Vba2x-r Updated Again

when your teste game that don't work could it be possible to indicate the goodgba name?

Could you use a different option to exit other than stick click? It ruins the stick and D-pad users can't exit with it.

If you are forever trying to discourage devs to use it, why are you trying to preserve it? My bet is it is like the NAND thing. It will not wear out in the life of the '2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you use a different option to exit other than stick click? It ruins the stick and D-pad users can't exit with it.

If you are forever trying to discourage devs to use it, why are you trying to preserve it? My bet is it is like the NAND thing. It will not wear out in the life of the '2x.
The first thing that breaks is the earphone socket(1st day). I had to solder it back. The next was the stick fell off (after a few months)I had to superglue it back. At the moment there is something rattling in my gp2x. I guess the stick and the nand will be next.

Finn said:
alright.
version q -
metalgunslinger works at about 90 with perfect controls
aria of sorrow does not work.
circle of the moon does not work
harmony of dissonacance does not work.
advance wars does not go past the title screen
klanoa does not work.

what the hell?
what happened to the compatability?
OK had a look and found several places where the ASM could have been wrong. I'll make the changes.
Plounted, can you test it for me since you seem to have several gba roms. please PM me

Tested with GP2x at 250MHz with version q and an selector script (no gmenu)
Azumanga Daioh Advance (J).gba: white screen
zelda minish just quit the emulator
Mario Kart Advance (J) [!].gba: lot of graphics glitch and looping sound
metal slug advance dump 1840 work correctly but sound is buggy
Pokemon Sapphire (U) [!].gba and Pokemon Version Saphir (F).gba work correctly
Super Mario Advance 4 (J).gba work but no sound and realy slow
Golden Sun - L'Age Perdu (F).gba don't work
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (E) [hIR00].gba work but some serious graphics problem in race
Mortal Kombat Advance (E).gba work but no sound 402-562 with GP2x at 250MHz
Pro Tennis WTA Tour (E).gba work with little graphics glitch in the menu
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (U).gba work but realy slowly à 250MHz
dump 1395-Pitfall-L'ExpeditionPerdue.gba work
dump 1406-GuiltyGearX-AdvanceEdition.gba wok but slow
dump 1422-SwordofMana.gba white screen
dump 1661-F-Zero-GPLegend.gba work with sound

Most games seem to freeze on the title screen now. i.e. zelda minish cap which was playable. Mario Kart, and the mario advance which is mario 2.
Keep up the good work on the asm though

Tested with GP2x at 250MHz with version q and an selector script (no gmenu)
Azumanga Daioh Advance (J).gba: white screen
zelda minish just quit the emulator
Mario Kart Advance (J) [!].gba: lot of graphics glitch and looping sound
metal slug advance dump 1840 work correctly but sound is buggy
Pokemon Sapphire (U) [!].gba and Pokemon Version Saphir (F).gba work correctly
Super Mario Advance 4 (J).gba work but no sound and realy slow
Golden Sun - L'Age Perdu (F).gba don't work
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (E) [hIR00].gba work but some serious graphics problem in race
Mortal Kombat Advance (E).gba work but no sound 402-562 with GP2x at 250MHz
Pro Tennis WTA Tour (E).gba work with little graphics glitch in the menu
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (U).gba work but realy slowly à 250MHz
dump 1395-Pitfall-L'ExpeditionPerdue.gba work
dump 1406-GuiltyGearX-AdvanceEdition.gba wok but slow
dump 1422-SwordofMana.gba white screen
dump 1661-F-Zero-GPLegend.gba work with sound
Thanks. Can you try with q.1? did they work with p or o?(although that probably doesnt matter so much as I probably wont remember what I changed there)

Most games seem to freeze on the title screen now. i.e. zelda minish cap which was playable. Mario Kart, and the mario advance which is mario 2.
Keep up the good work on the asm though
Thanks for the encouragement I have learnt a lot from doing this. I think it would have been a lot easier for a someone who already knows asm. As far as I can see now, at frame skip zero, cpu emulation is taking about 20% of the time. About 70% of the time is on graphics and the rest probably for sound and other overheads. If someone could optimize the gfx part or tell me how to do it it would be more helpful. Perhaps move the gfx part to the 2nd cpu?(Is it even possible?). At the moment the gfx part takes about 40ms per frame. Even if it is moved to the 2nd cpu, it would have to take less than 17ms per frame to achieve frame skip zero. It is possible to achieve frame skip 3 (full speed) if the gfx part can be moved onto the 2nd core without any optimization of the gfx.

q1 is no different. the advance wars title screen works betterm but compatibilty is still crap.

Thanks for the encouragement I have learnt a lot from doing this. I think it would have been a lot easier for a someone who already knows asm. As far as I can see now, at frame skip zero, cpu emulation is taking about 20% of the time. About 70% of the time is on graphics and the rest probably for sound and other overheads. If someone could optimize the gfx part or tell me how to do it it would be more helpful. Perhaps move the gfx part to the 2nd cpu?(Is it even possible?). At the moment the gfx part takes about 40ms per frame. Even if it is moved to the 2nd cpu, it would have to take less than 17ms per frame to achieve frame skip zero. It is possible to achieve frame skip 3 (full speed) if the gfx part can be moved onto the 2nd core without any optimization of the gfx.
Please note I'm not an uber technical mastermind or anything, but: I don't think in the case of the GBA the GFX system would be a good thing to shift to the 2nd CPU. You need something that requires CPU time but little memory usage if possible. I can imagine due to the complex nature of the GBAs GFX hardware (sprite RAM, tile RAM etc) a lot of data would need to be passed around, thus killing any performance gains that the 2nd CPU would introduce. Maybe moving sound to the 2nd CPU would be a more realistic idea?

Please note I'm not an uber technical mastermind or anything, but: I don't think in the case of the GBA the GFX system would be a good thing to shift to the 2nd CPU. You need something that requires CPU time but little memory usage if possible. I can imagine due to the complex nature of the GBAs GFX hardware (sprite RAM, tile RAM etc) a lot of data would need to be passed around, thus killing any performance gains that the 2nd CPU would introduce. Maybe moving sound to the 2nd CPU would be a more realistic idea?
Sound to 2nd CPU has been done by notaz for picodrive. I guess the technical mastermind devs would probably find it more challenging to do gfx on 2nd cpu. Since notaz could probably do the sound if he wanted and had the time to do so.

As you probably know Im no expert :p but I have seen some real improvements recently (especially with the pokemon games (the secret's out :ph34r: :unsure: )) so keep up the good work, I can't wait until a full-speed, (virtually) glitchless version is realised :D The one thing I would say that annoys me quite a bit with the current version is that the menu doesn't seem to work at all :( Also the sound really isnt very smooth (but I dont know if thats to do with the jumpy frame-rate or not though...) keep up the good work, and I'll wait eagerly for the next realise B)

I just tried 4 games:

Final Fight One: Worked fine, slow.
Defender of the Crown: Worked fine
Dungeons And Dragons Eye of the Beholder: Worked fine, quite playable. Graphic glitch on character screens.
International Karate: Worked fine, playable speed

It's looking really promising. If you could play games fullspeed at FS=2 (ie. 20FPS) with sound then I would be highly impressed. Is this likely?

There was an emulator created for the Zodiac called Firestorm which was also showing a fair bit of promise. One of the last updates they did was an ASM core for the CPU. Even with this they were claiming about 60% speed (but I'm not sure what this really means as you need to factor frameskip into it).

Great stuff!

How much faster do you think this can go? How does the PSP version get "fullspeed"?

you can use this interface i have created using Selector.
Put the roms named "bla.gba" (no space in the name) in roms directory and launche the vba.gpe file. To update with futur realise, juste remplace the "vba" file with the new "vba.gpe" renamed in "vba".

Your can donwload it here

you can use this interface i have created using Selector.
Put the roms named "bla.gba" (no space in the name) in roms directory and launche the vba.gpe file. To update with futur realise, juste remplace the "vba" file with the new "vba.gpe" renamed in "vba".

Your can donwload it here

Ive tried the selector but I can't seem to get it to work... has anyone else tried yet?

Back