Release Updated Arch Linux Image Released

good point, Esn... will be testing this as SOON as I get the boot.txt file extracted (somehow it didn't get extracted on my first try)...

This is a thread in the news section to announce the new version. Why should the existing thread be moved to the beta forum instead?

Sorry, I meant to say "news forum", not "beta forum". I kinda get the two mixed up, because most of the software news actually happens on the beta forum.

I just figured that you'd prefer discussion to be in one place, rather than two, so that it's easier to keep track of. I guess if you want that, you could just edit your first post to say "please post your impressions in the other thread"...

Thanks wejp. Can you also update the link in the first post of your other thread, I actually missed this post and was trying to get your march image working (which didn't even load the kernel).

Edit: I can't get the latest image working either. I get "Failed to mount ext2 file system..."

I've wiped the SD multiple times, formatted ext2 and ext3, changed permissions of the SD.

@ quartercast:

The method I ended up using worked for me just fine... I decided to go this way because the card I was extracting to was getting old (got i/o errors later and ended up buying a new card)... I decompressed on my actual computer to a folder I made then copied it all over to the SD card as root (used emelfm2)... popped the SD card in my Pandora and it worked perfectly! Try that and see what happens.

Hmmm, nup didn't work for me.

Code:
Loading file "boot.txt" from mmc1 device 0:2 (xxa2)
145 bytes read
## Executing plain script at 82000000
Loading file "/boot/uImage" from mmc device 0:1 (xxa1)
Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...
** Bad ext2 partition or disk - mmc 0:1 **
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
script finished.

Whew, I typed that in by hand :) Interesting error, why is it reading boot.txt and uImage from different mmc devices? Is it that firmware bug again?

Edit: @ CPU, this is different from your error.

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
Code:
loading file "boot.txt" from mmc1 device 0:1 (xxa1)
0 bytes read
## Executing plain script at 82000000
script failed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I got it working with another SD card. I wonder if it had anything to do with the first card I tried reporting to be /dev/sdb2 (didn't work) and the other /dev/sdb1 (this one did work).

I formatted both cards exactly the same way with sudo mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb -L ARCH

How to get wifi working? And also is there any way to change left/right click to the shoulder buttons? The nubs don't work on mine anymore.

Edit: ah, I see the gaming buttons also do mouseclicks

for wifi:
Hit the Pandora button, scroll to "internet", then "wicd" and hit enter (or use mouse to navigate and click)... just that simple.

glad you're up and running, quartercast... I'm tweaking this thing as much as I can... if you're interested in using AUR:
- use pacman to install your fav browser as well as the package 'git'
- navigate to the Arch Linux AUR page
- search for 'packer' (granted yaort probably works too, but not really a fan of it)
- download the PKGBUILD to a custom folder
- open a terminal and navigate to the folder you downloaded the PKGBUILD to
- enter [ makepkg ] without brackets and hit enter
- check that the arch= line in the PKGBUILD either has 'any' or 'arm' as a parameter
- build package
- install with [ pacman -U *xz ] as root (or install sudo and edit /etc/sudoers according to the Arch Linux wiki page for sudo) and from that point on, use packer to install from the standard repos AND the AUR!

NOTE: When installing from AUR, make sure to check all PKGBUILDs to see if they have 'any' as a parameter in arch=... if they don't, add 'arm' to that list then continue the build. I prefer nano as my editor, vi is the standard. Check the sudo archwiki page for instructions on how to switch to your fav terminal-based editor. :)

Thanks CPU.

1) OK now I can connect to my wifi but can't update pacman database. On ethernet it updates and installs packages fine.

2) What browser are you using? I tried installing firefox but it fails to download xulrunner dependency from plugapps. I successfully installed Epiphany but it doesn't run due to a missing lib (missing libicui18n.so). Midori gives me the same error.

Edit: seems libwebkit was built with libicu version 4.6, but icu 4.8 is installed. Tried to solve the problem by symlinking but that didn't work.

I think there was a newer version of webkit released in the ARM repo... I know I updated webkit on either my laptop or my pandora today... forget which atm. Hmm... not sure why you're having the issues you are, as far as wifi goes, did you properly configure wicd for your network? Mine seems to be connecting just fine... actually installing cairo-dock and it's plugins & themes via AUR on my Pandora as I type this on my laptop... The browser I'm currently using is xxxterm (built via AUR), but I initially used midori and luakit from the standard ARM repos. well either standard or wejp's local repos (I recall when doing a 'packer -Syu' command that one of the repos was named wejp)...

You may be able to grab a newer webkit by going to the plugapps repo directly and downloading via your laptop/desktop then copying it over to the SD card that Arch is on for your Pandora, popping it back in the Pandora and installing it directly ( with 'sudo pacman -U *xz' or su followed by 'pacman -U *xz')... let us know what happens...

As far as issues go that I have run into... battery is not properly detected (I have a battery screenlet running and it's telling me there is no batter) and bluetooth is not detected (ran gnome-bluetooth-applet and got the same response... no bluetooth detected).... Wifi works, but indicator light doesn't... wondering who we should contact @ OPT to find out what modules/libs are missing or whatever...

Have you got a link for the webkit update? I've had a brief look on the plugapps dir listing but can't seem to find it there.

Well I've got netsurf up and running, which doesn't appear to use webkit so I'm safe there :) Trying out your AUR instructions above...

hmm... maybe it was the laptop and not the Pandora that I updated webkit on... not sure why you are having the issues that you are, as it all ran seemlessly for me... I'm getting better at tracking my process as I work, but I still have a LOT farther to go... I could probably offer help if you uploaded a .xz or .bz2 of your SD card and inboxed me the link so I could test it on my own Pandora... wouldn't hurt to try. :)

quartercast!!!

figured out the issue! the version of icu isn't compatible... I updated last night and lost functionality of xxxterm and luakit... I can inbox you a copy of the package so you can downgrade...

Apparently webkit has been updated (1.4.1), I may not need to downgrade after all :)

Yep I'm right, packer -Syu does the trick!

quartercast:

will have to update when I get home... was just playing around and froze it... kinda... :p

I think acpi, acpid, dbus, and a couple of others who's names I can't remember (will post later) could be the issue as far as mounting goes... not sure, but eliminating all the non-kernel possibilities... USB doesn't seem to mount either... added udisksvm from AUR (use it on my laptop and desktop with standalone compiz) and testing everything I can to figure this out... would love to know what bluetooth module is in this thing that can't be detected by default in Linux... sounds like more proprietary hardware, which is DEFINITELY not cool...

Back