Usb Tv Tuner For Pandora

jocejrod

looking at something like this i have a tv cable running behind my bed, and want that attatched to it for to plug into my pandora whenever i want to watch tv. just wondering if the pandora can run it, to know if i should buy it or not (the tuner, already bought my pandora)

I have the Pinnacle nanostick, it works good on linux 2.6.27 or newer, it's small and cheap :)

That's a cool idea actually. I had a TV tuner for my GBA, but digital TV on Pandora's much larger and higher resolution screen sounds much better.

I was hoping to be able to use tvcatchup.com to watch live tv on the pandora, but I think it uses flash and I know there are issues there, be nice to get that though

I watch the mobile one at iPhone.tvcatchup.com on my phone and it's perfect, on wifi it runs fine with no lag while it loads or anything

I had a tv tuner on my sega gamegear, but it was pony, really bad from what I remember, and I think that was back in the day when we only had 4 channels :)

Exophase said:
That's a cool idea actually. I had a TV tuner for my GBA, but digital TV on Pandora's much larger and higher resolution screen sounds much better.
This.

Although I never picked up the GBA TV tuner myself, or the earlier Game Gear one (since it was quite pricey back in the day, if I remember correctly).

I'm waiting on hearing which TV tuners work well - I do have one that's supposed to work with Linux, but it's just been a complete nightmare (there are apparently sticks with two different chipsets in them sold under the same SKU, and I was unlucky and got the one that's a pain :p). I will test it on my Pandora, though, just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only real concern I have here is that the minimum hardware requirements are way beyond what the Pandora can keep up with. I fear these little USB solutions offload as much as possible to the CPU in order to be this cheap and small :/

Exophase said:
Only real concern I have here is that the minimum hardware requirements are way beyond what the Pandora can keep up with. I fear these little USB solutions offload as much as possible to the CPU in order to be this cheap and small :/
IIRC (ATSC) digital TV is just MPEG-2, so as long as the CPU can handle decoding and downscaling a 1080p MPEG-2 file, it should work. I guess with a codec for the DSP it should certainly be possible, if h.264 is, but right now DSP codecs don't seem to be supported...

Tom` said:
IIRC (ATSC) digital TV is just MPEG-2, so as long as the CPU can handle decoding and downscaling a 1080p MPEG-2 file, it should work. I guess with a codec for the DSP it should certainly be possible, if h.264 is, but right now DSP codecs don't seem to be supported...

There's got to be more to it than that or 1.6GHz Core 2 or so wouldn't be required by some. Or they're just making that number up.

Exophase said:
Tom` said:

There's got to be more to it than that or 1.6GHz Core 2 or so wouldn't be required by some. Or they're just making that number up.
Checking Wikipedia, apparently h.264 is possible as well - I don't know how widely used it is, though. At any rate, I used to be able to watch full-resolution HDTV on a 2.66 GHz P4 (admittedly with little power to spare, but there were other issues), and the same machine couldn't play HD-resolution h.264 well at all. Of course, not all digital broadcasts are at HD resolutions, either.

What resolution is the HDTV in your area Tom (and anyone else who cares to answer)? We have "HD" broadcast in Aus but it's not 1080p, and according to an article I read it never will be with the current technology/codecs they're using.

(Point being, decoding a HDTV signal may be far less work than thought, depending on region and a billion other variables. I'm not an expert on the topic though.)

Gruso said:
What resolution is the HDTV in your area Tom (and anyone else who cares to answer)? We have "HD" broadcast in Aus but it's not 1080p, and according to an article I read it never will be with the current technology/codecs they're using.

(Point being, decoding a HDTV signal may be far less work than thought, depending on region and a billion other variables. I'm not an expert on the topic though.)
It depends on the broadcast - each station gets the same amount of bandwidth, but they divide it up differently. Most of the recordings I have right now are standard-definition shows, but I have some in 720p as well. I don't think there's anything preventing 1080p broadcasts except that they're wasteful of the station's bandwidth, though.

Exophase said:
Tom` said:

those values of processor are only required if you want to record the stream IIRC.

i used to work with a MSI and Kworld retailer.

most of the users had no issues with the usb devices while they didnt do any pip or live media recording (and or) playback.
(i only had problems with one customer that tried to use the unit in a USB 1.0 computer).

DroneB Dev said:
those values of processor are only required if you want to record the stream IIRC.

i used to work with a MSI and Kworld retailer.

most of the users had no issues with the usb devices while they didnt do any pip or live media recording (and or) playback.
(i only had problems with one customer that tried to use the unit in a USB 1.0 computer).

Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

Guys ,if we can get flash working then this site would give us great live tv 24/7 much the same channels as a digital box ,i user this on my ps3 and also my psp via remote play for portable tv.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/tv_channel_streams.asp

dont know if it helps but the asus my cinema u3100 mini comes with linux drivers out of the box, worked fine on my eeepc 901 ( although that was obviously wintel)

fragglerok said:
dont know if it helps but the asus my cinema u3100 mini comes with linux drivers out of the box, worked fine on my eeepc 901 ( although that was obviously wintel)
Binary blob or source available?
And even if the source is available, doesn't guarantee it can be rebuilt for ARM, don't forget.
But that is a lot better than most devices. I will have to investigate. Thanks! :)

WizardStan said:
fragglerok said:
Binary blob or source available?
And even if the source is available, doesn't guarantee it can be rebuilt for ARM, don't forget.
But that is a lot better than most devices. I will have to investigate. Thanks! :)
Just found this in the asus website http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=My Cinema-U3100Mini/DVBT&SLanguage=en-us

"Description My Cinema-U3100Mini/DVBT source code of the player under Linux
Support Xandros only."

"My Cinema-U3100Mini/DVBT source code of Linux driver
Support Xandros only. "

EDIT: Link won't paste properly :angry: cuts it short

I started a similar thread to this and the summary for it was:

Bad Idea

WHY?
  • USB->video out uses CPU not GPU (which means less power for other tasks= say goodbye to multitasking)
  • CPU video is INFERIOR to a GPU which is dedicated (so you will get low fps with low pixels with a USB)
  • And even if you said "what the hell, try it" ... DRIVER SUPPORT will not be there so it is impossible w/o a coder
  • Plus, everyone would need to buy that device adding more costs

:ph34r: 'd

Back