Vice 2.0 (25 Jul 2008) Released

foleyjo said:
Speed on this one is great. if you go below 200 it does pause every so often.
Graphics on the games are really sharp and the colours look great.

The only thing that I like more on Frodo now is the fact that you can map your own keys to the GP2X buttons on frodo.
You've got this to work? Some users are getting a black screen.

Shirohagen said:
foleyjo said:
The only thing that I like more on Frodo now is the fact that you can map your own keys to the GP2X buttons on frodo.
Yes, I agree, that's definately something that VICE would benefit from along with menu pause.

We seem to get fairly regular updates to the core emulator, but not very much in terms of GP2X specific usability. Great emulator, but a little GP2X love would be great too.

One of the Vice devs is wants to improve the official GP2X version but doesn't have a GP2X, let's hope he gets one.

jbrodack said:
gnostic thanks for the response. I just appreciate the fact that you're looking at this.

are some people getting this version to work and others not?

anyway in gnostic's 1.21 I never noticed a sound problem.

I've been using vice over frodo since that version of vice. Its compatible with everything while frodo can be finicky. at around 225 everything seems to play without pauses. I didn't stick with 1.22 as it seemed like a small step backwards from gnostic's version.
At 225mhz does Gnostic's version run all games at 60fps, 0 frameskip with sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hirolaser - Yes it worked fine for me. First black screen. Then yellow. Then C64 screen. I then tried Batman the Movie (one of the games I usually test C64 emulators) and it ran at normal speed with the default settings 200MHZ.

@jbrodack - Sound problem is noticeable when you play games without music. There is a slight delay between the SFX and whats happening on the screen. Dont know if its present on 2.0 as I played with music on to test speed. The delay problem doesnt seem to go away no matter how high you overclock (though I can only go to 250.

@Dave - Sound was fine. not sure about delay bug. Realsid will probably slow it down but I dont think Frodo uses realsid. Graphics seemed better than frodo.

i've tried vice 2.0 on my f100 (v2.1.1) and all i get is black screen..
emulation works fine but the draw buffer is always empty.. dunno why atm.

i didn't know that it worked for some people, so i'll try with my f200.. (hope it works)
maybe while at it add touchscreen support as well :)

EDIT:
@foleyjo: what's your firmware version?

In my Gp2x f200 fw 4.1.1 i get only black screen.
The old version is ok. This new release don't work at all.
Someone can contact vice team to solve this problem? :huh:

i get black screen with f200 v4.0

i contacted to Marco van den Heuvel (viceteam), he told me to revert back to old gp2x source files.. doing so didn't help.. i'm still browsing through the vice source (which also will help me to speed up vice emulator for gp2x) and hopefully make it work by weekend..

Im using firmware 3.0.0

Just tried barbarian and the sound delay was still present

Oopsdate (little pun on update)- Just double checked and did a fresh install and got the black screen. The first time I copied over my older vice install. Turns out it copied everything but the actual X64. So if you use the old X64 as you can guess it all works :angry: I feel like such a goose

I did notice you can still access the menu, the status bar and keyboard when you get the black screen. Tried loading a game but nothing happened

Hi all,

I've found the problem for the black screen issue and made a new 'fixed' binary archive for all you guys, you can download it from here.

@GnoStiC (and any-1 else wanting to compile it, here's what you need to do:

in the file src/vice.h get rid of the following lines:

/* Allow unaligned access for gp2x port */
#ifdef GP2X
#define ALLOW_UNALIGNED_ACCESS
#endif

@all, for the VICE screenshots site I would love to have some screenshots of the gp2x running x64, x128, xplus4, xvic, xcbm2 and xpet, if any-1 wants to make some please email them to blackystardust68@yahoo.com.

Signed, Marco van den Heuvel.

Great stuff

The sound delay seems to have gone.

Runs great with fakesid at 200mhz.
slight pausing with realsid on.

The additions such as USB joypads are gone but Im guessing Gnostic will have them back when he does a release.

1 problem I found was it locked up the GP2X when I went to exit. Dont know if this is a bug or my GP2X being silly.

If it can have the couple of things people have requested (pausing when accessing menu, Keymapping to GP2X buttons with the option to make a button press instead of joystick up for jumping) I think people will be deleting Frodo

GnoStiC said:
here is the working vice 2.0 for gp2x (x64 only);
vice20_x64.rar

more optimized version will be available soon :)

blacky said:
Hi all,

I've found the problem for the black screen issue and made a new 'fixed' binary archive for all you guys, you can download it from here.

@GnoStiC (and any-1 else wanting to compile it, here's what you need to do:

in the file src/vice.h get rid of the following lines:

/* Allow unaligned access for gp2x port */
#ifdef GP2X
#define ALLOW_UNALIGNED_ACCESS
#endif

@all, for the VICE screenshots site I would love to have some screenshots of the gp2x running x64, x128, xplus4, xvic, xcbm2 and xpet, if any-1 wants to make some please email them to blackystardust68@yahoo.com.

Thanks for sorting the problems Gnostic and blacky. A bit confused, are these two seperate versions?

a new version:
vice20_x64-2 (x64 only)
  • now uses minilib 0.c :)
  • usbjoystick support (implemented but not tested)
  • pause emulation on menu (background may seem to flicker, this is due to triple screen buffers switching)
  • overclocking in 5mhz steps (between 150-280 mhz)
TO DO:
keyboard support
keymapping

Hirolaser said:
Thanks for sorting the problems Gnostic and blacky. A bit confused, are these two seperate versions?
Sorry about the confusion, the version that I posted is the official VICE 2.0 fixed for GP2X, and Gnostic has his own improved version.

I don't own a GP2X myself, and for me to improve the port I would need to learn alot about the GP2X first.

So, IMHO we need some-1 on the VICE team who can do the improvements for the GP2X port, being on the VICE team would give that person direct access to people who know about the internals of the emulator, and access to the maintainers of all the other ports for UI/arch questions (I maintain all except win32 and macosx).

If Gnostic would agree to it I would like to offer him the 'position' of GP2X port maintainer, and ofc. I'll help with anything I know about (most of the VICE internals and most of the UI/arch stuff).

Hey GnoStiC!

Nice work! USB joystick support is working. But is it possible that up and down is changed?

Regards,
Stephan

Gnostic and the Vice team working together.. that sounds great!

Thanks for all the hard work Gnostic and blacky/Vice team, Vice2X is one of my favorite emulators on the GP2X (and it will be even better on the pandora, yummy) so it is good to see it is still fully supported.

vice20_x64-3 (x64 only)

added key mapping;
you can assign joystick up/down/left/right to A Y X buttons ..
(B is reserved for fire, shoulder L R are reserved for virtual keyboard and status bar)

keymaps are not saved at the moment.
joystick left exits the keymapping menu.
start resets the current assignment.

i don't know if this is how you imaged the key mapping would be.. i don't play games so i'm not familiar with this kinda stuff :rolleyes:

thanks guys for the work on this. I tried gnostic's second release and it plays great. sound is perfect and everything runs at good speed. the overclocking option seems to move a bit too quick for me, nothing big though.

GnoStiC said:
vice20_x64-3 (x64 only)

added key mapping;
you can assign joystick up/down/left/right to A Y X buttons ..
(B is reserved for fire, shoulder L R are reserved for virtual keyboard and status bar)

keymaps are not saved at the moment.
joystick left exits the keymapping menu.
start resets the current assignment.

i don't know if this is how you imaged the key mapping would be.. i don't play games so i'm not familiar with this kinda stuff :rolleyes:

I Love you :D
Just played Flimbos quest and its much easier to press a button to jump than using up.

Just one thing though. Could keymapping be made to allow any keyboard button be assigned to a GP2X button. There are games when you need a keyboard press but it is too difficult to use the virtual keyboard.

For example. Nemesis/Gradius needs you to press shift to select power ups but you don't have time to do it as you have loads of enemies flying at you.

Or in Ghostbusters you have to press B to drop some bait or the marshmallow man gets you.

Maybe do it so that when the Virtual Keyboard is on screen if you press X Y or A on a key it assigns that key to them buttons?

VICE team and GnoStiC, thank you very much!

foleyjo said:
Maybe do it so that when the Virtual Keyboard is on screen if you press X Y or A on a key it assigns that key to them buttons?

I think this is a great idea.

Thorsten

Back