VLC

kraahl posted on Aug 20 2003 said:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

This is a very efficient movieplayer, consumes very little cpu power. Supposed to be "Highly portable" according to site.
Have you seen the list of required libraries? That'd take a long time to port, IMO.

Whereas ffmpeg seems a little less work, so I'm attempting a port right now. I've got libavcodec compiling (who knows if it actually works though :p), and I'm fighting with getting ffplay working. Luckily, ffplay uses SDL. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
unit3 posted on Aug 20 2003 said:
kraahl posted on Aug 20 2003 said:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

This is a very efficient movieplayer, consumes very little cpu power. Supposed to be "Highly portable" according to site.
Have you seen the list of required libraries? That'd take a long time to port, IMO.

Whereas ffmpeg seems a little less work, so I'm attempting a port right now. I've got libavcodec compiling (who knows if it actually works though :p), and I'm fighting with getting ffplay working. Luckily, ffplay uses SDL. :)
My programming skills are extremly limited so I wouldn´t know. A shame it would be hard to port becasue it is a very good movieplayer.

Yeah, VLC's alright... however, (and not many people know this) MPlayer (the most successful movie player under Linux, IMO) is based entirely on the codec reading capabilities supplied by ffmpeg's avcodec library. So, if I can get ffplay ported (the SDL-based player app of ffmpeg), then we should be able to play any movie under the sun on our Gameparks (plus just plain audio files like mp3 and ogg vorbis as well), assuming a codec that'll decompress in realtime on a 133Mhz system. ;)

If anyone wants to give me a hand in getting this done, check my thread in the development forum. I'm having some compile issues right now with ffplay, but the libraries themselves compiled fine, so worst-case senario is that we just have to write a little playing app / interface ourselves. :)

unit3 posted on Aug 21 2003 said:
If anyone wants to give me a hand in getting this done, check my thread in the development forum. I'm having some compile issues right now with ffplay, but the libraries themselves compiled fine, so worst-case senario is that we just have to write a little playing app / interface ourselves. :)

I'm not much of a programmer, but I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the work that you're doing, and I know you'll figure things out and churn out an awesome port! :)

Back