Very Dissapointed It Dont Have A 4:3 Screen For Retro Game

MWeston said:
DaveC said:
MWeston said:
It is a transmissive panel which means that it does wash out in direct sunlight. I have never seen a panel like this available in transflective. I think there is a PDA phone out there that has it, but I'm not sure. If I could ever find one, it would be a nice consideration as long as the pricing wasn't completely ridiculous!

The screen itself is not the high gloss type, plus with the adjustable hinge, it might be possible to shadow the display for respectable outdoor use.

Here are a few more specs on the display:

- brightness: 300 cd/m2
- contrast ratio: 450:1
- response time: tr + tf=30ms

EDIT: This means no ghosting! I don't know what Sony was thinking with that PSP screen.
Isn't 30 ms like dog slow these days though? The average HDTV LCD is 16 ms. The GP2X screen is 25 ms.

The PSP screen must be about 1 sec response time.

This is total response for a pixel to go from black to white and then to black again. The response time for the pixel to just change color is 15ms, the PSP was between 40 and 50ms.

From here

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
If you love SNES emulation so badly that the screen must be the exact same aspect ratio or it's worthless then maybe you should have been hoping for a screen that's a multiple of 256x224.

Only that's not quite correct as the pixels would not be square (PAR <> 1:1). The closest approximation to a correct SNES display, while maintaining 224 height, would be a width of 299 pixels. 256x224 stretched to 640x480 (DAR = 1,33) gives a fairly accurate representation of the actual SNES output (which also used a DAR of 1,33 with a non-square PAR).

cappuchok said:
Exophase said:
If you love SNES emulation so badly that the screen must be the exact same aspect ratio or it's worthless then maybe you should have been hoping for a screen that's a multiple of 256x224.

Only that's not quite correct as the pixels would not be square (PAR <> 1:1). The closest approximation to a correct SNES display, while maintaining 224 height, would be a width of 299 pixels. 256x224 stretched to 640x480 (DAR = 1,33) gives a fairly accurate representation of the actual SNES output (which also used a DAR of 1,33 with a non-square PAR).
That's assuming it stretches to fit the entire width of a 4:3 aspect ratio television, that has nothing cut off the edges (doesn't display overscan), same with height, etc. Honestly I can't even remember what an SNES looks like exactly on a TV, but I doubt it's exactly that.

Although, if you're saying that 256x224 stretched to 640x480 gives an accurate representation of what a TV would look like then wouldn't you want a 274x240 screen with non-square pixels? Not like the image wasn't being fit to phosphors that varied per TV in the first place.

Back