Very Dissapointed It Dont Have A 4:3 Screen For Retro Game

renejr902

Website
Visit site
very dissapointed it dont have a 4:3 screen for retro game

i have a psp and i dont like to strech snes emu to play it. and i dont like to have the screen border to be blank when using the 4:3 strecthing.

i will buy the pandora with a 4:3 screen but with a widescreen i dont think.

others people thinks like me

sorry for my bad english

JakeK said:
It doesn't have to be stretched to the entire width or height of the screen. No sane person is going to sacrifice quality for a large picture.
(except me):p

Last edited by a moderator:
If you love SNES emulation so badly that the screen must be the exact same aspect ratio or it's worthless then maybe you should have been hoping for a screen that's a multiple of 256x224.

The screen is 800x480 for a reason--320x240, which is 4:3 and resolution of many retro consoles, when doubled is 640x480. Then you just live with black borders or add useful stuff like menu controls in the sides.

BTW, evne other resolutions like, say, 256x224 could be stretched to 480 pixels tall (and then the image would be doubled 274x240 = 548x480), and with a good filter like 2xSaI or HQ2X, 16 extra pixels mixed in won't even be noticeable ;)

The widescreen LCD takes up just about all the vertical space in the lid already. If you were to replace it with a 4:3 LCD of the same height, you would still have the same viewable area as the current screen when pillarboxed. So with a 4:3 aspect ratio LCD you gain nothing for 4:3 games, but you lose valuable screen real estate for video playback / GUI / widescreen games.

Please close this thread. It is silly.

Maybe this is another good question for the wiki?

Here is the truth of it:

If we did use a 4:3 display, it would be VGA. The easiest to buy and brightest ones come in sizes from 3.5" to 3.7" so that is what we would have used. If you draw the view window of a 3.7" VGA display on top of a WVGA 4.3" display, you will see that the 640x480 area is identical so you lose nothing by having games appear in a "windowed" mode with black side bars, but you gain a lot in extra pixels for video playback, menu space and web browsing.

It's sad some people still don't get it.

EDIT: Bah! Chip beat me to it while I was typing! :)

i would have prefer a 4.0 ' screen 4:3 , it could have be cool for retro games

i know 3.5' (4:3) is like 4.3 ' widescreen

anyway what i really want is a bigger 4:3 screen than a widescreen.

do you get the idea now

(if the snes emu was great on gp2x ( like the psp one) i will buy the gp2x. but for now its not enough fast for me. so i played my ghostling snes emu on my psp in widescreen )

renejr902 said:

do you get the idea now

(if the snes emu was great on gp2x ( like the psp one) i will buy the gp2x. but for now its not enough fast for me. so i played my ghostling snes emu on my psp in widescreen )
So your complaint isn't even the aspect ratio, it's that the screen is too small. Even though you said you'd be happy to play on a GP2X if it were fast enough and you implied that PSP would be fine if the screen were 240 pixels tall (and didn't ghost). And apparently having a slightly smaller screen that what you want is a total deal breaker for you.

MWeston made it pretty clear that they wouldn't have used a larger screen if it were 4:3. They're trying to meet certain size requirements, and a screen of those dimensions might be too uncommon and/or expensive.

As it stands craigix has already stated that 800x480 screens are cheaper and easier to obtain than similar 640x480 ones, which makes sense given their commodity.

Exophase said:
renejr902 said:

do you get the idea now

So your complaint isn't even the aspect ratio, it's that the screen is too small. Even though you said you'd be happy to play on a GP2X if it were fast enough and you implied that PSP would be fine if the screen were 240 pixels tall (and didn't ghost). And apparently having a slightly smaller screen that what you want is a total deal breaker for you.

MWeston made it pretty clear that they wouldn't have used a larger screen if it were 4:3. They're trying to meet certain size requirements, and a screen of those dimensions might be too uncommon and/or expensive.

As it stands craigix has already stated that 800x480 screens are cheaper and easier to obtain than similar 640x480 ones, which makes sense given their commodity.

I don't think that's what his problem is... I think he's complaining because he doesn't want the black bars on the widescreen when playing his SNES games, so he ends up playing with the 4:3 screen stretched to fit the 16:9. So he really does want the 4:3 screen... so that he doesn't have to stretch to widescreen since he refuses to play with black bars. And now he wants a BIGGER 4:3 screen.

That's what I gather, correct me if I'm wrong. (And if I'm right, I think he's really picky/inconsiderate to what most other people want.) Any way, someone tell him he could probably get 4:3 through the TV out, if he wants it that badly.

MWeston said:
If you draw the view window of a 3.7" VGA display on top of a WVGA 4.3" display, you will see that the 640x480 area is identical so you lose nothing by having games appear in a "windowed" mode with black side bars, but you gain a lot in extra pixels for video playback, menu space and web browsing.
I am not too sure it is exactly the same height. I do know that the GP2X 3.5" screen is actually slightly taller than a PSP 4.3" screen. 3.7" 4:3 would be taller yet. Maybe the aspect of the PSP and Pandora is slightly different (the Pandora not quite as wide).

I guess it is worth the tradeoff for many to get the extra res though, you might as well fill the lid with screen. Those side bars can be used for things in emus, even gadgets to control things like load/saving etc.

Of course with a 4:3 screen just think of the monster speakers you could put in the lid :p

For emulators I would rather have borders and integer doubling than stretching a 4:3 to 16:9.

DaveC said:
I am not too sure it is exactly the same height. I do know that the GP2X 3.5" screen is actually slightly taller than a PSP 4.3" screen. 3.7" 4:3 would be taller yet. Maybe the aspect of the PSP and Pandora is slightly different (the Pandora not quite as wide).
Actually it's exactly this way. The OMAP dev kits have 3.7" panels with a view area of 74.88 x 56.16 and the Pandora has a view area of 93.16 x 56.16. The only 4.0" VGA panel I have found is an old Sharp panel with a side CCFL light (LTM04C380K). It has a view area of 80.64 x 60.48. I guess renejr902 has to ask him/herself just how important an extra 4mm is!

You do have a point though. I swear the display on my Zodiac is pretty much the same size as my PSP but it's rated as a 3.8". :)

renejr902 said:
very dissapointed it dont have a 4:3 screen for retro game

i have a psp and i dont like to strech snes emu to play it. and i dont like to have the screen border to be blank when using the 4:3 strecthing.
Black screen area, black plastic surround, screen printed calico, who cares what's where you're not looking?

Ridiculous.

I find marquees to be somewhat distracting. I think it's to be a waste of screenspace to play a game unstrethced. Loss of quality doesnt really bother me

PlopperZ said:
I find marquees to be somewhat distracting. I think it's to be a waste of screenspace to play a game unstrethced. Loss of quality doesnt really bother me

I agree, besides I play most my consoles that I do have on my widescreen LCD tv, it's not like I use blacked out areas on that >_<

Back