventure game called Atlantis)

The first time we get a portable system that can do c64,amiga,atarist and others including running a full Linux OS and you want to kill the dream by taking away the keyboard keys ??? you are mad ,the Pandora is the only device to have keys and full game controls and you want to take it away becase it might look better ,look my friend i think you need a nintendo ds.

CokeCanNinja said:
Here's an idea, how about we gang-slap this noob?

I'll be up for that, would there be some kind of grand gathering in his hometown? lol...
But if so, we should get some of the "can we please have <insert new technology here> on our Pandora?" together and do the same...

I mean, come on, the keyboard is one of the main things drawing me to this project.. Imagine playing whatever game, and you need to use letters/numbers for changing weapons or whatever?

A virtual keyboard would take too much time and fiddling to be effective. (click something to bring keyboard up, click the letter/number you wanted, click somewhere to make keyboard go away)
plus, there is the possibility of the game lagging and whatnot when bringing up the keyboard.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me...

Snow-Okami said:
LOL @ This thread. *continues to eat popcorn and watch*
No kidding. SefSermak hasn't posted since the top of the second page. The last 5 have basically been people repeating and agreeing with the same reasons from the first two pages. :p

Alerino said:
WizardStan said:
Snow-Okami said:
LOL @ This thread. *continues to eat popcorn and watch*
No kidding. SefSermak hasn't posted since the top of the second page. The last 5 have basically been people repeating and agreeing with the same reasons from the first two pages. :p

yeah, trolls just set the fire and run away... COWARDS!
Obviously intimidated by our superior mental prowess. :)

pffft,

on all his posts he stated that he wanted to be hated and flamed.

wait was it way around?

Back