Beta Updated Wifi Driver

Thanks Notaz, this fixed a lot of my wifi issues. I am still getting less than 500kbs, but at least now I can connect consistently.

One question/issue: My Pandora keeps wanting to connect to another network in my building. One I have never connected to and don't have the password for. Is there a file I can edit to make it stop trying, or something I can do? I can't find a setting anywhere.

Thanks. B

Edit: Sorry to say this guys, but I am pretty sure the speed issue is still hardware, not software.

BackAssward said:
One question/issue: My Pandora keeps wanting to connect to another network in my building. One I have never connected to and don't have the password for. Is there a file I can edit to make it stop trying, or something I can do? I can't find a setting anywhere.
Right-click, select "Edit Connections..." and delete it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neko said:
BackAssward said:
Right-click, select "Edit Connections..." and delete it.

Thank you kindly for the response, exactly what I needed to know. Given the default button setup, I may have to explore an alternative (right and/or left click don't seem natural or always effective out of the box).

Thanks again.

Alerino said:
Blue Ion said:
Aren't those to be only the first 200 or so?

nah, i think MWeston had to fix 700 by hand, so i suppose there still isn't a transistor-fixed-less board out there

It was only the first batch.

BackAssward said:
Thanks Notaz, this fixed a lot of my wifi issues. I am still getting less than 500kbs, but at least now I can connect consistently.
(...)
Edit: Sorry to say this guys, but I am pretty sure the speed issue is still hardware, not software.
There are some users that do get something like 1MB/s download speeds. Though many users just get well below 200KB/s (yeah, talking 'Byte', not 'bit'). Have a look at this bug tracker entry for some information:
http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=140&project=1&order=id&sort=desc
In general it looks like it depends on the access points used. In the meantime I updated the firmware of my router and had the board in the pandora replaced (one nub was borked), this changed nothing in regards to the wifi speed. Yes, it is most likely a matter of the driver, not the hardware, if some accesspoints are rather fast and others damn slow.

I consider myself to have a quality router, i had experienced disconnects when running games. With the this latest driver I have yet to see a disconnect.

Netgear 834G v3, WPA encryption. Old driver dropped out lots, new driver connects, but doesn't seem to get dns lookup - so no useful data. Nothing interesting in dmesg.
Edit: and a day later it connects fine, so who knows. The router was working, my phone connected to it with no problems.

With the stock driver I get very slow and inconsistent speeds (going between 0-40kb/s) and disconnections sometimes. Installed this now - will let you know how it goes.
Edit: This driver doesn't help the speed issue, however, either "iwconfig wlan0 power off" or "iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M fixed" help a great deal (it increased my average speed to >100kb/s), is it possible to make those settings the default so I don't have to run the commands all the time?

Ivanovic said:
BackAssward said:
(...)
There are some users that do get something like 1MB/s download speeds. Though many users just get well below 200KB/s (yeah, talking 'Byte', not 'bit'). Have a look at this bug tracker entry for some information:
http://bugs.openpand...er=id&sort=desc
In general it looks like it depends on the access points used. In the meantime I updated the firmware of my router and had the board in the pandora replaced (one nub was borked), this changed nothing in regards to the wifi speed. Yes, it is most likely a matter of the driver, not the hardware, if some accesspoints are rather fast and others damn slow.

On the other hand, some people have boards with the correct resistor and some have one that has been modified. Not having looked inside mine, I have no idea which I have. Oh, and I used the lowercase b since I was talking bits not bytes, in my speed tests. As for my access point, it is quite good (WRTSL54GS) and I use the high quality 'dd-wrt' firmware (plus no speed issues with other machines connected to it).

BackAssward said:
Ivanovic said:
BackAssward said:
(...)
http://bugs.openpand...er=id&sort=desc

On the other hand, some people have boards with the correct resistor and some have one that has been modified. Not having looked inside mine, I have no idea which I have. Oh, and I used the lowercase b since I was talking bits not bytes, in my speed tests. As for my access point, it is quite good (WRTSL54GS) and I use the high quality 'dd-wrt' firmware (plus no speed issues with other machines connected to it).
I opened mine to blow some compressed air on a gritty nub (which worked great), but it didn't cross my mind to check if I had 1 or 2 resistors. I didn't notice any piggyback resistors anywhere but I didn't really notice any resistors either, I didn't think about it. It shouldn't really make a difference though since 2 wrongs in this case do make a right :p

My wifi speed never went above 100kb/s on the pandora, and only went that high with the "iwconfig wlan0 power off" and "iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M fixed" tweaks, without them I got around 30kb/s. It's usable for web browsing and chatting but not much else. I want to use Transmission to download torrents on my Pandora but that's probably not even worth trying until the wifi works properly.

I do have a Linksys WRT54GL router with DD-WRT on it - I might hook that up and give it a shot on the Pandora, if it works well I'll just use that router for the Pandora and the 802.11n router for everything else - but that will only fix the wifi at home, and at home I can just use wifi on my PC anyway, away from home is where wifi reliability and speed really matters, since I want to use the Pandora instead of a laptop when I'm away from home :)

BackAssward said:
On the other hand, some people have boards with the correct resistor and some have one that has been modified.
I'm pretty sure that they're all the same, actually. It's just that MWeston added it to the ones that were already at the village hall, whilst someone at a factory did the same thing for the rest before shipping.

The link seems to be broken. Could someone upload it again please?

Shouldn't it be included in the firmware after a successful betatest? I don't see the point in putting it on Pandora Apps, tbh.

joseluisjazz said:
here you go:

wl1251-modules_1.0-r20.5_omap3-pandora.ipk. Will be there at least until notaz fixes the link.
Thanks, fixed. I did not have any backups of that file because they are simply not needed when there is source.

mali said:
Shouldn't it be included in the firmware after a successful betatest? I don't see the point in putting it on Pandora Apps, tbh.
Yeah it's already set to be included in the next hotfix/HF beta/firmware build.

Beside the very slow speed, I am unable to download files, they either get stuck while downloading or they are corrupted if the download completes. I've got a 5 Mb connection with a Belkin F5D7232-4 router if that helps...

Back