Usb Working !!!! On Gp32linux :)

usb.png

well, i will make me this tomorrow and hope that the 9v battery can provide enugh power

would this wiring be able to be done inside the gp32 and just have a powered USB female port in the units body?
wherre would the 9v be attached?
and this wont mess up my ability to send files over the usb from my comp?

~Octavious

no, i dont think it will fit inside the gp, i would use 2xfemale usb plug so you can plug in your normal usb gp cable without destroying it and put the device in the other port. for the 9v i would use either a standart 9v batetry or 6 normal batterys if the 9v batetry will not give enugh ma.
maybe you can also use 4 normal rechargeables(4,8v) without any voltage converter, someone have to try.

OmarNawaz posted on Sep 3 2004 at 12:34 AM said:
Hmmm can some one help me out ( i know you must be getting tired of our whineing)

Anyway i want to make a webcam for the gp32 and in order to support my webcam i need to incorporate the correct drivers they are compatible with kernels 2.4.x is the gp32 linux hacked in some way that would amke it incompatible?

The drivers ar not my only problem i need something that actually acesses and captures from the webcam so does gp32 linux have the correct api's to do this so i can just put in somethin like camorama which has some arm releases?

because if i have to put in something like video4linux i am going to have alot of trouble because patches are practically non-existent for a kernel this old, thats how i have been advised anyway. :blink:

I know i must sound kinda of dumb it is because i am with all this linux stuff but hey if you guys can get it working aswell as taking care of your other resposibilites why cant a guy like me with alot of free time do it. :huh:

oops forgot some guy was telling me i need a fairly up to date version of gcc in order to get this running is it already incorporated or do i need to do some kind of ram upgrade to get all the neccesary libs running.

Thanks

my kernel [link in previous posts ] has webcam drivers build in
[ and other stuff, but i forget to add tcp/ip support, i will add it later, once i got my wifi stick back , maybe this weekend ]
but i dont know if your webcam driver is part of standard included usb webcam drivers
if so
you would just have to add a v4l entry in /dev/ , in the initrd
then you could use some app to capture pics
i had a app working in console mode and capturing jpegs from the webcam
aaah, found it : http://motion.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
yay i know them, they are nice, but the keys are very soft.

oh and can you please make a initrd without chatboard driver but with usb keyboard driver? when i plug my keyboard in it gives the normal ubs init screen )id and stuff) but dosnt seem to add it as a keayboard(cant type)

@toholl or ingeras:

how are you going to nstall linux drivers on gp32linux? is gp32linux aready so far that it can detect new installed drivers!?

ok, heads down! Stupid question by me!

I want to try USB support, too. Already got a powered HUB.

What files do i need? where can i download them?

And how is it with the drivers? lets say I have one for my CD-writer, How would I install it (sorry, first time LINUX user)? And where do i get one for my 128MB USB sticks? there wasn´t a CD delivered with it, I just plugged it into the PC and the drivers insatlled themselves

thanks in advance

Horscht

if we ever get a video signal out of the gp32, this would probably the perfect companion hehe :) albeit a bit expensive

Wolfsclaw posted on Sep 3 2004 at 12:52 PM said:
@toholl or ingeras:

how are you going to nstall linux drivers on gp32linux? is gp32linux aready so far that it can detect new installed drivers!?
Like in linux: drivers are modules which are downloaded on demand by the device insertion.
But this is application stuff, not kernel stuff. I will talk with Ingeras and Cyberic to determine what is the best strategy for users who want to have the particular devices supported by a gplinux distrib.

ingeras posted on Sep 3 2004 at 05:58 AM said:
my kernel [link in previous posts ] has webcam drivers build in
[ and other stuff, but i forget to add tcp/ip support, i will add it later, once i got my wifi stick back , maybe this weekend ]
but i dont know if your webcam driver is part of standard included usb webcam drivers
if so
you would just have to add a v4l entry in /dev/ , in the initrd
then you could use some app to capture pics
i had a app working in console mode and capturing jpegs from the webcam
aaah, found it : http://motion.sourceforge.net/

You rule :rolleyes: this is going to make this alot easier than i thought it will be i gotta go now i am running late i have to get to Reading somehow.

BTW have you got info on the smallest webcam that i supported by linux you know those ity bity ones you see on laptops or notebooks.

Thanks

Horscht posted on Sep 3 2004 at 12:53 PM said:
ok, heads down! Stupid question by me!

I want to try USB support, too. Already got a powered HUB.

What files do i need? where can i download them?

And how is it with the drivers? lets say I have one for my CD-writer, How would I install it (sorry, first time LINUX user)? And where do i get one for my 128MB USB sticks? there wasn´t a CD delivered with it, I just plugged it into the PC and the drivers insatlled themselves

thanks in advance

Horscht
you need zimage and initrd , cf my post with the pics
[ that s why i am always seeking for people to summarise, make a faq from the posts on the forum ... ]
you need a chatboard until someone has time to make a nice interface
and we solve the latest input problems with some graphic servers
the link for the zimage has already the driver build in the kernel
so it s detected once plugged, like on windows or macos X :)

toholl posted on Sep 2 2004 at 11:32 PM said:
usb_alim.jpg

I just used the connector and add 5v on big red and black wires.

thanks for the photo! i will make one that night!

Attachments

• usb_alim.jpg
    usb_alim.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 144
  • usb_alim.jpg
    usb_alim.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 160
  • usb_alim.jpg
    usb_alim.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 145
damn, I just went to our local electronics store (the only one around, stupid wankers, overpriced etc.), and guess what: THEY DIDN`T HAVE A MALE TO MALE ADAPTER

Question is this an A Adapter, or an B Adapter? I found a german based site that sells those things for 45cent (eurocent that is), but the have like six different adapters (and all have the same pic)

Back