Wait? Or Not?

Joshsux

Still Fresh
Hey guys, Looking at buying a GP2X F-200 and was just wondering if i should wait for this to be released?

Theres no fact that it will succeed and i could be out $300 like that....

Yet theres so much promise with it, And it's so close to being released.

I need some advice on what you guys think please.

Thanks in advance.
Josh.

Jesus christ, is that like the fastest reply I've ever had ?

And i don't know if i want too, I know NOTHING at all about the Pandora..... And it's still 1 - 2 months off and that's not even 100% confirmed. It will probably be delayed since it's not being made by a huge major company?

I don't know enough on all this stuff, I'm probably wrong, But i just need to know if the extra $$$ for the Pandora, the wait, and the hope that the community supports it with emulators as much as the GP2X otherwise it will be useless for me?

I really like whats happening with Pandora though!

Thanks again!
Josh.

If you buy gp2x now, you'll regret it sooner or later, because Pandora will rock hard and you'll have no money to buy it :p You can trust me on that...

How much more is it going to be? "In Aus $ or USA i'll convert? How sure are they of a release in the next month or two like stated?? Are they even going to have a place for us Australian's to buy???

What emulators and stuff are going to be supported when it's released? will i have to wait weeks before somebody makes emulators compatible?

Questions like these are hard for me to search for, and are never clearly stated anywhere, it's always just "We hope...." Which for me the buyer isn't very good!

But thanks again for the quick reply, I'm going to bed now, Hopefully i get a few posts telling me why to actually wait instead of just saying i will regret it.

Best Regards,
Josh.

Thanks... Didn't answer ALL my questions but most...

And $320? That's like $350 - $360AU it would wanna be good for that price, Just buy a Wii and do emulation... Haha kiddin!

Will it come with a SD card for that price or anything?

Still considering waiting for one, But that price is pretty far fetched, Again i don't know much about these so i have no idea.

Thanks heaps mate, now i really am going to sleep

Your question has merit, if you wait you could be sitting with lonely thumbs for 3-4-5 months. Then when you manage to get a unit, it would be a first release and as with every first release it would have bugs and problems. Not to mention it would take a couple months for the Quality software. Even though it will handle many things right out of the gate, for many of the top shelf games and programs you will have to wait.

While on the GP2X the best is already there, you could get one today, have it full of Great software tomorrow. It has been through some hardware revisions, and is like a rock now.

However if you did get in on the first wave, you would have the ultimate handheld. The cream of the crop. And while you tease your friends with it's greatness there will be people diligently creating incredible software to bring the world to your handheld.

I would wait, but I would get a GP2X to play with while I wait. I wouldn't be surprised if you will be able to make your GP2X talk to your Pandora. Hell they may be able to play some of the same games in multiplayer modes together, one never knows.

When you think about how much more power and functionality the Pandora has vs. the PSP or any other "advanced" handheld currently out, and then compare the prices, the Pandora has much more value over anything out there. You just can't get a more advanced handheld, in my opinion.

Is that worth the wait? The measly $320? I think so. :)

Josheh said:
Will it come with a SD card for that price or anything?
No. But I hear these are cheap.

Josheh said:
Still considering waiting for one, But that price is pretty far fetched, Again i don't know much about these so i have no idea.
Well, let me help you get an idea. Think about how much more power and functionality the Pandora has vs. the PSP or any other so-called "advanced" handheld currently out. Now compare the prices. The PSP costs $200, 2/3 of the Pandora's price, and can barely do what the Pandora will do. The GP2X simply does not stack up at all in any function. The Pandora has much more value over anything out there. You just can't get a more advanced handheld, in my opinion.

Is that worth the wait? The measly $320? I think so. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, I suggest IF you plan on going with the GP2X then you should get the original off ebay, save your money then get the Pandora on second release.

Well, there's not really much to wait "if it succeeds" since it will be able to do everything the GP2X can (and better). With support for Debian ARM packages (and supposed ease of porting a lot of software) it will be much more than you'd ever get with the GP2X. That said, it's more expensive, and we won't get things like N64 emulation without a nice dev base. But I don't see why we wouldn't have at the very least the same size dev base as the GP2X.

Josheh said:
Still considering waiting for one, But that price is pretty far fetched
They cannot lower price of console like sony does(that will totaly cut off their profit). I except that price will even go up over 400 bucks

Yeah Sony make money off games, craig etc. have to make it purely from console sales

If Pandora lives up to its proposed design & specs, and devs embrace it - it will be worth $300 - $400.

Thing is, Pandora is not merely the next "GP." Yes, it's certainly capable of everything the GP32/GP2X could do. But it also has tremendous potential as a viable handheld computing device for productivity apps. So to some buyers, it's as much a UMPC and/or PDA type device, that also will be a great gaming/multimedia device.

If all goes well, Pandora could become an "underground" phenomenon amongst tech enthusaists. I think the Pandora team knows that, and has their fingers crossed that it goes down that way.

Anyway - yeah, I think the price will worth it if all goes as planned.

Why does everyone think the price is going to be so much more than what they've announced? They know what the component costs are. I think the only thing that would cause major price changes is currency devaluation, which is what they said as well.

I won't rehash what everyone else said - there are good reasons to buy a GP2X now but there's a strong case for waiting, too. Especially if your budget only allows for one or the other.

Here's what I've laid out so far on my GP2X F200. I'm in Australia.

GP2X $229
Carry case $29
AC Adaptor $29
2x 2GB SD Card $50 (25ea)
4 batteries & charger $70

Total $407 AUD. (I could have done it cheaper but I went for quality, especially with the batteries).

There will be no silly battery & charger purchase necessary for Pandora. Unconfirmed chatter seems to be that it will come with a TV out cable, something that would cost me further $18 for the GP2X. With all its power and potential, Pandora is looking like mighty good value.

Our dollar is strong against the US at the moment so I'm expecting a price of $350 AUD. Add anything from $20 to $50 for postage from overseas, and you're still in value country. :)

Exophase said:
Why does everyone think the price is going to be so much more than what they've announced? They know what the component costs are.
As I know the discipline of the market: 1/3 is the reseller's profit. That opens pandora true name that had been heard many times before - "the craginator", the parasite that feeds Craig :)
Even if the pandora ends like a gizmondo ( i mean by pesty-punky design) the pandora's team will earn their gold from fools that spend their gp2x money on "blackbox with no future"

quasist said:
As I know the discipline of the market: 1/3 is the reseller's profit. That opens pandora true name that had been heard many times before - "the craginator", the parasite that feeds Craig :)
Even if the pandora ends like a gizmondo ( i mean by pesty-punky design) the pandora's team will earn their gold from fools that spend their gp2x money on "blackbox with no future"
They already announced a price. Wouldn't it be stupid to announce a price that you deliberately have no intention of keeping? We don't know the component costs, they do. If you somehow knew that the announced price would be guaranteeing them to low of a profit then that'd be another story, but you don't.

Back