Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
While not entirely related to GP2X, (not yet playable there), but it's here:

http://notaz.gp2x.de/svp.php

For those who have no clue, this is Genesis/MD (NOT 32X) version of Virtua Racing, a game which had a cartridge with previously unemulated SVP chip.

The GP2X runs this at ~17 fps, ~ 1/4 of speed, frameskip has no effect, entirely unplayable. But with some extensive work, it might be possible to emulate this on GP2X with reasonable speed.

The question is, would YOU play this on your GP2X?
Vote now!

EDIT: just to clarify, the proof of concept version posted there is for Windows (which is fully playable), not GP2X.

Well, playability aside this still is quite a feat! That's a first for any MD emu isn't it? Anyways, congratulations and thanks for all your work!

Unbelievably fantastic news! Even when playable speeds will never be archived this is a fantastic tech demo.
I always liked all versions of Virtua Racing so please go for it, notaz!

Regards,
Stephan

Very very impressive.

I would love to be able to play VirtuaRacing on the GP2x... if you could make it happen it'd be amazing.

That said, obviously only if you feel the drive to make it so - but if you do, I can promise this would end up on my SD for pick-up-and-play MD racing mayhem :).

EDIT: It also partially depends on what the "something better" is, I suppose...

So I'm the first guy to vote no. If you did it, I would play it a little, but not a whole lot.

It is extremely impressive that you've been able to accomplish emulation of this game, because AFAIK, this hasn't even been accomplished on PC emulators. At the end though, I just feel it's not worth the effort to play a single game.

Obviously that logic does not apply however if you are primarily interested in accomplishing a novel technological feat, which is no doubt impressive.

I used to play a ton of Virtua Racing, so of course I'd play it again on the GP2X. Thanks for your other work too.

edit: I just read the SVP doc, very interesting

Hmm... if it is indeed within reach of being playable, then why not. :)

(What would be the trade-off for such an investment? :unsure: )

VR was an awesome game...I worked at Sega at that time :)

It only ran at around 17FPS on the MD so you have pretty much reached it's previous speed.

Having it run faster?

Yes please :)

Tony

I voted yes could I definitely would at least play it a little. Given your track record of perfection can't help but wonder what something else better would be though. Anyway it seems you wanted to work on this and just want to make sure people will play it. In that case i'll definitely play it and be happy you added support for the game.

though I'd probably want some of the snes special chips emulated more this is still definitely cool and worthwhile.

Very nice, how on earth have you managed that! Keep going we wanna play it.

Thanks again.

EDIT

Just played on windows version...bloody good, it runs great. You've got to get it running on the Gp2X, you da man!

I also gotta ask--how does emulating the SVP compare to just emulating the 32X on gp2x?

After all, the 32X version of virtua racing has extra cars and tracks. And then of course we'd have all the other 32X games playable as well. Or maybe Notaz is just enjoying the challenge of emulating SVP.

I think that if you can make this game run properly, you can make the 2D Megadrive32x games run...

Or maybe I'm wrong and it's impossible for the gp2x

tonyt said:
It only ran at around 17FPS on the MD so you have pretty much reached it's previous speed.
VR updates the screen every 4 frames, 17fps I mentioned was counted when rendering those repeating frames, so the real visible fps on GP2X is ~4 fps in current implementation.

naples39 said:
I also gotta ask--how does emulating the SVP compare to just emulating the 32X on gp2x?
It would be quite a bit easier (SVP is less complex then 32X with it's 2 SH2s) and I feel SVP has more chances running at playable speeds when dynarec is implemented (then 32X).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only that I would play it, this would be one of the greatest achievements in portable emulation of all time.

Please take the time to accomplish it, Notaz.

Propeller

You have already made great steps to get this far! Any additional development you make would surely never be wasted as it could be implemented in further homebrew handhelds further down the line.

What a fantastic feat you have achieved, very very impressive :D I would certainly love to play this gem of a game on my 2x.

I voted no. This is a great technical accomplishment and for the sake of preservation I think it was a huge benefit to emulation too. However, when it comes to getting things working on a platform such as GP2X I think how pragmatic it is plays much more of a role. This is just personal opinion, but I think that the Genesis Virtua Racing isn't really that good of a game and I don't know if it's worth spending all the time writing a recompiler just for it.

On the other hand, this is assuming there are better things you're interested in doing, if not then you should go for it. Also if you want good dynarec experience, then this might be an ideal opportunity for it since you'd just have to handle the CPU.

Back