Vba?

I need my Pokemon fix. lol.

You guys should contact ZodTTD who created gpSPhone, a GBA emu for iphone / ipod touch.
Last time I checked the ipod uses arm as well, so porting might be a bit easier with the source code of gpSPhone.

I am playing pokemon on my ipod touch and it is good enough, except that the controls suck, as in you have to remember them.

'fischju2000' said:
What kind of nice filtering for GBA does the Pandora have power for, to make it look better at a playable size?

Why do people try to shoot down the viability of a DS emulator for Pandora based on the screens? If somebody wanted to make one, that would be the least of their problems. They screen resolutions are 256x192, you could double the resolution of one screen (to make it a little smaller than on DS) and 1.5 the other.
yeah do it based on what they think will be enjoyable to play. You are right though. there are plenty of other reasons why it wouldnt be a viable emulator (or at the very least an enjoyable one) but the screen thing is the most obvious. Not because the Pandora has one screen but that if you display both on one screen you either have the swap as suggested before or display them smaller and sideways which makes any game that requires touch screen harder because everything's smaller which effects accuracy, and anygame that uses the Dpad and buttons together awkward. In some cases sure it's still playable, but it's not fun.

The design of the DS in general makes it a difficult emulation even on computers more capable than the pandora, you dont need a search function to see that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have so many GBA games that I want to play.
I'd like a link feature, but it's not vital for me.
One of the biggest reasons for me wanting a Pandora is to play GBA games on.

'Corican' said:
I have to say I don't get this. I've sent my order, so I'm not trolling. If I want to play GBA games, I will play on a GBA. It is smaller, lighter, the battery last plenty long and it works fine. The games themselves are pretty small, so I really don't get it. I get it for PSX games, but to be truthful, those play fine on my PSP. If there wa a reasonable keyboard option for my PSP, I'm not sure I would go for the panda.

'lingenfr' said:
'Corican' said:
I have to say I don't get this. I've sent my order, so I'm not trolling. If I want to play GBA games, I will play on a GBA. It is smaller, lighter, the battery last plenty long and it works fine. The games themselves are pretty small, so I really don't get it. I get it for PSX games, but to be truthful, those play fine on my PSP. If there wa a reasonable keyboard option for my PSP, I'm not sure I would go for the panda.

Well, I've misplaced a whole bunch of my GBA games, so having a virtual GBA that can run pirate copies of those games would be perfect. And if it's part of the Pandora, that's even better, because it does all the other stuff I love, like ssh.

'lingenfr' said:
'Corican' said:

It's more the portability of having one device with many games.
Rather than having to take my library of cartridges out with me. :p

'cbp' said:
I need my Pokemon fix. lol.

You guys should contact ZodTTD who created gpSPhone, a GBA emu for iphone / ipod touch.
Last time I checked the ipod uses arm as well, so porting might be a bit easier with the source code of gpSPhone.

I am playing pokemon on my ipod touch and it is good enough, except that the controls suck, as in you have to remember them.
You're a little off here. I created gpSP and gpSPhone is a port of that to iPhone. There is zero code in there that improves the core emulator for other platforms (unless zodttd has been hiding something from me).

Besides that, gpSP is open source (and so is gpSPhone by requirement, you can go download the source code..) so anyone can port it. On the other hand, the stuff I've been working on with gpSP are not open source and won't be, so if I reach a point where I feel as if I've made a significant enough improvement over the old version then it's on me to port it or delegate it to someone I trust to do so (which would actually be pretty easy).

If you're really impatient for a functioning GBA emulator, you could always go commission the VGBA developer for a port. It works pretty well on the Nokia tablets, might just need a recompile.

If you just want to compile something and try it, you might want to look at mednafen instead of vba, even though it's based on the same code. I'm not sure what was optimized, but mednafen runs much smoother on my computer.

Back