Very Dissapointed It Dont Have A 4:3 Screen For Retro Game

For me playing classic games in poor quality ruins it. I'd play with black bars anyday, but I would hate it if those black bars were images instead. I don't want that particular area to be eye catching, that is what the game is for.

JakeK said:
For me playing classic games in poor quality ruins it. I'd play with black bars anyday, but I would hate it if those black bars were images instead. I don't want that particular area to be eye catching, that is what the game is for.
I know it maybe a bit late/early in the game but maybe Pandora self could regulate the size io. run everything fullscreen but you could just ad a setting that make Pandora fix the 4:3 by itself and black out the sides? much like any LCD tv can change between the formats?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like having the black bars all stuffed with info. FPS, a clock, maybe the values of a few ram locations. Time of last save state and sram write. Etc.

Exophase said:
If you love SNES emulation so badly that the screen must be the exact same aspect ratio or it's worthless then maybe you should have been hoping for a screen that's a multiple of 256x224.
I think you mean a multiple of 512x448. Wouldn't want to miss out on the 3 or so games that use high res mode. :D

That's dumb, as a real old-timer I would never play on anything but a real arcade monitor. All one needs is a big pocket to put the monitor in and a huge backpack to get a few minutes of power for the setup.

Quite useless Discussion :lol:
Widescreen doesn't interrupt 4:3 (gaming) fun but a small 4:3 Screen can interrupt 16:9 (Movie)-Fun.

The Black Area of the Pandoras 16:9 (or was it 5:3) Screen left (and/or) right can be used for Menus etc. Of course it should appear only if you touch the Area because always visible Stuff around the Gaming Area can be confusing. ^_^

And I have no Problem with black bars on the side. If you play 1:1 SNES Emulation on a 4:3 Screen you have these bars to (And I think nobody likes the stretching of this onto the GP2X Emulators ;) )
Maybe some Day I find out, why the SNES had such a weird Aspect Ratio but it's not a Problem at all.

The 800x480 Screen of the Pandora is fine because we can use it for nice, clean Pixel Doubling or even Tripling (GBA) :)

This has been discussed many times over. Basically widescreen ratio is the best way to go on a portable console since it maximises the viewable area without making the device too tall (for example my laptop would be even more difficult to use on a bus if it had a 4:3 ratio screen)

It accomodates movies and their tendency to be in a 16:9 ratio and you just put black bars to keep retro stuff the correct aspect. It's really not a big deal... I do like the ideas of putting info and menus in this dead space. Perhaps with optional marquees. In the GBC/GB emulator we might be able to have the SGB borders too?

bottom line is that the screen ratio has already been decided, so if you don't like it then that's your problem really.

fusion_power said:
Quite useless Discussion :lol:
Widescreen doesn't interrupt 4:3 (gaming) fun but a small 4:3 Screen can interrupt 16:9 (Movie)-Fun.

The Black Area of the Pandoras 16:9 (or was it 5:3) Screen left (and/or) right can be used for Menus etc. Of course it should appear only if you touch the Area because always visible Stuff around the Gaming Area can be confusing. ^_^

And I have no Problem with black bars on the side. If you play 1:1 SNES Emulation on a 4:3 Screen you have these bars to (And I think nobody likes the stretching of this onto the GP2X Emulators ;) )
Maybe some Day I find out, why the SNES had such a weird Aspect Ratio but it's not a Problem at all.

The 800x480 Screen of the Pandora is fine because we can use it for nice, clean Pixel Doubling or even Tripling (GBA) :)
I completely agree.

I will always take a bigger, higher res screen over smaller and lower res.

interesting point out there....

anyway i always waiting for a handheld of my personal preferences that was not existing.

like: 4:3 , 4.0' or more, works perfect with snes, gen, gameboy... and works like a charm indoor like outdoor ( maybe oled can help that.)

anyway i will look at the pandora, in some months , you convinced me with yours points.

i dont know why but i dont like playing emu games with black border, so i will always strecth the screen to get the full space. the snes emu on psp when 4:3 aspect ratio seem a lot smaller than when i strecthed widescreen, so i played it strecthed.

sorry for my bad english.

in all time the zodiac was the best lcd screen i have seen to strecthing emu, in my opinion. the quality was great. so probably pandora could do it this well too.

I'm sure a lot of people will be posting videos of emus in different screen ratios once it is released, so you will be able to see it in action and judge if it works for you. Hopefully it does!

I think we should have a team of ROM hackers dedicated to resizing games to natively fit Pandora's resolution. :)

That's not really a case of ROM hacking as much as hacking emulators to emulate the consoles like they had a bigger VRAM :p

Tinnus said:
That's not really a case of ROM hacking as much as hacking emulators to emulate the consoles like they had a bigger VRAM :p
You'll have to hack the ROMs to get them to take advantage of the extra VRAM anyways (;

I find black bars at the edge of the screen are really annoying when you think about them but ONLY when you think about them. When you're playing a game or watching a 4:3 video you don't even notice them.

:D

Esn said:
Sorry folks, quick question: Is the screen the same size vertically as the GP2X screen? (not in pixels, in actual height)
Funny, you say to read the gp2x FAQ in your signature. Did you try to read the Pandora FAQ? :D

Anyway the screen size is given here: http://pandorawiki.org/Pandora

Whoops, sorry, I didn't see that the first time I looked ("93.6 x 56.2 mm").

So since the GP2X and GP32 screens were 5.3 cm high, the Pandora's is actually slightly bigger vertically and much wider horizontally.

And this fellow is complaining? My GP32 screen is huge compared to the screens of my other handhelds.

Check out the screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7M44cS59k

Looks fantastic!

(no, it's not a rickroll, it's a new vid by MWeston posted on another thread)

GunPei2X said:
Check out the screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7M44cS59k

Looks fantastic!

(no, it's not a rickroll, it's a new vid by MWeston posted on another thread)

Haha, it would be hilariious if MWeston rickrolled us on the pandora screen. :lol:

joshwaan2k said:
Hmm I think the screen will be fine :)

Also with the screen been 30MS will there be a lot of ghosting?
After all the work and time gone into Pandora and we end up with a ghosting screen, it's going to be a big dissapointment and not suitable for emulators. If we need to have a widescreen then atleast we should have GP2X type screen which suffers from no ghosting etc. also what about dead pixels can we be assured that the screens won't have any?

Back