Beta Vlc

Prometheus said:
I just did some testing with some video files that I ripped according to the method I link to in my signature (so, they are MP4 files, containing ffmpeg-encoded MPEG-4 video and faac-encoded 128kbps AAC audio). These same ones have already been tested as working in GNOME-mplayer on the Pandora, as well as Kaffeine on my main box (which runs Kubuntu, with one of the 3.x KDE versions), and QuickTime Player on my Macintosh.

With this build of VLC, I get crackly sound for about five to ten seconds after the file starts to play, and I get no picture unless I set it to full-screen - however, the picture issue also applies to trying to watch these things in GNOME-mplayer as well, so I doubt that's an issue exclusive to VLC here. :p Other than that, it plays exactly the same as it would in any other build of VLC, and is perfectly smooth even if I don't overclock my Pandora. The result is the same no matter how much overclocking is applied, too.

It's not the same problem, per se, but I do briefly get crackly sound. :p
Thanks for your tests :)

Your post made me try ffplay (the ffmpeg player) :
Code:
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/desktop/vlc.pnd -m #guessing your vlc is there
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:-"/usr/lib:/lib"}:/mnt/utmp/vlc/lib"

bin/ffplay /media/mmcblk0p1/video.avi

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/desktop/vlc.pnd -u
I also tryed the command-line vlc (bin/cvlc). They both don't get the cracky sound issue, and run very fine on the CPU.

It's only the qvlc frontend that get the sound problem. That's may be related to QT + SDL being used or something.
I'll dig deeper.

Thanks again :), now I know I'm not the only one with the sound issue (thus excluding hardware issue).

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. :)

Just to be accurate, I would describe the sound issue I encountered to be more "juddery" than crackly. It's not skippy or anything - it's just like it's "struggling" to play for a few seconds. I think that's a better description. :p

sebt3 said:
God Ginrai said:
*cough*just goes to show you which is better*cough*
God : That was *realy* usefull and appreciated. I give me many more reason to work day and night to provide these cross-compile...

Anyone with the same problem ?

I try. ;) Ok, in all seriousness, tho', try giving it a rundown in Minimenu after running background-killer. I know that with mplayer, if it were to have problems in the GUI version but not in the console version, that it would have to be due to CPU usage caused by the GUI, so maybe it is the same with VLC?

-God Ginrai

Here is a small m3u file that links to some live UK TV streams, maybe someone would like to try it. You change the channel you just select a different item from the playlist obviously.

View attachment 448

Let me know if it works for you please (may not work in other countries, I don't know).

I just gave this a quick go, but I got very juddery/crackly sound, and a very blocky picture where the frames would barely update (and which had to be viewed full-screen to see anything at all). Some of the channels simply didn't work at all. It wasn't watchable in the slightest, I'm afraid. (For thoroughness, I also tried this in GNOME-mplayer, where it fared even worse.)

However, my connection is only 1mbps, as that's all I really need, so this may not be the fault of VLC, but of my connection instead. :p (Although I haven't had issues streaming things on my ThinkPad or MacBook, that said.)

TitanUranus said:
Here is a small m3u file that links to some live UK TV streams, maybe someone would like to try it. You change the channel you just select a different item from the playlist obviously.

View attachment 448

Let me know if it works for you please (may not work in other countries, I don't know).

Works for me in Holland on my PC - but not through gnome player on the Pandora(couldn't download VLC at that time last night (just back from holiday).

Mqark said:
TitanUranus said:

View attachment 448

Works for me in Holland on my PC - but not through gnome player on the Pandora(couldn't download VLC at that time last night (just back from holiday).

Oh well, you don't know till you try eh. Just thought it might be useful for some folks if it did work. Thanks for testing it.

i have a problem, i can't open RSTP stream with this VLC but the stream play fine on my PC VLC. is there something missing on this VLC?

Alerino said:
sebt, how do you run a PND'ed vlc from command line, cvlc for instance?
mount the PND manually and run it :
Code:
 /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p /path/to/your/file.pnd -e
 export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/utmp/vlc/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:-"/lib:/usr/lib"}
 export PATH=/mnt/utmp/vlc/bin:$PATH
 cvlc /your/file.avi
 # or :
 ffplay /your/file.avi

Have a look at the bin dir :)

EDIT : to umount :
Code:
 /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p /path/to/your/file.pnd -u

and a warning, this just from my memory, you will need to adapt...

Yod4z said:
is it possible to have new version of VLC ported?
The pnd available is 1.1.0. The lastest version is 1.1.4 which solely fix 2 crash bugs for us.
So I'll do it. But it's far from my 1st priority...
If you want it faster, you could do it yourself, I'll support you :)

sebt3, thx for the VLC player! As it seems, it's the only player atm that allows to play .vob files copied from DVDs. They play back great, I didn't have any crackling sound as with .avi or .mkv containers.
You have to watch fullscreen though and I still have a big black border around the movie but that's ok for now :)

Thx again!

I just realized that the VLC player in the start-menu is located in 'other'. Could you please change that, that it appears in 'multimedia' instead?

zapman said:
I just realized that the VLC player in the start-menu is located in 'other'. Could you please change that, that it appears in 'multimedia' instead?
Oups. Fixed.

I guess this wasn't realy good :
Code:
    <categories>
      <category name="">
        <subcategory name=""/>
      </category>

:D

With the post up there ^^^^ that pnd does not execute. ./scripts/vlc.sh exe: line 7: ./bin/vlc: not found

xopher said:
With the post up there ^^^^ that pnd does not execute. ./scripts/vlc.sh exe: line 7: ./bin/vlc: not found

Argh !!! this is what happen when you want to do something on the go...
Use the old one while waiting. sorry :(

sebt3 said:
xopher said:

s'ok....I reverted :) just wanted to let ya know

sebt3 said:
xopher said:

I hope this is the last time I say "Oups. Fixed." :)

Back