Video Out To Video Glasses

overgauss

Was just wondering if I'll be able to use those video glasses with the Pandora. That way coding, gaming etc could be even more awesome on the device.

Oh, you mean video glasses in general?
I assumed the link would point to a specific brand, not to the concept of video glasses itself...

Well, probably. If they have an S-Video in, or RCA composite in or whatever the TV cable puts out, then of course it will work. If they use VGA or some kind of iPod connector, then they won't.

I randomly saw someone hacking a pair of those, to be used as a viewport kinda. I then found out he was actually planning on using it with his Pandora. Oh, how small the internet is... let me see if I can find it again.

Found it. http://www.youtube.com/user/GregorRichards#p/u/0/rhN_zsWWicg

everyone knows that a helmet mounted projector is the way to go anyways

Tuxedomask29 said:
This seems pretty neat and a nice fit...

Link 1
Link 2

I've wondered about these things for years now. Has anyone here tested a pair out? Is it possible to play games in TRUE 3D with these things?
They sound amazing to me but I haven't heard a great deal about them which makes me think that they might actually be a bit crap...

Imagine linking these to a FPS and implementing head tracking software - virtual reality!

Something I've always dreamed off - disconnecting completely from reality and living the rest of my life in a dream world...

Last edited by a moderator:
Miner49er said:
Tuxedomask29 said:

Link 1
Link 2

I've wondered about these things for years now. Has anyone here tested a pair out? Is it possible to play games in TRUE 3D with these things?

ABSOLUTELY not. The one on that link only has one screen. You won't have anything in true 3D if it only interacts with one of your eyes.
As for the ones that have dual screens, most of them only allow one video feed, they don't allow independent feeds per screen. So those are not able to produce real 3D either. Although a modified one should be able to, but then again remember that you wouldn't be able to see where you were going unless the lenses were clear (it's actually possible to make clear LCDs and OLEDs too actually, it just hasn't been done too much so far) or if you can look over the top of them.

rabidpoobear said:
As for the ones that have dual screens, most of them only allow one video feed, they don't allow independent feeds per screen.

I have a Vuzix AV920, I bought it for use with the Pandora. It has s-video input, it's own battery and allows 3d by sending alternate frames to alternate eyes. I believe the 3d mode can be set by sending a special signal over video but you can enable it manually in the OSD too. Yes, that software would have to support it, and it effectively halves the framerate, but you do get proper 3d. I'll probably upgrade to the AV920 "wrap" when it's released, it's non-occluded.

Klepto said:
rabidpoobear said:
As for the ones that have dual screens, most of them only allow one video feed, they don't allow independent feeds per screen.

I have a Vuzix AV920, I bought it for use with the Pandora. It has s-video input, it's own battery and allows 3d by sending alternate frames to alternate eyes. I believe the 3d mode can be set by sending a special signal over video but you can enable it manually in the OSD too. Yes, that software would have to support it, and it effectively halves the framerate, but you do get proper 3d. I'll probably upgrade to the AV920 "wrap" when it's released, it's non-occluded.

So, is it any good?
Have you watched an entire film using it?
Does it give you a headache?
Have you played games using it?
If so, what games, retro or contemporary?
Do you feel like an idiot wearing it?
Is it better than watching something on a smaller TV?

I need to know, I may have to get a pair if ti's worth it...

I posted a detailed review of the Vuzix HMD when I got it but it appears to have got eaten my the board upgrade or something. Oh well.

I've not used it much, until my Pandora comes I have no use for it. It doesn't give me eye-strain or a headache or anything, I played a couple of hours of "Need For Speed: Carbon" on my Wii using it and other than a little disorientation going around corners it was fine. I've not watched movies as such but the cut-scenes in the game were fine. I was very impressed all in all. It remains to be seen how good it is for things like text editing and browsing but from the reviews I read at the time Vuzix seem to have the edge when it comes to picture quality. I am very happy with it but using it is a strange experience, I'd suggest reading many reviews and giving it careful consideration before buying one.

It seems the Wrap version is out, which includes some nice optional extras like 6dof+compass head tracker and stereo webcams. It's non-occluded too so better for wearable computing on the move. I may get one.

I don't feel like an idiot even when I'm wearing idiotic things so I'm the wrong person to ask about that. Check out the Vuzix site for pics: http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/index.html

"Top 10" Video Glasses:
http://www.allvideoglasses.com/top-10-video-glasses
I know, the Zeiss Cinemizer can do real 3D but AFAIK there are not many Apps that support this feature:
http://www.zeiss.com/cinemizer

Tuxedomask29 said:

Link 1
Link 2
Yeah there's tons of different glasses out there. I just liked these because for one, they support 800x600 instead of the normal 640x480 or 320x240. Also, while possibly not a good idea, but you should be able to walk around normally while watching a movie. Plus I've always heard the dual screen ones tend to cause headaches.

Tuxedomask29 said:
Plus I've always heard the dual screen ones tend to cause headaches.
I'd take that with a grain of salt. People say all sorts of things cause headaches that don't or only do for some people.

Tuxedomask29 said:
Tuxedomask29 said:

Link 1
Link 2
Yeah there's tons of different glasses out there. I just liked these because for one, they support 800x600 instead of the normal 640x480 or 320x240. Also, while possibly not a good idea, but you should be able to walk around normally while watching a movie. Plus I've always heard the dual screen ones tend to cause headaches.
Two pandoras and some duct tape would be 800x480x2.

Tuxedomask29 said:
Tuxedomask29 said:

Link 1
Link 2
Sorry But you're not going to be getting that res from the pandora. Might as well save the cash

realjdpgs5.png

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• realjdpgs5.png
    realjdpgs5.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 219
MonkeyChops said:
*picture*
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
"Now with screen AND video glasses, for that double visual experience."

banjeed said:
Tuxedomask29 said:
Tuxedomask29 said:

Link 1
Link 2
Sorry But you're not going to be getting that res from the pandora. Might as well save the cash
Several incorrect facts here, I'll correct them. First, the correct name is "head mounted displays", not projectors, they project nothing. Also, regarding the densities, most (of the many available via eBay) are either 320x240 or 640x480, with only a small fraction (of those which can be had below $800) are 800x600 ... however, all of those which I have seen are multisync, so a 800x600 unit will do 800x480 just fine. Be careful, the advertised densities are often obscred by advertising the product of the vertical*horizontal sizes, a value which is useless. They often multiply the values by 3 for RGB and 2 for stereovision(6 total). Any ad which doesn't give you the actual H & V should be doubted.

Back when I first pre-ordered my Pandora, I decided to begin hunting such a unit (800x600), so I know that they CAN be had for ~300$ (but it took me 8 months to get mine), and that they ARE mostly multisync, because I verified that with more than a few sellers. Mine is. That headache business sounds like a personal problem, not a fact. I know that if you ever see such a device designed to be MONOcular, doing that might be a good idea. They do also exist (mine isn't such).

chuckr said:
a 800x600 unit will do 800x480 just fine.

Yes, but the Video-out of the Pandora is S-Video (hence 'TV Out'), it doesn't output the 800x480 native internal res of the Pandora, you'll only get 'TV' resolution which is effectively no better than 640x480.

Back