Beta Updated Wifi Driver

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
There has been some upstream activity, so we now have a few bugfixes to our wifi driver. This has motivated me to look at similar wl1271 driver (ours is wl1251) and backport some minor fixes from there too.

Get it here, install with "opkg install wl*.ipk":
http://notaz.gp2x.de/tmp/wl1251-modules_1.0-r20.5_omap3-pandora.ipk
(or wait for next HF beta)

It seems to have fixed reconnection bug, basically you no longer need to toggle wifi to reconnect. NetworkManager might even reconnect on spurious disconnects, but I wasn't able to test that as my connection almost never drops.
It doesn't seem to have any effect on speed problems though.

Give it some testing and report here.

looks at least as good as the old one. I get plenty of rare events with link quality about 27/70, but still connected at the end of the garden. No auto-re connect if I walk out of range and back, but does connect when I ask it to, without disabling first. It still increments the PHY it uses when disabled/re-enabled so the LED does not come back on.
Do you want the rare event log?

p.s. thanks!

Trying it out. So far so good. I was able to manually disconnect and reconnect without toggling Wifi.
And (so far) it hasn't dropped my connection.

Got this when installing:
Installing wl1251-modules (1.0-r20.5) to root...
System startup links for /etc/init.d/wl1251-init already exist.
Restarting WL1251 MAC80211 Wireless LAN driver: wl1251insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/rfkill/rfkill_backport.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/compat/compat.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/compat/compat_firmware_class.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/kernel/crypto/arc4.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_tkip.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_wep.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_ccmp.ko': -1 File exists
Configuring wl1251-modules.

This is what I get when I try a second install but the first time also said something similar, if not the same. As you said it still is disappointingly slow and as for the disconnects, I'll have to try tomorrow since it takes a while to disconnect and I want to go to sleep.

Before I go, I checked the dmesg and it was littered by not-so-rare "rare events" and the pandora struggling to keep the connection but connection seems stable in the 7 minutes I've tried.

Good Night (for GMT +1 people, that is).

another lesson learned. sudo means super-user ^^

automatical reconnect --> works fine for me now.
takes 3 up to 10 seconds after reboot from low-power mode till im back on my WPA2-WLAN.

thx notaz
more testing tomorrow. now sleep. n8

PS: just to be sure. can i check somewhere if the package was installed correctly?

Blue Ion said:
This is what I get when I try a second install but the first time also said something similar, if not the same.
This is (I think) normal, and a result of running the enabling script at the end of the install. You see the same if you do sudo /etc/init.d/wl... start.

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
There has been some upstream activity, so we now have a few bugfixes to our wifi driver. This has motivated me to look at similar wl1271 driver (ours is wl1251) and backport some minor fixes from there too.

Are these changes pushed into the kernel sources?

Don't know what's different, but the old driver used to give me fluctuating connections between 1Mbit and 12Mbit, while this one gives me fluctuating connections between 1Mbit and 24Mbit. Usually only 1Mbit still, though.
Disconnect/reconnect definitely works now, though.

javaJake said:
notaz said:

Are these changes pushed into the kernel sources?
Well to the wifi driver sources (that live in a different repo to the kernel), but still yeah: http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pandora-wifi.git;a=summary

Restarting WL1251 MAC80211 Wireless LAN driver: wl1251insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/rfkill/rfkill_backport.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/compat/compat.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/compat/compat_firmware_class.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/kernel/crypto/arc4.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_tkip.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_wep.ko': -1 File exists
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/updates/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_ccmp.ko': -1 File exists

got this error too, ran with sudo, so i dont know why, does dpkg have a force command?
I didnt get the configuring part though, i tried running with --force-overwrite, didnt help :/

Edit: how dumb of me, just notices its insmod, not the writing of the files thats failing, gee! :p

tsh said:
Do you want the rare event log?
Yeah it would be useful.

tsh said:
Blue Ion said:
This is what I get when I try a second install but the first time also said something similar, if not the same.
This is (I think) normal, and a result of running the enabling script at the end of the install. You see the same if you do sudo /etc/init.d/wl... start.
Yes, you might just need to run the init script with stop/start to reload the driver, or toggle wifi from system menu.

Blue Ion said:
Before I go, I checked the dmesg and it was littered by not-so-rare "rare events" and the pandora struggling to keep the connection but connection seems stable in the 7 minutes I've tried.
Your log would be useful too. I don't get those rare events at all, that's why I added that log, to see what others get.

Hitnrun said:
I got this insmod error too, just rebooting is the right thing to do?
reboot, or run init script with start/stop, or start/stop wifi from system menu (not NetworkManager).

GizmoTheGreen said:

got this error too, ran with sudo, so i dont know why, does dpkg have a force command?
I didnt get the configuring part though, i tried running with --force-overwrite, didnt help :/

Edit: how dumb of me, just notices its insmod, not the writing of the files thats failing, gee! :p
insmod is the command to load modules... And it say that this modules (drivers) is already loaded. Which mean that it didn't loaded the new version and that the old are still in use.

You could go the painfull way using rmmod like :
Code:
rmmod rfkill_backport
rmmod arc4
2 warnings : I didn't tested this on a pandora, and there is a dependency system within the kernel modules. rmmod don't handle recursion, so you'll need to find the right order...

The easy way is the same as in windows : reboot after install :D

EDIT ninja'd 2 times :ph34r:

notaz said:
It seems to have fixed reconnection bug, basically you no longer need to toggle wifi to reconnect.

w00t! Notaz, you are making people happier and happier day by day! :D

shodan said:

You learned your lesson wrong. su means super-user; sudo means "do as super-user."

-God Ginrai

thanks notaz, my wifi connection works much better now using those drivers. i still have disconnections but it reconnects itself after few seconds so it's much better than before :D.

God Ginrai said:
shodan said:

You learned your lesson wrong. su means super-user; sudo means "do as super-user."

No, you're both wrong. su means switch user, with the default case being to root. sudo means do as another user, with the default being do as root.

Read the man-pages.

meaning if I had used "su opkg install wl*.ipk" it would have worked too?
good to know (first time terminal-user here)

Back