Usb Wifi 'dongle' Compatible With Both Pandora And Caanoo?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I've not looked into this side of the Caanoo at all yet, nor have I kept track of which usb wifi drivers (if any) we're including in the standard Pandora firmware. Not enough time in the day to keep track of everything, and I thought maybe some industrious person here has already done the sorting :)

Question: Anyone figured out which usb wifi nub is ..
- compatible with both Caanoo and Pandora standard firmwares (ideally, though we could build drivers for both)
- teeny tiny size
- teeny tiny price (ideally :)

Anyone?

jeff

(Yes, I know Pandora has wifi; mine only sometimes does, don't lets go there.)

it's also only g class wifi, and I, personally, prefer having N class... so there's yet another reason to ask said questions above...

Mofokubik said:
I bought this:

D-Link DWA-131 Wireless-N Nano USB Adapter

it's pretty awesome on my netbook but I have no idea how to get it working in linux on pandora. It seems that no matter what I plug in to usb, I just get nothing. Flash drives work though, that's how I know the usb is "ok"

Have you tried the adapter via a Hub? Unless a device is USB2 Hi Speed it must be used with a USB hub for it to work with Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably no driver for it yet (though didn't look into it.) Those newer D-link guys tend to have screwy drivers, and people tend to use NDIS-wrapper on an x86 box, but we can't get away with that on an ARM box. (NDIS-wrapper uses the Windows drivers under linux.)

jeff

skeezix said:
Probably no driver for it yet (though didn't look into it.) Those newer D-link guys tend to have screwy drivers, and people tend to use NDIS-wrapper on an x86 box, but we can't get away with that on an ARM box. (NDIS-wrapper uses the Windows drivers under linux.)

jeff

What about the ones OPT had sourced when we had the wifi driver problems. Did they actually buy them and would be nice if they sold them. If not maybe they could point us to reseller. I believe Ed even did a video of it.

Mr Loon said:
Mofokubik said:
I bought this:

it's pretty awesome on my netbook but I have no idea how to get it working in linux on pandora. It seems that no matter what I plug in to usb, I just get nothing. Flash drives work though, that's how I know the usb is "ok"

Have you tried the adapter via a Hub? Unless a device is USB2 Hi Speed it must be used with a USB hub for it to work with Pandora.
I doubt that's gonna be a problem on any recent wifi dongle, it would cripple the speed if they made it USB 1.1.

As for finding one that works well on the Pandora I'd look around for suitable dongles online and check out what chipset they have and whether said chipset works properly on desktop linux (without NDISWrapper). Atheros chipsets seem to work fine on desktop linux (they've all worked out of the box on Ubuntu, at least - tried several different ones), the Broadcom card on my laptop worked but required me to install proprietary drivers (though they were open source and available from Broadcom's website, so shouldn't be a problem to get working on the Pandora)

skeezix said:
I've not looked into this side of the Caanoo at all yet, nor have I kept track of which usb wifi drivers (if any) we're including in the standard Pandora firmware.
There are basically none shipped with pandora at the moment.

notaz said:
skeezix said:
I've not looked into this side of the Caanoo at all yet, nor have I kept track of which usb wifi drivers (if any) we're including in the standard Pandora firmware.
They should implement some "3rd party drivers" thing like Ubuntu has, so you can download the drivers there. It would have to have drivers for all kinds of USB stuff though, except for really obscure old stuff. Like check that it has drivers for everything on www.dealextreme.com for example, lots of cheap chinese stuff with generic drivers.
edit: There's usually some product name or driver link in the product discussion if there isn't one in the item. Well if it's popular anyway, but if it's not popular then don't worry about it. Probably doesn't work properly anyway.

Mofokubik said:
I bought this:

Did you try dmesg to see if it's recognized?

notaz said:
skeezix said:

yeah, kind of figured, but not had a chance to touch my panda in a few days and my remote dev board is unhooked right now :)

Hmm, wish I could borrow a couple from the stores and see which work after building modules, before committing :)

jeff

skeezix said:
yeah, kind of figured, but not had a chance to touch my panda in a few days and my remote dev board is unhooked right now :)

Hmm, wish I could borrow a couple from the stores and see which work after building modules, before committing :)

jeff

i have one of these im more than happy to test. it's the smallest i could find.
it shows up right at the very end of dmesg stating its 802.11n wlan adaptor from realtek, so it could be a goer? (not the cheapest though)

I also have one of these, shows up as a ralink 802.11n device in dmesg. this cost me £6.99

Jeff

I am currently trying to get this USB dongle working on the Pandora. ASUS provide source code drivers so it's possible, but I'm running short on time (and compiling from source is not exactly one of my specialties) :(

If I don't manage to get it working before my Pandora has to leave for its new home I'd be more than happy to send it in your direction to have a look at.

keep us posted on those last couple of entries... I have a micro adaptor that I'm soon to test to see if it works on Linux in general and will probably post my findings (if positive) here for further analysis...

I tried to get the Linksys WUSB54GC working. I managed to compile/install the rt73 driver, but dmesg shows an error when I plug it in. ("rt73: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module")

I think this means I compiled it for a different kernel than I'm running, but I'm sure I compiled it for the right kernel. (I got the kernel source from running git clone git://git.openpandora.org/pandora-kernel.git kernel, and I compiled it right on the Pandora.)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48166

This adapter looks really nice for the Pandora. It should be barely noticeable at all when plugged in and has has wireless N support. It's a realtek RTL8188CUS chipset which has open source linux drivers, so it should be workable.

Elanzer said:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48166

This adapter looks really nice for the Pandora. It should be barely noticeable at all when plugged in and has has wireless N support. It's a realtek RTL8188CUS chipset which has open source linux drivers, so it should be workable.

I ordered one of those and I should get it pretty soon. Once I get a Pandora I will definitely add it to the USB wiki page.
I also have a number of other USB deceive I need to test.

Has ANYBODY managed to compile ANY drivers for WiFi dongles? I know none are included in the standard firmware

I just received the wifi adapter from dealextreme. It's tiny !

As I said I don't have a Pandora and won't have much use for the adapter right now. (beside it's cool factor !)

If somebody wants to make sure it work on an actual Pandora I guess I could lend it to them. I can ship it to Europe no problem. Just PM me :)

Back