Votes: 15 17.9%
  • No, I don't like the idea.

Votes: 69 82.1%

• Total voters

renejr902

Website
Visit site
i have a idea. Why dont release A pandora Slim edition

I wait for GPH to release their new console, yeah it very small , but that caanoo handheld dont have a d-pad so its crap for most emulators

Is it is possible in future to release a Pandora Slim edition ?

Some examples:

EX: the keyboard could be extern and connect to usb.

EX: one sd card slot.

EX: Look like the zodiac form ( easy to bring, very small, very slim)

EX: Software need to be 100% compatible with original Pandora

EX: a lot more slim than original Pandora

Need to keep the 2 analog stick and the D-pad.

EX: smaller Battery 5 hours instead

EX: speaker at the bottom , in worst case at the back, but not great

EX: not a DS type or size, more like a very slim psp type or size or like the zodiac size , or more like the Caanoo size.)

EX: Same size screen if possible.

EX: not sure if its a good idea for compatibility with software, but maybe its possible if firmware is coded correctly: a 3.5 screen size with 640 x 480.
It could save a lot of space

EX: Maybe a little less expensive

i only make this topic has a suggestion.

thanks for idea. I hope this idea dont get craigix freak. LOL

What do you think Craigix ?

( Edit: i want to add a poll about this, but i think i cant edit my topic to add one. a poll like: Yes its a good idea. No, i dont like the idea

I would imagine a talented modder might be able to do such a thing with the current hardware. My guess is that most of the device's girth comes from the battery, buttons, and nubs, so if you somehow managed to slim those down you could already shave some of the thickness down. It'd be a lot of re-engineering the case, tho. Probably not something they'd even think about till Pandora MK.1 sells enough.

yeah i suppose. In my case i will prefer that. Because i always bring a handheld console with me , anywhere i go, in my small backpack, the backpack with ropes, i dont know the name in english LOL

Edit: Wow Thanks !! Someone edit my topic and add the poll i asked for. Thanks to this person

To be honest, I would totally like to see a slimmer Pandora, but I wouldn't want to see any features cut from it. I'd rather see it get more features and stay the same size than shrink and lose features. I still haven't received mine, so it's hard to say just how good or bad the size is. It might be perfect as is. :p

The bag, I think I've found it... they call it a "drawstring sport pack" or "tote backpack". Maybe there's a more common name for it. :huh: I think they gave us these at work, though I've never used it.

I've been beating myself up on this. It would be nice to have a slimmer unit, but if the technology gets to a stage where you COULD make the unit slimmer do you really want to make it slimmer? Or do you want to use the extra space to fit a massive beefy battery than can last 30 hours on one charge?

Hmm...

hypothetical dilemmas!

hum, why do you want to make a slimer pandora when you can get a phone that do the same? the MAJOR advantage of the pandora is its form factor, I see no point breaking that. pandora stand no chance against other cortex-A8 device without this advantage...

For me slimmer ≠ better :
I've bought a DSi and frankly, I prefer my old DS Tank, it is more comfortable. I get cramps when I'm playing a touchscreen intensive game on DSi.
In my opinion, the Pandora has the perfect size to fit in your hands with a good grip and to be slipped in any bag.

Removing the keyboard wouldn't make the pandora smaller, it's a clamshell design the bottom part have to be at least the same size than the screen part.

HW should be 100% the same, including screen size

pandoraslim.jpg

All I gotta say is, I already have a Zodiac... well, it's not Pandora compatible, but you get my point... you're trying to take away some of the things that make the Pandora what it is... I can't imagine trying to play games on another system as slim as the zodiac with two analogs, it was really hard to play on the zodiac as is (and I have one of those metal cases that give it an extra couple millimeters width). I really wish I had bought a commandplay grip for my Zod when I had the chance...

I'd include AGPS, an accelerometer and a friggin' IRDA port rather than making the unit smaller in any way.

GunPei2X said:
chame: no keyboard?

no, use a usb one, or attached external peripheral

many people may want to use pandora only as game console, and other appz like address book, gps, mplayer, pdf etc can be used perfectly just with the touch screen. to save cost, battery could be internal, and case be made just by two parts. no hinges, no battery cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
chame said:
to save cost, battery could be internal, and case be made just by two parts.
Oh my God, no. Please, no. There are so many ways you could make a device with a removable battery and still save on bulk. The only way I could agree to something like this is if it was still user-serviceable, like remove some screws to open the case to remove the battery. Devices that constantly need to recharge eventually lose their ability to hold a charge, and if I can't take the battery out and replace it (as opposed to having to send it in like an iPod or iPhone) then I wouldn't buy it.

-Tj- said:
The only way I could agree to something like this is if it was still user-serviceable, like remove some screws to open the case to remove the battery.

yeah, that way, just remove some screws

chame said:
GunPei2X said:
chame: no keyboard?

no, use a usb one, or attached external peripheral

I had a chatboard for the GP32 - real nifty, but in the end it just wasn't useable as a handheld that way. I'm not sure I would have bought a Pandora if it didn't have a keyboard built in.

But I think we all had this discussion a couple of years ago :)

I would've been interested in a slimmer pandora myself and personally could've lived with fewer features, but the pandora can't be everything to everyone. Design equals compromise. Given the incredible delays getting one model together the OP team went through, do you really want to see them spend the time and money on a variation when they've yet to even produce the majority of 'original' model? Pandora is what it is. I think people take this open source enthusiast designed device a little too far.

Back