Wanna Play Your Ps1 Games On Psp?

thanks steve-o, it all works lovely, just tried gran turismo and it works ace, now im gona try and rip some of my original games, is it just a case of using popstation and thats it? um jammer lammy was to be my fiirst but i hear the sound messes up, ive also noticed games already converted for psp are showing up on some sites.

I highly recommend using this to convert your games. It will sort out all the save game problems too. Just remember to use the same SCUS code for each disc of multi-disc games to make saves work between discs.

ok i finally ripped lammy to iso file, used pop station gui, created the eboot and keys files and the psp wont load it, it goes to then i get 'game could not be started' (80000004) any idea what i done wrong?

triksR4rabits posted on Dec 28 2006 at 06:37 PM said:
anyone know the typical size of ripped psx games?

hhmm, Depends what you mean by ripped.. Do you mean ripped as in ripped from a PSX disc to the PC and converted to the PSP or Ripped as in Music / movies removed??? If you mean ripped from a psx disc and put onto the PSP it depends game to game but you are looking at around 200 - 650mb per game (Multidiscs will be more..) If you meant ripped as in movies etc removed then it depends again on how much you remove..

CUPC4KES posted on Dec 28 2006 at 06:38 PM said:
ok i finally ripped lammy to iso file, used pop station gui, created the eboot and keys files and the psp wont load it, it goes to then i get 'game could not be started' (80000004) any idea what i done wrong?

I just use CDRWin to make a Bin and Cue file. Then I follow the standard Dark Alex command line instructions (found in the dark alex 3.02 OE B update) to creat the eboot... When you made the Eboot did you make sure you hade the Hot Shots Golf eboot.pbp (renamed to base.pbp) and the hot shots Key file in the same folder??

Last edited by a moderator:
I converted it again with sces instead of scus, and used the real serial number from the game box (sces01753) and it worked, apart from the bottom of the screen was cut off and the sound was crappy and the game was out of sync with the music, but i knew this anyway, off down the cellar tomorrow mornin to dig out some old games, thanks for all the help, especialy steve-o and subcon, cheers guys

does this firmware update mean i wont be able to play original UMD games and or wont be able to play them online?

(i havent ever used a psp)

It's just like being on the official 3.02 firmware except you can also run homebrew designed for 1.5. There is also a region free option for using foreign UMDs but I haven't tested it.

WOW!!! FF7 ... works! I converted it finally after a couple of hours of struggle;

• I first downloaded a .torrent of FF7 disc one, ready-to-go (because I'm very thick) ... and was sharply reminded that I can't read Spanish :lol:
• Then I grew some courage and started up ISO Magic, and ripped my FF7 disc to and .ISO file named FF7.ISO
• Next, I ran POPstation (with the GUI, again, because I'm thick) to convert it .. including some nice icon files I grabbed from Maxconsole, stuck the resulting EBOOT & KEY files on my card, the PSP saw the game, but after trying to run it, I got the PS3-to-PSP splash screen, then blackness!!
• Sooooo, after many attempts at folder renames, moves, file renames, etc, I re-ripped the disc as a .bin, rinse, repeated and all is well ... I can't fucking believe it.

One question though (and thanks for reading all this so far) ... Why is it that the Hot Shots 2 folder named "SCUS####" and the folder I named as FF7 both work, and I've been reading that the folder needs to be named with the "SCUS####" format ??? (or some proximity of that, I don't have the card reader attached ATM ...)

... I'm just thrilled that this finally worked, I'd just like to understand it more, so I can impart my knowledge to others :)

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the process of ripping FF7 right now, thanks for the tip :)

The folder name can be anything you want, I've been reading a lot about how you have to name it SCUSXXXXX too but that's not necessary. I think the only time the code comes into play is for saves.

I have got FF7 running, but am worried that when I want to change disc, I won't be able to continue.

That GUI sub, it just doesn't seem to work. So, hex editing.....

Help...

lubidog posted on Dec 28 2006 at 04:27 PM said:
I have got FF7 running, but am worried that when I want to change disc, I won't be able to continue.

That GUI sub, it just doesn't seem to work. So, hex editing.....

Help...

... um, as I seem to understand it, is this SCUS#### thingy the actual game serial number?

If so, maybe this is how the save will work from one game disc to the other? (Keep the same folder name, just replace the EBOOT and KEYS files (?))

I believe the way the emulator works is that for every SCUS ID thingy it sees it creates a new virtual memory card. That becomes a problem with multi-disc games because Sony gives every CD a different ID number. Therefore when you put in CD2 and try to load a previous save it simply won't see it because it's on a different virtual memory card. Hence why we need to edit each disc and give them the same ID.

That's the way I think it works, I could be totally wrong :p

The GUI works great for me, but I've noticed a lot of people having problems with it. All it does is do the hex editing for you so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the ID is inside the file and has nothing to do with the folder name.

so if I play FF7 and need to change the cd to disc 2, I can just hex edit the new eboot.pbp and change the save file to the old one?

Thanks, exciting times...

First of all... =/ the screen is not worth getting a PSP. I don't care that I can play PSX games. I hate the screen because it's so ghosty!

That being said...

Why is there a problem about multi disc games? The only game that requires you to switch discs midgame without saving is some Metal Gear Solid game. Just save and have the next disc prepared.

TelcoLou posted on Dec 28 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
WOW!!! FF7 ... works! I converted it finally after a couple of hours of struggle;

• I first downloaded a .torrent of FF7 disc one, ready-to-go (because I'm very thick) ... and was sharply reminded that I can't read Spanish :lol:
• Then I grew some courage and started up ISO Magic, and ripped my FF7 disc to and .ISO file named FF7.ISO
• Next, I ran POPstation (with the GUI, again, because I'm thick) to convert it .. including some nice icon files I grabbed from Maxconsole, stuck the resulting EBOOT & KEY files on my card, the PSP saw the game, but after trying to run it, I got the PS3-to-PSP splash screen, then blackness!!
• Sooooo, after many attempts at folder renames, moves, file renames, etc, I re-ripped the disc as a .bin, rinse, repeated and all is well ... I can't fucking believe it.

One question though (and thanks for reading all this so far) ... Why is it that the Hot Shots 2 folder named "SCUS####" and the folder I named as FF7 both work, and I've been reading that the folder needs to be named with the "SCUS####" format ??? (or some proximity of that, I don't have the card reader attached ATM ...)

... I'm just thrilled that this finally worked, I'd just like to understand it more, so I can impart my knowledge to others :)

Thanks in advance.

Jesus H. Christ that sounds involved. I am tempted to dig out that 1.5 PSP that I have had in moth balls since it came out to mess with emus but the whole process sounds like alot of steps. I wish it was as simple as "Put this program on the MS if you have 1.5, run it, then load on emus" . Side scrollers are real smeary but many 3d games are playable. I am not that big on PSX really though as the games eat up alot of space, but it would be cool to fuck with.

Shikaku posted on Dec 28 2006 at 11:19 PM said:
First of all... =/ the screen is not worth getting a PSP. I don't care that I can play PSX games. I hate the screen because it's so ghosty!

That being said...

Why is there a problem about multi disc games? The only game that requires you to switch discs midgame without saving is some Metal Gear Solid game. Just save and have the next disc prepared.

... yeah, but the save might not get recognized by disc 2, or somehting like that ... we'll just wait and see. I also hated the screen, but FF7 ... portable and full speed!! I can deal with it ;)

And GBA games look nice even scaled ... yes, scaled! :ph34r:

DaveC posted on Dec 28 2006 at 11:32 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Dec 28 2006 at 09:17 PM said:

Thanks in advance.

Jesus H. Christ that sounds involved. I am tempted to dig out that 1.5 PSP that I have had in moth balls since it came out to mess with emus but the whole process sounds like alot of steps. I wish it was as simple as "Put this program on the MS if you have 1.5, run it, then load on emus" . Side scrollers are real smeary but many 3d games are playable. I am not that big on PSX really though as the games eat up alot of space, but it would be cool to fuck with.

Well, I had a 2.6 FW, so I had to jump thru hoops to get down to 1.5, so you can just run the OE-A install, then the OE-B upgrade and you should be good :)

Hopefully someone will be able make a standalone emulator that's compatible with straight-forward backups.. and also does usb-streaming so we don't have to wait an eternity to copy the bloody things to the memory stick.

Shikaku posted on Dec 29 2006 at 04:19 AM said:

Attention, We have a pure GP2x Fanboy here ;) LOL...

First of all, Do you even Own a PSP to have a proper go on and look at the screen??? Personally I think the screen is great and the PSP is well worth it.. Technically it can do all the GP2x can do (I think) and more eg Perfect PSX emulation etc ;) Dont get me wrong the GP2x is great but I think Im now glad I stuck with the GP32 and got a PSP. I think the only thing I would like a GP2x for nwo would be the TV Out feature...

subcon959 posted on Dec 29 2006 at 05:21 AM said:
Hopefully someone will be able make a standalone emulator that's compatible with straight-forward backups.. and also does usb-streaming so we don't have to wait an eternity to copy the bloody things to the memory stick.

Would be good but I think this sony one will be the best for a very long time (Oh yea, Thanks Sony for making use a near Perfect PSX Emu :D). Also, Theirs lots of GUI Converter mods flying around now so that will make it easier to convert them Plus I like the way that you can boot the PSX Games straight from the PSP Game menu :)

Back