Using my TV/Mac as a monitor for my Pandora

Sploshi

Still Fresh
Hi,

I don't actually have my Pandora yet, but it's almost Christmas and my mum is asking me what I want.

I want a way to use my TV and my iMac as monitors for my Pandora. I understand that the TV-out cable will allow me to use my TV as a monitor but is it possible for me to link it to my Apple iMac?

I need to know so that I can get my mum to buy me what I need for Christmas :D

Thanks in advance xD

either tv-out then a tv capture card, like you can use to display consoles output on your pc, or a usb-vga adapter etc, pretty sure i've seen someone that's had one working

You can run a vnc server on the Pandora and connect to it that way. VNC isn't especially fast though, so you wouldn't likely be able to use it to play games or anything like that.

I guess the important question is why do you want to do that? The answer to that question might lead to a way.

Do capture cards have a lag? I set a DVR for my Dad, the elgato or something, but it was USB. He had an iMac also so he couldn't have an add-in pci card or whatever.

If it was the USB that was the lag for my Dad you might want to see if there are firewire ones. At the time whoever I bought my Dad's from had a USB2.0 version and a firewire version but the FW model was like $100 more. Does you iMac have firewire 800?

EDIT: This had to be like 6 or 8 years ago so it might have just been an early iMac compatible video capture device but I think USB2.0 isn't fast enough for video. If you're iMac is new it has FW800, that is definitely the bus you want to use, the USB 2.0 one I got him had horrible lag as I'm sure all USB2.0 video capture devices do. Good to record TV but not good to play games.

Last edited by a moderator:

And the joke is ?

Hi,

I don't actually have my Pandora yet, but it's almost Christmas and my mum is asking me what I want.

I want a way to use my TV and my iMac as monitors for my Pandora. I understand that the TV-out cable will allow me to use my TV as a monitor but is it possible for me to link it to my Apple iMac?

I need to know so that I can get my mum to buy me what I need for Christmas :D

Thanks in advance xD

Hi

No connection to iMac I'm afraid :(

Does MacOS X run an X server, as in could you SSH -x into your pandora over the network and thereby allow it to open windows on the mac? Of course, that depends on a decent wifi connection, and I've not been keeping track of the latest wifi patch. It's one of the more awesome things about Linux/unix. If you've got more than one box on your network, why should you need to move from the machine you're on to use another? Now, if only we can find a way to encode beer using the same protocol ;)

Do capture cards have a lag?

i say yes, hence why i'm going to just buy a small tv and use it for a monitor aswell, but i know peopel that play console games perfectly well just directing the video card input to the output of vlc etc, so it all depends what you're playing, if you're really picky abotu timings on somethign like a rhythm action game, then don't bother, if you can deal with the laggy controllers on most modern consoles then it shoudl be fine, jsut need a decent capture card (usb probably not recommended)

Back