Video And Tv Out

Windy

Still Fresh
What resolution should video be encoded for optimum use of TV Out.

Does the TV out use the same 800 x 480 resolution as the Pandora display.

That's just the LCD resolution. The TV out is standard TV. Either NTSC or PAL, depending on region.
I don't think you'll need to worry about encoding things for TV out though. Just encode to whatever and the Pandora will handle any scaling that needs to occur to make it fit.

Will it be possible to use a different resolution for tv-out? Perfect pixel alignment is preferred in some cases.

since we are talking composite or s-video, which is analog signals.

pixels will never be "aligned" since it will be scaled.
and an old crt tv wouldnt have pixels anyway

CoMiKe said:
I would say 480 pixels of height for NTSC (as it has 486 lines of height, but that number isn't multiple of 8) and 576 pixels of height for most PAL systems.

Anyway, if you have and LCD Television, it would get scaled no matter what you use, so I wouldn't give too much importance to this.

It will also depend on the amount of overscan (black borders, if any). And its irrelevant if its a LCD or not, as the signal will still be transmitted as 486 or 576 scanlines.

Last edited by a moderator:
macke said:
It will also depend on the amount of overscan (black borders, if any). And its irrelevant if its a LCD or not, as the signal will still be transmitted as 486 or 576 scanlines.
Yeah, I'm not exactly an expert in this topic. :D
I only gave sources to the Wikipedia for those interested into reading.

GizmoTheGreen said:
since we are talking composite or s-video, which is analog signals.

pixels will never be "aligned" since it will be scaled.
and an old crt tv wouldnt have pixels anyway

It will still have scanlines, which is fixed (depending on pal or ntsc). The pandora might (not sure) do some processing on the horizontal resolution before generating the signals for tv. I'm also not sure how LCD tv:s determine sample rate for each scanline (my guess is that it varies). Some tv:s might be able to determine proper horizontal resolution.

Ideally the pandora would be able to us the same resolution for tv:eek:ut as the resolution which is used to generate the analog signal.

Not exactly. PAL and SECAM are technically just color-encoding techniques, and the resolution and refresh rate are separate standards. NTSC is a set of standards, including color encoding.
North America and half of SA use NTSC-M: 525 scanlines(486 visible), 30 interlaced fps (29.97 to be precise), 15734 lines per second.
Most of the rest of the world PAL with 625 scanlines(576 visible), 25 interlaced fps, 15625 lines/sec 14.8MHz clockspeed PAL.
Brazil uses PAL-M, with the "NTSC"-resolution of 525 line, 29.97 frame/s.

But that doesn't mean that you can only use those resolutions. Depending on the TV, other resolutions may also be possible. I once gave a CRT-TV 1024x768x60Hz over TV-out...

The OMAP3530's Video DAC has a 54Mhz clock, wich should allow for 1024x768x68Hz. If your TV supports it, you should be able to feed it anything up to that resolution.

Laurencevde said:
...The OMAP3530's Video DAC has a 54Mhz clock, wich should allow for 1024x768x68Hz. If your TV supports it, you should be able to feed it anything up to that resolution...
Sounds pretty good. I've got a TV-to-(S)VGA converter that provides 1024x768 output signal. Maybe I can get full 1024x768 to external monitor :) Can't wait to try it out.

Laurencevde said:
The OMAP3530's Video DAC has a 54Mhz clock, wich should allow for 1024x768x68Hz. If your TV supports it, you should be able to feed it anything up to that resolution.
So, for 16:9 LCD's, we could get a 1280x720@58Hz resolution, isn't it?

It's a shame we can't get 1280x720@60Hz just by 2Mhz in the Video DAC. :p

Non CRT screens will treat the analogue signal very differently, success is far from assured.
Even though a typical old CRT screen's analogue nature allows more 'flexibility', the pitch of the shadowmask is an impediment to resolving anything beyond 800x600, and at a max refresh rate of 60hz as the resolution increases visible flickering will too.

Quick question: what happens when we output an 800x480 app to the TV? Does it just crop out the sides? I don't remember reading anything about what it does.

atomicthumbs said:
Quick question: what happens when we output an 800x480 app to the TV? Does it just crop out the sides? I don't remember reading anything about what it does.

That would be something nice to know...

I don't suppose there any way I could tv-out to a computer monitor right?

El Jefe said:
You can use some SVideo/composite to VGA converter.

EDIT:

TrashyMG: You point to USB graphical cards (USB to VGA) which doesn't connect TV out to computer monitor. USB to VGA add additional graphics card trough USB -- so it add new graphic output and keep TV out untouched.

peca said:
El Jefe said:
You can use some SVideo/composite to VGA converter.

EDIT:

TrashyMG: You point to USB graphical cards (USB to VGA) which doesn't connect TV out to computer monitor. USB to VGA add additional graphics card trough USB -- so it add new graphic output and keep TV out untouched.

But a S-Video to VGA converter Box won't give you a higher resolution.

Back