Volume Slider

That does sound good, actually... and probably a lot easier to source. Wonder how it would work engineering-wise? I suppose we'd have to wait for MWeston on that one's possibility. Nice idea, though - melikes :)

Sorry but the Switch + slider idea is really hokey ;) It would be the laughing stock of the portable device community.

If all you could get is a 6mm slider than I say dump it for a wheel. I don't want to have to employ a micro precision surgical robotic arm to adjust to the desired volume ;) Just breathe on that slider and you will throw the volume off by 50 dB.

As a matter of academic inquiry, are there any potentiometer-wheels what would fit into the same part size? Just in case it's actually easier to source and fit in. After all, if it fits into the same space, then even with it, there'd still be room for the stylus.

meh, whats the use of having a vote when you then choose against it and want to use a crappy slider anyways :-/ those things are just annoying, its impossible to adjust them correctly.

Also a 180° (or standing/watever) poti should even be smaller, you could just put it at the side of the pcb and make a small opening on the top/inner of the p&|a, like next to the keyboard or somewhere, this way you have a wheel with high travel, its protected when the unit is closed, and its a off the shelf part that everyone can replace even after xx years

I never spoke out against the wheel. I would love a vol. wheel. But, the slider + switch is a possibility for if we can't find a large enough slider or a wheel that works.

-God Ginrai

Slider + switch seems a little ridiculous. If you're on the border between low and high, you would have to turn down the slider all the way, then flick the switch to make it just a bit louder? Either that or flick the switch first and blow out your eardrums.

DaveC said:
Sorry but the Switch + slider idea is really hokey ;) It would be the laughing stock of the portable device community.

If all you could get is a 6mm slider than I say dump it for a wheel. I don't want to have to employ a micro precision surgical robotic arm to adjust to the desired volume ;) Just breathe on that slider and you will throw the volume off by 50 dB.

I agree on all accounts!

If you are carrying around in your pocket a 6mm slider is sure to get knocked slightly.

I would have to say a digital control, controlled by the os/firmware is still the most attractive option, it must be possible to do without the troubles that gp2x has with app dependant volume. Just two little buttons. The main beinfit is that it can also be locked, say, if you are listening to music in your pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think a digital volume control tied to the kernel shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, are we going to see software using direct access to the hardware?

If not, then we can go for the digital control, that should save enough space for the stylus.

Don't get me wrong, I also prefer a non-digital volume control, and a little wheel volume control would be perfect.

But I prefer a good digital control than a bad slider that stops working after some use. I've seen sliders causing sound distorsion after some use.

Hope they find a high quality slider (or wheel) that fits well on the Pandora.

I fail to see how a digital volume control, when done correctly would be a bad thing.

See: PSP, Laptops, Pretty much every MP3 player on sale at the moment...

Could there be a problem with in-game volume control? Would every game have to implement some kind of method of accessing the volume control.

But don't laptops, mp3 players all have buttons to press to increase/decrease volume?

geo12 said:
Slider + switch seems a little ridiculous. If you're on the border between low and high, you would have to turn down the slider all the way, then flick the switch to make it just a bit louder? Either that or flick the switch first and blow out your eardrums.
That is a problem yes, but it could be engineered so that when you switch between low and high the slider is reversed, so switching from the top end of low goes to the bottom end of high. Thats just getting stupid though, and as DaveC said its not an elegant solution. It was late I was tired and i was just throwing ideas around.

I think i may have found a possible solution, the reason everyone seems to be against digital control is due to gp2x and how the volume changing depended on the dev of the program being used, so why not use on of these

http://www.maxim-ic.com.cn/pdfserv/en/ad/MAX5481-AD.pdf
in particular the 2nd one on the right.

Ive never used or studied these so am not 100% sure how they work, but it appears to be a digital varibale resistor, the one i suggested appears to have a pin for up and a pin for down. It will also remember the last value it was at when it was turned off. I think 1024 different volume levels should be enough :p .

Pricing looks a little high, but maybe it decreases in bulk. I have no idea about avaliablitiy either.

teggun said:
just stick two buttons on the side, up and down.
Was that in response to my post?

Two buttons on the side, connected to the chip i suggested would provide full digital control over the volume and not be reliant on implementation in each peice of software.

Geuben said:
Two buttons on the side, connected to the chip i suggested would provide full digital control over the volume and not be reliant on implementation in each peice of software.
Heh, those look great - not come across them before. Much better than the 6mm slider. Course there still needs to be two buttons - or a small rocker to control it. Really need two buttons + a switch to lock it. Thought there could also be an and gate connected with the controls (must be one spare - or gpio pin...), so audio apps could lock it in software for when its in the pocket.

Mark

foft said:
Heh, those look great - not come across them before. Much better than the 6mm slider. Course there still needs to be two buttons - or a small rocker to control it. Really need two buttons + a switch to lock it. Thought there could also be an and gate connected with the controls (must be one spare - or gpio pin...), so audio apps could lock it in software for when its in the pocket.

Mark
Id never come across them before either, I was just thinking about the problem earlier and though "humm...is there such thing as a digital variable resistor", and there was :p

I cant decide which i personally think would be better, a hold switch for the volume or a software enabled lock.

Just have two slightly indented buttons that are connected to GPIO. The kernel could handle all the volume and locking, so no other software need bother with the volume control. Also, this means that you could press both volume buttons as an instant mute, and press again to slowly increase volume back to original level. The mute could also be broadcast to other software, which could perform a pause functionality for when playing mp3's/etc.

Squidge said:
Just have two slightly indented buttons that are connected to GPIO. The kernel could handle all the volume and locking, so no other software need bother with the volume control. Also, this means that you could press both volume buttons as an instant mute, and press again to slowly increase volume back to original level. The mute could also be broadcast to other software, which could perform a pause functionality for when playing mp3's/etc.
I agree, the kernel could easily handle the volume control withonly two buttons, but I think the concerns are that the gp2x had two buttons to control the volume and look what a hash was made of that. Obviously the pandora isn't being made by GPH, I doubt anyone (Well there will always be someone) will complain if digital volume control is implemented into kernel properly.

Back