Video And Tv Out

mcobit said:
But a S-Video to VGA converter Box won't give you a higher resolution.
It depends on the box. I dont know if these features are "just for the display" (eg. it takes PAL and upscales) or whether it can actually use a higher resolution S-video input, but:

http://www.svideo.com/video2vga1.html
Features:
<snip>
- VGA Output at 800x600 at 60Hz and 75Hz, 1024x768 at 60Hz

Last edited by a moderator:
mcobit said:
peca said:
El Jefe said:
I don't suppose there any way I could tv-out to a computer monitor right?
You can use some SVideo/composite to VGA converter.

EDIT:

TrashyMG: You point to USB graphical cards (USB to VGA) which doesn't connect TV out to computer monitor. USB to VGA add additional graphics card trough USB -- so it add new graphic output and keep TV out untouched.

Unless the TV out can handle Component out like some PC video cards / Laptops do.. I doubt there is any way to do it. BTW Those are not graphical cards they are capture cards IE, they make it so you can view and record video on your PC.. which you happen to see through your monitor.

It seems dumb to get a Svideo / composite converter for $64.00 when the USB capture card does the same thing for $35.00 and can record video.. However it does seem I linked some of the poorest rated USB capture devices on newegg.

urjaman said:
mcobit said:
It depends on the box. I dont know if these features are "just for the display" (eg. it takes PAL and upscales) or whether it can actually use a higher resolution S-video input, but:

http://www.svideo.com/video2vga1.html
Features:
<snip>
- VGA Output at 800x600 at 60Hz and 75Hz, 1024x768 at 60Hz

Video quality can never be better than the source of the video.. sure it's outputting 800x600 or 1024x768 to the monitor.. but it won't make it look any better.

TrashyMG said:
...BTW Those are not graphical cards they are capture cards IE, they make it so you can view and record video on your PC...
Ouch, mea culpa. I don't read those webs carefully, just spot USB device. Sorry.

TrashyMG said:
...which you happen to see through your monitor...

What? :-O

Example: I (or somebody else) have Pandora with TV-out. I have PC monitor. Now I would like connect Pandora's TV-out to my monitor. For this I need some device.

TrashyMG said:
It seems dumb to get a Svideo / composite converter for $64.00 when the USB capture card does the same thing for $35.00 and can record video.. However it does seem I linked some of the poorest rated USB capture devices on newegg.

I think that special device is better then capture card. To be exactly, I don't know how to wire USB capture device and PC monitor. If you (apparently) mean buy whole PC too which I get as much more dumb (no offence) then buying SVideo to VGA converter :)

I buy SVideo to VGA converter for $30 from second hand and I think that use this will be far better then using some TV set as monitor. Second options is to buy USB to VGA (USB graphic card) which allow connect monitor regularly and use resolution about 1280 x 1024 for office stuff (not video or games).

edit: As I'm not really good in English I add that I don't want to be offensive at any way. Just discus and serve my opinion. :)

atomicthumbs said:
Quick question: what happens when we output an 800x480 app to the TV? Does it just crop out the sides? I don't remember reading anything about what it does.
It depends on your TV. My LCD TV does center the image by default, but there's a button to stretch it horizontally.

Most televisions would allow you to center or stretch the image.

peca said:
TrashyMG said:
...BTW Those are not graphical cards they are capture cards IE, they make it so you can view and record video on your PC...
Ouch, mea culpa. I don't read those webs carefully, just spot USB device. Sorry.

TrashyMG said:
...which you happen to see through your monitor...

What? :-O

Example: I (or somebody else) have Pandora with TV-out. I have PC monitor. Now I would like connect Pandora's TV-out to my monitor. For this I need some device.

TrashyMG said:

I think that special device is better then capture card. To be exactly, I don't know how to wire USB capture device and PC monitor. If you (apparently) mean buy whole PC too which I get as much more dumb (no offence) then buying SVideo to VGA converter :)

I buy SVideo to VGA converter for $30 from second hand and I think that use this will be far better then using some TV set as monitor. Second options is to buy USB to VGA (USB graphic card) which allow connect monitor regularly and use resolution about 1280 x 1024 for office stuff (not video or games).

edit: As I'm not really good in English I add that I don't want to be offensive at any way. Just discus and serve my opinion. :)

The USB to VGA adapter may be the best solution.. I'm just not sure how supported they will be with the Pandora.

TrashyMG said:
The USB to VGA adapter may be the best solution.. I'm just not sure how supported they will be with the Pandora.
AFAIK there are some drivers for linux. Cosurgy from this forum looking buy (or plane to buy) one for his Pandora (when arrive). I expect that someone try it out. If solution will be good for home office / school work enough, maybe I use it too. Meanwhile I try use SVideo to VGA. When Pandora arrive at my home I try it immediately and report results :)

a while ago when i still had my X550 with tv out, i used it to watch movies or play some games and i had it at 1024x768x60Hz (which aws the maximum supported) , ntsc-m, and it looked sharper than my gp2x with open2X (for those who didn't know, open2x has a option to set the tv out to 100% so it wouldn't get scaled, so the output isn't distorted with the nearest neigborg scaling)

Having the graphics card set to 1024x768 doesn't mean that that is what the resulting TV output resolution is though, it's just that is the maximum resolution it can convert to the analogue TV output without losing too much detail.

I thought it was said by OP team the video out cord (at least) can only output 640 480*. Man I was thinking about how to show my friends some conspiracy videos in better res, more like the pandoras native.. Have no clue how, though. Thinking of this topic all the time, second to the controls (of the device).

*640 480 or for europe, whatever PAL resolution

A randomly chosen similar discussion here:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/558082.html

Because the TV-Out is an analogue signal you can in theory add additional information into it, but this is unreliable/not worthwhile due to several factors including the cables, signal quality and the receiving TV being CRT (ie Analogue) with a Shadowmask of a suitable pitch to resolve it.

With a flatscreen set (ie 'Digital' - fixed pixel resolution by nature) any additional picture information in the S-Video or (worse) composite signal will most likely be lost anyway as it treats the analogue input as '480i' in effect, and displays it with an internally predetermined resolution of it's own, probably complying with the expected max of 720x576 (if even that).

Back