USB Mobile Broadband

Jexah

Still Fresh
I have already purchased my Pandora (Batch 2) and am hoping to see it by late November, and was wondering if it is/could be compatible with USB modems that connect to a mobile Internet provider. As I do not own a mobile phone that provides mobile Internet access, this would be the only way for me to access a mobile Internet network.

Thanks for your time :)

FIRST!!!

ok anyways....dont expect your pandora to arrive this year

The USB compatibility list on the wiki lists a few that are known to work, and how you must connect them to the Pandora (long story short, the Pandora's USB port is USB 2.0 High Speed *only*, and requires a USB 2.0 High Speed hub in order to use some items - there's a full explanation here).

Obviously, the pocket 3G/HSDPA "MiFi" routers work, too. I recently bought one of those specifically for use with my Pandora, and it works very nicely indeed.

Thanks a tonne! Mind if I ask which service provider you use?

No problem, glad to be of assistance. :)

As for the service provider question, that might not be too useful depending on your location. :lol: Anyway, I'm with 3 (for those outside of the UK, 3 is a cellular provider with a focus on mobile internet), as they're the only ones who currently carry the MiFi setup. I get 3G speeds mostly, but the router can handle HSDPA, too, when and where it's available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'm in Australia, and 3 is known here, but I also live in Canberra, and their mobile broadband service doesn't appear to cover Canberra. D:

The only other option as far as I know is Telstra. =\

I'm looking at the Huawei E160 at the moment, I'll see if I can find a list of compatible service providers.

Any other possibly useful information would be appreciated. :D

No problem, glad to be of assistance. :)

As for the service provider question, that might not be too useful depending on your location. :lol: Anyway, I'm with 3 (for those outside of the UK, 3 is a cellular provider with a focus on mobile internet), as they're the only ones who currently carry the MiFi setup. I get 3G speeds mostly, but the router can handle HSDPA, too, when and where it's available.

Prometheus!! I have a 3 mifi usb modem as well but when i plug it in, nothing happens!? So i can't actually get it to work. Could you give me some guidence on how to get it up and running! Thanks in advance.

Prometheus!! I have a 3 mifi usb modem as well but when i plug it in, nothing happens!? So i can't actually get it to work. Could you give me some guidence on how to get it up and running! Thanks in advance.
You need to access it via the Pandora's WiFi - you shouldn't need to plug it in. The default out-of-the-box SSID and WPA2 Personal key should be on a little card that came in the box, and also printed inside the battery cover.

I'm hoping to use my phone for 3G internet over usb using wvdial.

On my laptop this works awesome.

However, I couldn't not find wvdial available for Angstrom.

Is anyone working on this?

You need to access it via the Pandora's WiFi - you shouldn't need to plug it in. The default out-of-the-box SSID and WPA2 Personal key should be on a little card that came in the box, and also printed inside the battery cover.

Cheers for replying prometheus. I had a bloody good go but no luck. =( never mind. Ill keep trying and see what happens.

^ I just followed the quick-start cards provided in the box. Three provide some pretty extensive documentation, I was really impressed with how thorough it was (and how useful it was that it was printed on wallet-sized cards).

^ I just followed the quick-start cards provided in the box. Three provide some pretty extensive documentation, I was really impressed with how thorough it was (and how useful it was that it was printed on wallet-sized cards).

Hmm. it connects up to my pc fine. but it had to plug it in. maybe its different to yours i guess.

If it's a "MiFi" unit, it's supposed to be used wirelessly, as that's the whole point of it (unless you're in an area with an exceptionally poor signal, in which case they provide a short USB cable that I gather is meant to act as an extended antenna of sorts). :blink: I don't suppose you could provide a picture, please?

If it's a "MiFi" unit, it's supposed to be used wirelessly, as that's the whole point of it (unless you're in an area with an exceptionally poor signal, in which case they provide a short USB cable that I gather is meant to act as an extended antenna of sorts). :blink: I don't suppose you could provide a picture, please?
Yeaa, sure.

Mifi.jpg

That's a Huawei E220 - it's not a "MiFi" device, it's a USB dongle. ;) You'll need to connect it to your Pandora with a USB 2.0 High Speed hub, because it's a USB 1.1 device.

It's outside of my knowledge (I went with a "MiFi" specifically to avoid dealing with setting up a USB device like this), but this thread from here and this thread from the other forum may be worth checking and/or posting to.

That's a Huawei E220 - it's not a "MiFi" device, it's a USB dongle. ;) You'll need to connect it to your Pandora with a USB 2.0 High Speed hub, because it's a USB 1.1 device.

It's outside of my knowledge (I went with a "MiFi" specifically to avoid dealing with setting up a USB device like this), but this thread from here and this thread from the other forum may be worth checking and/or posting to.

Ahhh, that would explain the situation then. I've been searching for a battery powered hub but all i can find are ac power adapted ones.

Thank you for all the help. i'm gettin' somewhere now lol.

^ It may work with an unpowered USB 2.0 High Speed hub. If you have one, reboot the Pandora and try it - it's unlikely to do any harm. :)

Ah thats what it is. I was scratching about the net for 3 Mi-Fi products for awhile and drew a blank. Hopefully you can get it sorted via the other threads, but I presume that makes it like a 3g USB stick so I'll add this then incase it helps.

Heh, searching for this on google ofcourse I found my own post ;)

So, I now have a Pandora and found wvdial is apparently in Ångström, however when I connect (which I have to do as root apparently) I get:

wvdial: utils/wvtask.cc:202: WvTaskMan::WvTaskMan(): Assertion 'getcontext(&get_stack_return) == 0' failed.

Aborted

I was using the same configuration that works fine on my laptop.

However it seems that wvdial on ARM doesn't read the configuration correctly, as found on google.

Back