Want to explain what the Pyra is?

I thought that I (ok.. and probably DaMummy) am the one with the negative vibes here, what happened? oO
Loony and Grench fighting with each other over RAM (including direct insults), people throwing a hissy fit because of some insignificant logo-plate, others being offended by small jokes, Dunny not trusting ED's quality control and not pre-ordering, etc...

What happens here?
Shouldn't this be a time of jubilation?

I'm just exlaining how I feel, that might help. I don't get how how I feel is a negative vibe. Just imagine 90% of people think that plate and logo is awful and nobody said nothing. Maybe Pyra will have an awful lid forever while it could be changed easily.

One nice thing about the Pandora logo is that it is quite unobtrusive -- I hardly notice it is there. But then, any logo lit up by LEDs will be noticeable.
Plus that plate is a metal plate so it will be very noticeable even if the logo isn't lit up.

Is there a thermal reason, why the plate isn't made out of the same material as the rest of the case or is it just a design thing?
I don't really care either way, am just interested because I thought it would just be the same plastic.
It's hard to imagine how the combination of materials looks in real life, a render doesn't give me enough in this regard.

Is there a thermal reason, why the plate isn't made out of the same material as the rest of the case or is it just a design thing?
I don't really care either way, am just interested because I thought it would just be the same plastic.
It's hard to imagine how the combination of materials looks in real life, a render doesn't give me enough in this regard.
I believe ED just stated it was difficult to injection mold that section and have it durable.

Hi people.

Sorry, my english is really bad.

I was lurking around during the development of the pandora, but lost track after the two month (tm) of development.
Sadly I missed the release of the pandora.
I'm glad to be able to get one of the first Pyra

But now to the two pyra-explanation videos.
The video itself is realy good.
But the music gives me the "Kickstarter-/ Indigogo-scam" vibe.
I think the music alone scares of many potential buyer.
The music trigers the "get the the hell out of here" reflex within me.
Other people which seen the viedeos say the same.

I like the previous info-videos without music are much better for inform / attract people.

Sorry for this bad "first" post of me.

Friendly greetings
Bernhard from Austria (not Australia)

I believe ED just stated it was difficult to injection mold that section and have it durable.
My recollection is it was a suggestion by the case company, so it could be difficult to mould round. Personally I assume it's because PC has limited opacity, so it's hard to create a hard edged logo just using that material.

I also remember him saying, that his original plan was too difficult to build and he would go with an inlet instead. I don't remember him saying, why he chose aluminium, though.

I also remember him saying, that his original plan was too difficult to build and he would go with an inlet instead. I don't remember him saying, why he chose aluminium, though.
Yeah, that's what I gathered as well. I like the additional part since it makes customization a lot easier, would like to know why the deviating material was chosen though.

Hi

The problem is that hard edges are more expensive to produce in batch production then round edges.
(At least thats the case in the small company I work.)

The cheapest way is to leave the tool-radius of the end mill.

If you really want to get a different logo i'ts the easiest way to get a new plate from an company which offer sheet-metal cutting and give the worker a little tip.
For the iluminated infill, hotglue is the best solution.

If you dont like an aluminium / steel inlet, there are many 3d printing services, which deliver excelent plastic inlets with individual symbols.

I wonder how thick a cast-iron inlet would have to be to be not too fragile. That could be something I like. Not that I particularly dislike the aluminium or the logo, but if I could, I'd change it for me - personal touch and such.

This was what I understood. I thought it was because of those little parts that seem like they will be missing from the logo on the Pyra, so...yeah, I'm confused by the decision now.

My recollection is it was a suggestion by the case company, so it could be difficult to mould round. Personally I assume it's because PC has limited opacity, so it's hard to create a hard edged logo just using that material.
...or maybe that. Aren't they kinda the same thing? I guess your interpretation is more about quality and consistency.

The positive side is that it is easier to mod than a full plastic case.

Yeah, that's what I gathered as well. I like the additional part since it makes customization a lot easier, would like to know why the deviating material was chosen though.
YEAH! There we go, customize that thing. :D More clear info on why, and what the logo will actually look like would be nice, but I guess it isn't as important as we are making it seem (I hope...it does look a bit blah).

It is good to know the video/music is giving off a sleaze vibe. It isn't true (I hope :p), but newcomers won't that. I will show the video to some people and see what they have to say. Maybe ED didn't notice because of his sleep deprivation, and some of us didn't notice because we were distracted by the Pyra.

But now to the two pyra-explanation videos.
The video itself is realy good.
But the music gives me the "Kickstarter-/ Indigogo-scam" vibe.
I think the music alone scares of many potential buyer.
The music trigers the "get the the hell out of here" reflex within me.
Other people which seen the viedeos say the same.

I like the previous info-videos without music are much better for inform / attract people.

I agree. There are a lot of videos like that out there, from Google or from small YouTube gaming channels, with annoying (to me) background music all the time. I just assume that it is used to cover up background noise or similar. Or perhaps some people actually like this kind of music with videos (o_O).

In the this particular video, I think the music was also a little too loud.

I wonder how thick a cast-iron inlet would have to be to be not too fragile. That could be something I like. Not that I particularly dislike the aluminium or the logo, but if I could, I'd change it for me - personal touch and such.
Cast-Iron in one-pice batch is realy expensive.
That's the most expensive solution.

A laser cut inlet made of sheet metal is much cheaper.

By the way:
Copper and copper aloys need to be milled, sawed or water-jet cut.
They emit toxic gas and damage the optics when laser cut.
Thats the reason this material woult be a much more expensive inlet.

Hi

The problem is that hard edges are more expensive to produce in batch production then round edges.
(At least thats the case in the small company I work.)

The cheapest way is to leave the tool-radius of the end mill.

If you really want to get a different logo i'ts the easiest way to get a new plate from an company which offer sheet-metal cutting and give the worker a little tip.
Oh, ok. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying.
[doublepost=1462651023,1462650867][/doublepost]
By the way:
Copper and copper aloys need to be milled, sawed or water-jet cut.
They emit toxic gas and damage the optics when laser cut.
Thats the reason this material woult be a much more expensive inlet.
Then we do it by hand. That is my plan, anyway.

Ok, if you're that unsatisfied with the original plate, I hereby offer handmade logo plates for about 10€.
I got a lot of expensive tools for tiny wooden jewelry and traditional wooden mechanics anyway due to my job as an artisan.
Whether you want a batma...™ errr vampireman logo, a penis or an apple without the missing bite, I'm your man.
What I always have in abundance is well dried cherry wood, a bit of walnut, american oak and ash tree, got a collection of other more expensive sorts too stashed away and could provide black POM too if enough people are interested (wood would actually be cheaper and easier though). ;)

Last edited:
Best news is best news. I'll gladly pay tenfold that.
This makes me moooooooooist.

Do you think you could do the battery cover too?
----------------------------------------

It would be helpful with an exploded view of the logo. Maybe with a marking of where the LEDs are and the dimensions.
Big fan of the insert, don't like that its glued in.

But hey, disliking things are good if it means alternative ones can be sold.
I would certainly put every effort I can offer into it.

Last edited:
Ok, if you're that unsatisfied with the original plate, I hereby offer handmade logo plates for about 10€.
I got a lot of expensive tools for tiny wooden jewelry and traditional wooden mechanics anyway due to my job as an artisan.
Whether you want a batman logo, a penis or an apple without the missing bite, I'm your man.
What I always have in abundance is well dried cherry wood, a bit of walnut, american oak and ash tree, got a collection of other more expensive sorts too stashed away and could provide black POM too if enough people are interested (wood would actually be cheaper and easier though). ;)
Shipping worldwide?

Cast-Iron in one-pice batch is realy expensive.
That's the most expensive solution.
I wonder what makes it expensive. Is it the negative, that would have to be made just for one piece?

Whether you want a batman logo, a penis or an apple without the missing bite, I'm your man.
Is there a way to have a wooden inlet looking as if it's burnt (without it being a pile of ashes obviously or being sensitive to the touch).

Is there a way to have a wooden inlet looking as if it's burnt (without it being a pile of ashes obviously or being sensitive to the touch).
Sure, I could burn the surface with a soldering iron, got a small one for pyrography.
Shipping worldwide?
Why not? Those plates seem to be tiny (giving less room for bigger symbols though).

thanks for this nice short intro video ed!

i think it shows as much as possible in a short timeframe, thats good, but i too dislike the backgroundmusic.
it's too loud and really has that "startup has great product that changes world" sound, supergeneric and boring.
would be nice if we could get a 2nd spiced up version with maybe some catchy but "serious" chiptune?
it's an intro and it should sound a little bit like one imho, but not overdone to scare the more "serious" users.

I wonder what makes it expensive. Is it the negative, that would have to be made just for one piece?
The usual way is:

For cast iron, there is normaly a positive (ca. 3 to 5% larger because of shrinking during the cooling.)
This is normaly a hand made positive,
Then you have to make a lost mold.
The cast-iron part needs to be ground and / or milled to fitt in the cavity.

In the most cases you have to make more cast attempt to get a "good" part with the correct dimensions.

Laser cut sheet metal needs much less effort & is much faster to produce.

If you have to order a cast iron part from an foundry the first time, the usual time between order & delivery is 6 month to one year.

A laser cut part needs one day to 3 weeks. (Depends on the company, the contract and the price you want to pay)

Last edited:
Back