Want to (game) jam?

Yeah, know about them, but I guess it depends if we go down an 8bit sort of sound.

I've lost quite the touch, so I'm not able to make something worthy.
lol, you should see my graphics. Elw3 described my player character as having nappies on. If I had some more time, I'd try and polish them up, but we're running out, and I've not even finished the Minotaur's walk cycle - and we were thinking of adding a run cycle.

What were you looking for? chiptune? something upbeat, something relaxing?
Was looking for something ambient and a bit eerie. Our game is set in the labyrinth of the minotaur. If you're interested, I'll add you to the jam conversation?

Reactions: rSl
@pmprog I'm not that inspired tonight, but here is a sample of what I have now (basically spend an hour searching for samples). How many days did I have? 2 days only? I'll try to come up with a melody. Hope this is eerie enough.
I'll dim the tickety-ticketies and focus more on the bwhooooom. I chosen fairly high quality samples, we can lower the quality to make the track smaller. IT is impulse tracker, you can read it in fasttracker, and save it as XM without quality loss. VLC also plays it.

Attachments

• labyrinth_pmprog-sample.zip
    948.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Love
ffs just give me normal mp3 or ogg files.

@erico
apparently we where supposed to have that on itch.io but there is nothing there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is how the game will look tho http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-5f331eb66df497.13891505.jpg
As you can see, you dont see much.
Seems we follow the greek myth of the minotaur in the maze. You search the maze with the mouse and hope to not lose your char while doing that.

@pmprog I'm not that inspired tonight, but here is a sample of what I have now (basically spend an hour searching for samples). How many days did I have? 2 days only? I'll try to come up with a melody. Hope this is eerie enough.
I'll dim the tickety-ticketies and focus more on the bwhooooom. I chosen fairly high quality samples, we can lower the quality to make the track smaller. IT is impulse tracker, you can read it in fasttracker, and save it as XM without quality loss. VLC also plays it.
Sounds good to me. I just loaded it with OpenMPT, and looks like there's an option to Stream Export to MP3, so we can do that to give @Elw3 the final loop
Post automatically merged:

This is how the game will look tho http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-5f331eb66df497.13891505.jpg
As you can see, you dont see much.
Crap, you can't see the Minotaur all that well either... I'll have to change the floor colour so he stands out more

Seems we follow the greek myth of the minotaur in the maze. You search the maze with the mouse and hope to not lose your char while doing that.
I was thinking of giving the player a key (maybe "Home" and "Q") to take the camera back to the player?

@pmprog @Elw3 schism (as well as my Impulse Tracker - I still have my official licensed version...somewhere) has export to wav, and from there I can make it mp3 or ogg.
Post automatically merged:

Crap, you can't see the Minotaur all that well either... I'll have to change the floor colour so he stands out more
Why not add a sound effect when the minotaur "see" you: "I smell a human" (when from afar or no direct line of sight), "food" or "I got you now"

Ive been browsing a few of the other games in that contest. How dafuck does one manage to fill 30mb with assets for a 64 pixel game?

I assume if it's built in something like unity, it'll require all the runtimes

Ive been browsing a few of the other games in that contest. How dafuck does one manage to fill 30mb with assets for a 64 pixel game?
I wondered quite the opposite for produkkt. How do they fit so much graphics in 64kb.

I wondered quite the opposite for produkkt. How do they fit so much graphics in 64kb.
There will be quite a lot of procedural generation. UItilising a few rules, you can make some really neat stuff these days. Check out SPARTAN

Check out Ken Silverman's EVALDRAW on some of the fantastic things it can draw with a handful of lines of code.

Yea, these days most of a games size comes from libs and sound. Graphics alone is rather small.
You simply cant justify a 30mb lib just to power a game with 1mb actual size, that is bloating nonsense.

Ahrg and the one part of the games is for windows, the other complains about my html5 not working.

• Haha
Aye, not bad for a first jam entry, at least from my perspective.

I have been tempted to look at a couple more jams

Though I struggled with time on the two week jam, and I was only doing graphics on that one.

I expected it to be bigger tho. 11 votes average is something we can have in this forum too.
Its also kinda hard to compare anything with different categories separated, i mean you can have an genial entry where you had put 100 hours into the graphics, combined with a great gameplay and then you just rank 100th because you lacked sound or something.

I Have an idea for a contest: Graphic/ sound artists create their assets and programmers have to make games out of that, preferable using as much of the stuff as possible.
So the end result will be fully depending on how creative a programmer can work with existing stuff.
And the artists on the other hand are free to create whatever they like without getting restricted by what programmers want.

Sounds like you wanted this jam:

I also saw some YouTube videos pop in my feed that I meant to watch but haven't. By fluke I could kind of remember the title:

Back